Omg Sasha's Sp!!!!!!!!!! | Golden Skate

Omg Sasha's Sp!!!!!!!!!!

sarahmistral

On the Ice
It. Is. Incredible. Nats was a warmup for this SP--so connected, fiery and exciting from start to finish, jumps confident, securely landed, comfortably and with excitement that builds...WOW :love::love::love:

Now can someone send Robin Wagner to Canada to at least give Sandhu a 15-minute pep talk:) Because if she could give to him what she has given to Sasha, or some bit of it then... WOWZERS!!!! How to channel the fire evident within them, control and focus its power; I empathize with both because I'm a singer and, for the first two years of my professional career, for various psychological and personal reasons, I could never "sing out" (full volume, fearlessly, no shyness) in front of people whose performance ability I looked up to (basically everyone in my bands at the time:rolleye: ). So it IS really cathartic when it all comes together, when what you have locked within you, struggling against feelings of self-doubt and uncertainty, finally conquers those feelings, and you just LET LOOSE regardless of who's watching you. Sorry for going totally OT, but I had to include that, 'cuz I've been there in a sense, and it stunk, now back to Worlds:)

BTW, all of this courtesy of my girl Doggygirl, fellow Internet FS addict, who tipped me off to the website I have promoted and plugged like no other, run by a very nice Finnish lady named Julia who posts programs of the top skaters a few hours after they happen. (the ladies SP, which was about 18 hours ago, just went online, I think--top four) Between Eurosport and Julia's site:

www.somebodyelseslife.com/figureskating

ABC and ESPN aren't exactly keeping me in my seat; the excitement comes to ME--I don't consider this being spoiled; I'm just attempting to follow the competition. Period. And what a joy it's been, sooo many brilliant performances, and like I think RealtorGal said, whatever the medal standings wind up being, those performances are what we as fans cherish the most.

WOW Sasha...WOW. (Note; the download's audio is garbled somewhat, so it feels that the song is echoing so you can hear a given phrase and watch the matching move, and then there'll be an echo, which makes it seem that Sasha is behind of/ahead of the music--so far, it's only her program, of all those I've seen from that website, that have had this problem)

Happy downloading, fellow "spoiled brats" of the internet (I was a real spoiled brat meself:D--all I know, is it's the only way to go:laugh: )

Cheers--I'm SOOO cheerful right now; just finished downloading Michelle, and Shizuka's SP's next. Already have Cohen (as you can all tell) and Ando's, which I'll watch after watching Sasha's, oh, about 40 more times:laugh:

Sarah

blurrysarah

On the Ice
I don't think I've ever seen Sasha perform so aggressively, it was probably one of my favourite performances of that particular sp. I think the last time she competed, she looked tired, and her face never quite lit up during a program. I know there was the big kafuffle about her being ill/not ill, I tend to think she really was ill, but who really knows.
She skated yesterday more determined than I've ever seen her, and I'm really glad she got that top spot.

imanta

Rinkside
Wow! That was a great performance! I think the best I've ever seen her do. I didn't see any mistakes, but I know watching it over the internet on a small screen may not be as telling. She looked fast, very polished, aggressive, confident. Great, great performance deserving 1st place imo.

I really thought Michelle did great too! Beautiful performance and I didn't think she looked as cautious as some people have thought. I am very surprised she is in 4th but I think perhaps without the time deduction the judges would have had her in 2nd?? I don't know, just wondering. I think both sasha and michelle really catch the attitude and essence of their programs incredibly well.

Shizuka seemed fast and powerful. I don't think either her or Miki are quite as polished as mk and sc, but they have big jumps and difficult jumps. They also both, and especially shizuka, seem to be developing in their artistry. I'm no expert but I think if I had had to rank the top 4 skaters based on watching it over the internet I would have had sc, mk, sa, ma. I should point out that I have not seen any of the other women's short programs yet, so can't say if I would place anyone else up there ahead of one of these 4.

Last edited:

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Greetings fellow Sarah!

I just noticed that, not only are we both internet "sarahs" (you may even be a real-life sarah as well:) ), we have the EXACT same number of posts--counting this post, but I had to reply to solicit authorization for the use of the word "kafuffle"--it is a positively brilliant word:laugh:

Was it shingles she had? What is shingles? I'll just go ask google, I'm being lazy:)

Lots of hard work, staying up all hours to follow a figure skating championship:laugh:

non-blurry Sarah:)

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Good call Imanta--I too think Michelle skated beautifully, but I missed a move she did at Nationals that I LOVED:love::love::love:--it was in the middle of the footwork, where she just comes to a complete halt with her arms above her head and then she does this sort of hop and simultaneously seems to be throwing down an object--anyway, she did it at Nats and it was something new that really grabbed me within a program that I had already seen, and I think she should continue to add such moves, to build on an existing good program, for extra ooomph, which certainly would have helped her even more yesterday. That move, it added so much to the already existing, exquisite dramatic tension of TFB, and I was kind of disappointed not to see it. Great to see the top four skate well, though; so far, so good. I really enjoyed Shizuka's skate as well--love her spin positions, esp. last layback with arms pointing in different diagonal directions. Miki, 3/3 and all, blew me away the least, though she certainly has loads of expressive potential and a very well proportioned body that will favor her in seeking to exploit that potential

Cheers!
Sarah

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Kafuffle is a great word isn't it? I find myself using it a lot for figure skating, the whole sport is one big kafuffle. :laugh:

She did say she had shingles, and I do believe it even though it was strange the way it popped up. My grandfather gets shingles for what seems like once every year though, and it's not something I think you can lie about easily. All I noticed is that she did look a little lifeless and tired around that time.

I've also seen Kwan's sp now, and I think she skated pretty well. Not quite as good as the first time I saw TFB when she performed it at 03 worlds though, that genuinely blew me away.
I don't think Michelle was robbed (although the 5.1 seemed out of place), I just think her competition has gotten stiffer this year. Nothing wrong with that. She just isn't as unbeatable as first thought. I don't think it will send her into retirement either, surely she's not that fickle as to think anything but 1st spells the end of a career.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Kaffufal!!! Love It!!

Did I spell that right LOL? Thanks for adding this to my repetoire!

Another one of my favorites is decrappify, which is what I do to my house before my in laws come over. The FS sport could probably use a little of that too.

Anyone else listening to Ladies free now?

DG

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I wonder what Robin's secret is? How does a coach give a skater consistency and the ability to skate with fire. Very impressive, IMO.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Sarahmistral, thank you SO much for posting that link. I just watched the 4 ladies' short programs--what a treat! Sasha's SP was amazing.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
Realtorgal...no problem, it was my PLEASURE!!

DG...Listening to the LP...I AM, I AM!!! Wow Shizuka!!!!!!!!!!!! WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!! :love: that was some comp!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bravo to Sasha for holding up very well mostly and for Michelle for shrugging off the weirdo and skating her heart out!!!!!!:love::love:...thank God nothing like my favorite tennis player Monica Seles' troubles in Germany (stabbed on court in 1993, destroyed what would have been an even more legendary career)--what IS it with the weirdos in Germany? Millions and millions of nice people, but when a weirdo pops up in a sports arena...sheesh.

Platov is talking about how much they changed in Shizuka's skating; but of course, Doggygirl, your new lover Eurosport is whispering those very words into your ear right now:D

Tharrtell, I think Robin Wagner's experience in sports psychology has gone a long way in finding the way to getting Sasha to unleash more and more of her potential; that's what she really needed as a skater with her gifts.

Wow!:love:

Sarah

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Re: Kaffufal!!! Love It!!

Doggygirl said:
Another one of my favorites is decrappify, which is what I do to my house before my in laws come over. The FS sport could probably use a little of that too.

:laugh: :D :laugh: :D :love: :laugh: :love: :D :laugh:

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Omg Sasha's SP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched it today & I was so happy for Sasha! She did so awesome!! Robin is really an awesome coach, too!

I thought Michelle did great, like usual, but it was too bad she placed fourth-

mzheng

Record Breaker
sarahmistral said:
Good call Imanta--I too think Michelle skated beautifully, but I missed a move she did at Nationals that I LOVED:love::love::love:--it was in the middle of the footwork, where she just comes to a complete halt with her arms above her head and then she does this sort of hop and simultaneously seems to be throwing down an object--anyway, she did it at Nats and it was something new that really grabbed me within a program that I had already seen, and I think she should continue to add such moves, to build on an existing good program, for extra ooomph, which certainly would have helped her even more yesterday.

Yeah. there was some steps missing in FW. And I also watched her LP download from web. There were also some steps missing compare to the Nats version. I thought she might took out because the rink size there is smaller. (I read at another board or heard from EuroSport on line feed).