Mao Asada: Olympic Thread | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Anything is possible, I guess.

Denis Ten did it, but the point difference from 3rd-10th in SP wasn't huge. Even if Mao skated perfect in the FS and everyone in the final group splatted like the men, she still has almost 20 points to make up. Also don't forget, she doesn't even get to skate in the penultimate group in the FS.

daphna

On the Ice
All things Mao Asada

I feel so horrible for her. she was a skating disaster tonight, no other words can describe it. The writing was on the wall since Japanese nationals, and I had a feeling that things could go as wrong as they did for her in Sochi.
She should have ditched the triple axel all together - I think she only landed 2 clean ones post 2010. she should have focused on getting her jumps right and on 3-3s. Mao is amazing and one of my all time faves, but her career was full of bad decisions - training with Tarasova and losing all the triples and the combos (not to mention the overwhelming heavy choices of music), focusing on the triple axel when it expired, and more. Poor girl, didn't deserve to finish her career on such sad note. I wish her all the best at whatever she's gona do in the future.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
There's always a chance that 13 of the 15 ladies ahead of her could implode..... Not likely, but there's a chance

CarneAsada

Medalist
Two things (well, 3 really) would need to happen:
1. Mao would need to land her 8 triple program perfectly. That could get her around 150.
2. 2 of Yuna, Adelina, Carolina, and Gracie would need to skate poorly (low 130s or worse).

Now I never actively wish ill upon skaters so my message to Mao is: 8 triples on the protocol. DO IT.

elif

Medalist
I don't think there is a chance now. I'm agree with CarneAsada she can try 8 triple skate tomorrow. That can be a record I believe.

Artistry

On the Ice
Why do you guys think what happened happened? Was it nerves? Lack of a psychologist?
Stubborness about the triple axels, which if she falls, takes the wind out of her?

elif

Medalist
Why do you guys think what happened happened? Was it nerves? Lack of a psychologist?
Stubborness about the triple axels, which if she falls, takes the wind out of her?

I think it is just too much pressure for gold medal.

Memelah711

Rinkside
I haven't seen the competition yet, but I looked at the results. I couldn't believe what I saw when I found Mao's placements.

I just don't get why Mao is so obsessed with that blasted 3Axel. She's already landed it in Olympic competition in 2010. If she could land it consistently, it would make sense for her to want it in all her programs. The poor girl has not landed it cleanly in a long time. This is heartbreaking.

elif

Medalist
I have seen a lot of videos from practices, which showing she is landing clean 3A's. I don't think chosen 3A for short is bad decision.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To be fair, it wasn't just the 3A. Her 3F was UR (I thought they would give it to her as clean, but they rightly called it). Her 2L was super costly, especially not being a combo.

Mao scored just 7.08 points for all of her jumping passes. :disapp:

Poor thing.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I am sad for her. Everyone wants to do the best at olympics and to make soo many mistakes and so costly ones, must be heartbreaking, especially with the lot of pressure from the japan media and society.

I hope she will do well in the free and i hope that the japanese will be more graceful toward her than the russian towards Plushenko.

Go Mao, you might no have big chances for a medal now, but keep fighting!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am sad for her. Everyone wants to do the best at olympics and to make soo many mistakes and so costly ones, must be heartbreaking, especially with the lot of pressure from the japan media and society.

I hope she will do well in the free and i hope that the japanese will be more graceful toward her than the russian towards Plushenko.

Go Mao, you might no have big chances for a medal now, but keep fighting!

Oh the Japanese will be gracious towards her because they're more gracious than the Russians in general. Not to mention, Mao actually skated instead of Plushenko who quit, leaving them no Russian competitor to cheer for.

BlackPack

Medalist
It wasn't so much the technical difficulties (some 13 point loss according to reports) that she had were painful to watch.

It was the fact that she lost hope in herself and her performance. The skating of a defeated former champion.

Devastating:bang::cry:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh, it was more than that. If she landed the 3A, 3F, 3L+2Lx... her base value on jumps would have been 21.39 (already over 14 points higher than the 7.08 her jumps earned) plus GOE. She lost almost 15-16 points.

moviechick

On the Ice
I hope Mao gives up on the triple axel for the free skate. I don't want to see another meltdown like this.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her body is just too broken down. She's been doing 3Axels and 3-3 combos constantly since such a young age.

Krislite

Medalist
She looked fine in the practices. I think the nerves just got to her, skating last and with her last shot at gold. She wanted it too much. A perfect LP could still put her within striking distance of the podium though. She's got nothing to lose at this point.