Mao Asada: Olympic Thread | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada: Olympic Thread

Becki

Medalist
My mom loved Mao's program. She rarely watches figure skating and was shocked Mao didn't win (lol). Then I told her Mao didn't do so well in the SP....

Mao's powerful performance was overshadowed.

kslr0816

On the Ice
totally agree.. like i said, her performance moved me to tears. very powerful, and so happy for her.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Her FS was absolutely gorgeous. This is one of the things I LOVE about the Olympics - the testament to a human being's mental and emotional strength. I have no idea how she managed to pull herself together after her SP devastation, but she created one of the most memorable, touching, and inspirational moments in figure skating history.

kslr0816

On the Ice
not to mention she must have known how much crap all of Japan was saying after her SP.. to go out and skate like that.. truly moving.. they were really saying terrible things about her in Japan

hurrah

Medalist
not to mention she must have known how much crap all of Japan was saying after her SP.. to go out and skate like that.. truly moving.. they were really saying terrible things about her in Japan

Well, there was this politician named Mori who made some stupid comment about Mao's SP program, and actually got alot of criticism for being insensitive and boorish. And I guess I saw some harsh comments on the internet, but I think a majority of the reaction to Mao's SP was one of sadness and depression. You should have seen all the faces of the media people as they reported news on Mao---they looked like their own daughter had died. I was also sad and depressed, but honestly, if Mao's LP had been a disaster, I would only have thought about how disappointed Mao must be feeling, and totally wondering how we could go about comforting her and saving her.

Of course, as it turned out, Mao didn't need any saving. She saved us instead and gifted us with the most awe-inspiring performance ever.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Interview Mao x Shizuka
Difference between SP & LP: I was totally out of control of my own mind and body in the SP. After the SP coach Sato advised me. You emailed me, too, Shizuka. But I was thinking all sorts of things. I just decided to go for it all in the LP.

How did you do it?: Obviously this is not what I wanted, but in retrospect the disastrous SP had to happen for me to skate like I did in the LP. While I feel a sense of regret ("moushiwakenai" = "Sorry (I couldn't deliver)") about the result as a nation's representative (Shizuka shakes her head), but I couldn't be more satisfied about what I achieved this time.

What makes you love skating?: (After a long pause) I skate for a moment like last night.

How do you rank your LP in Sochi?: Definitely top 5. But given how much was going on mentally, I'd say that's my number 1. 10 out of 10.

Shizuka then said the last time she'd seen Mao skate "in the zone" was 2008 Worlds LP. But last night was just of of this world.

In the second half, a clip of Daisuke and Yuzu cheering shows. Then Shizuka shares how she knew Mao would be the next generation of powerhouse when she saw her the first time.

On Worlds: I want to put SP and LP together.

What do you want to tell the your juniors?: The Olympics is just so magical. It's hard. I hope I showed them a little bit how rewarding it can be. I hope I contributed a little bit.

Then Shizuka candidly shares about the 2006 season where she competed with Mao. Usually calm and collected Shizuka almost looks teary saying how she learned so much from Mao that season, how important it is to enjoy being on the ice. And this time she wanted to pay back to Mao, which is why she emailed Mao after SP, to tell her how a 15-yo Mao made her feel that way and to remind Mao how her 15-yo self used to be.

On the future: After the SP I swore I just had it with this sport. But the feeling I got after the LP... I don't know. I might get tempted to do this again.

On Yuna: She and I have shared ups and downs since Juniors, always under the spotlight, always trying our best. For both me, and I'm sure it's the same for Yuna, this Olympics was about a challenge for ourselves. And we both did it. And I'm so glad.

----------------------------------------
What a great champion Mao is!!!!!

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Thank you, hikki, for the translation. This is a balm for my heart.
I just love Mao's positive attitude to skating (that she appears to share with her teammates), and I love even her stubbornness with the 3A.
I wish her all the best for Worlds.

usethis2

Medalist
She was flawless in her FS. I was speechless, and then crushed when she was finished.

(But after watching multiple times I still don't like her costume.. )

VirMo

On the Ice
Let's forget Kim for a moment.. what about Mao's free skating

The best argument some people are giving for Adelina's win is that she did a more difficult program by having seven triples as opposed to Kim's six triples. Only the jump components were more difficult and perhaps the layback spins - all other components deserved the same levels, except Kim's level-4 designed step sequence got level 3 for an incomprehensible reason that has been never explained by anybody.

Then, what about Mao? Mao did effing 8 triples without a visible landing error like Adelina did, they were all secure except for some underrotations for which she deservedly got base values deducted. Mao did all level four spins and level for step sequence, fantastic one, and a fanstastic and explosive step/choreo, beautiful flow throughout. If the reason that Adelina won gold is that she merely skated to a "more difficult program", is it fair that Mao got 142 points and Adelina got 149?

(I can't wait for the World 2014 showdown between Mao and Adelina by the way)

People seem to care less about Mao because she was out of podium, but let's pretend she didn't bomb her SP and was a contender. Did Mao even have a chance against Russian skaters?

whatif

Medalist
Mao was amazing but skating in the non-essential group both helped and hurt her. Helped because she had the performance of her life without having any pressure and because the technical panel put less scrutiny at some of those landings; hurt because her PCS went down automatically.

VirMo

On the Ice
Mao was amazing but skating in the non-essential group both helped and hurt her. Helped because she had the performance of her life without having any pressure and because the technical panel put less scrutiny at some of those landings; hurt because her PCS went down automatically.

It may be the explanation but still doesn't make it right :(

Eight triples. Eight. I've been explaining this amazing feat to my friends, and every time I think of it, I get the shivers. It's phenomenal. I think that as time goes on, this will be the program that is remembered, in the way that Midori Ito's program at the 1988 Games put her on the map and is still spoken of with reverence. To add significance to Mao's achievement, Ito's program was at the start of her career, when she was at her strongest, before all the injuries, whereas this is toward the end of Mao's career, when supposedly her powers should be diminishing.

Yes, it seems to be a glaring injustice that this feat was not marked differently by the judges. And then there's the matter of that footwork, which moved like lightning and echoed the music perfectly. The thing that always put me on Mao's side has been that though she has such skill as a jumper, she's extraordinarily musical and fluid. She'd be a joy to watch even if she did nothing but single jumps.

miki88

Medalist
Eight triples. Eight. I've been explaining this amazing feat to my friends, and every time I think of it, I get the shivers. It's phenomenal. I think that as time goes on, this will be the program that is remembered, in the way that Midori Ito's program at the 1988 Games put her on the map and is still spoken of with reverence. To add significance to Mao's achievement, Ito's program was at the start of her career, when she was at her strongest, before all the injuries, whereas this is toward the end of Mao's career, when supposedly her powers should be diminishing.

Yes, it seems to be a glaring injustice that this feat was not marked differently by the judges. And then there's the matter of that footwork, which moved like lightning and echoed the music perfectly. The thing that always put me on Mao's side has been that though she has such skill as a jumper, she's extraordinarily musical and fluid. She'd be a joy to watch even if she did nothing but single jumps.

Wonderfully said. There is so much debate between Adelina vs Yuna. But the performances of the night belonged to Mao and Carolina, in my opinion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Mao should have won the FS. Her PCS being was way to low. If she got the PCS I though she should got she would have won.

usethis2

Medalist
Those arguments are made-up, ad-hoc one that they deemed usable. There is no reason to give any weight to such argument. What they need to explains are:

1) Tech panels strange calls and un-calls
2) Both the Russian's scores (and Gracie's if deemed necessary)
3) and yes, indeed Mao/Yuna/Carolina's scores compared to the Russians.

casualfan

On the Ice
I'm so glad someone brought this up. Not just 8 jumps but a clean triple axel and wonderful skating. She should have won the night even if it didn't get her on the podium.

JayW

Final Flight
I think Mao should have won the FS. Her PCS being was way to low. If she got the PCS I though she should got she would have won.

Yes, her PCS is way too low. Her components are so complex and she made those difficult transitions looking seamless.

yuki

Final Flight
Exactly. Skating early hurt her.

It was not only her skating early. It was also her being held down in PCS because she was becoming a threat to the top 5. When the time came, Yulia conveniently scored over Mao on PCS event though Mao beat her by 6.75 points (!!!) in TES just so that Yulia could overtake her in the total standings and still be in medal contention. In case you could not tell, I am still bitter about this :). Mao deserved much better.