Ladies Free - Notes & Results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies Free - Notes & Results

Jane2

Rinkside
Please, somebody tell us what is happening there!
Is it break time to clean the ice?
Maybe Rosleen lost net connection.....
Somebody ran on the ice with something written on his back?
Jane.........my 1st post. :)

Flamma

On the Ice
Jane2 said:
Please, somebody tell us what is happening there!
Is it break time to clean the ice?
Maybe Rosleen lost net connection.....
Somebody ran on the ice with something written on his back?
Jane.........my 1st post. :)

Some freak ran on the ice before Michelle was about to start, stripped some of his clothes and put on a yellow skirt. There was somehting written on his back and chest.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, am I glad that's over........too nerve wracking. Now I can watch the skating tonight in peace........:)

......And just a side note to Sasha and Michelle......second and third in the World without a triple-triple......not bad, but next year you two gals will be even more awesome as you up the tech for the next Oly............ 42

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Very interesting result, and not at all what I would have predicted! Mr. RG is THRILLED--his two top favorite ladies with gold and silver. Can't wait to see the programs tonight!

Last edited:

jesslily

Final Flight
How did these three ladies skate? The result is what had been in my mind for a while. Arakawa has the great jumps, true lutz, great combo. With TT's help on atistry, she deserves the title.

Lucy25

Final Flight
Congrats to Shizuka!!!!! Wow, I am so glad she won because her program sounds amazing. Congrats to Michelle for holding her own, taking 2nd in the LP, and showing that the Kween is NOT dead. Sounds like she got a standing O and gained a lot of fans in Europe (and they said it couldn't be done!). Congrats to Sasha for getting her first Worlds medal.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The results are in.......Congrats to Shizuka.......her free skate must have been amazing......and to Sasha........she held it together for her first world medal.....good for her........and to Michelle, who fought back and showed us all what champions are made of.........what a podium.........42

Rosaleen

Medalist
Sorry I didn't get this up after each skater but I couldn't get connected to the 'net at all. I had to run over to the press room and use the PC's there.

The judges got it right for the 1st few but Carolina should be behind Fumie and Joannie

Group # 4

Shizuka Arakawa JPN Start # 19
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 Currently F 1 Overall 1
Violin Fantasy on Turandot black with silver seqin trim
Dramatic opening with her moving toward judges / melody starts 3z3t2l / 3s3t possible ¼ cheat / I think she wants it and is going to lay down the gauntlet / 3f / cam to donut is centered with good speed / 3l / big cheers from up behind me at every jump / music changes to sticatto violin and the crowd is clapping as she does he O ftwrk with good detail & speed / 2a / flycam with good pos & speed – centered / music softens and spread eagle and some chor and more spread eagle / familiar melodic strains and 3z – big yes from the boys behind me / great strt leg flat back fast layback spin / and the music crescendos and her spirals spread eagles with arms / and beautiful ina with almost flat back / into her final combo spin with foot in front / and Wow wow wow – HAS SHE LAID DOWN THE GAUNTLET!!!!

Julia Sebestyen HUN Start # 20
Ordinals 2 2 2 2 3 3 3 4 6 Currently F 3 Overall 2
Selection of Tangos Red with black trim
Setting the mood right off the bat / popped sal / 3z2t / travel 3’s into 3l / flycam has excellent fly and good spin to donut – centered / huge 3z / some chor / layback with very low back centered with good speed – leg could be a bit better / music slows and some chor / 3f2t – according to cheat sheet – didn’t see it / 2s then missed something think 3t / sorry I missed some stuff in here because they were passing out sheets of quotes and the girls almost knocked over the monitor with the marks/placements / combo spin to end is very good /

Sasha Cohen USA Start # 21
Ordinals 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 Currently F 2 Overall 2
Swan Lake – Tchaikovski new all-white costume
Big cheers as she is announced but she hasn’t taken the ice yet – here she goes – taking a long time
Big music then melodic / 3z flutz – bit tight on landing / 3f / 3l / so far no chor – now we have some as the music gets almost sinister and then builds / 3t / 2a / big split jump into charlotte / we’re at 2 minute mark / music slows and ismore dramatic 3s2t / flycam to outside edge not much fly but beautiful inside edge with great pos / music really slows and softens and some chor / 3z2t – again bad flutz / 3s bailed out landed sideways on 2 feet / layback with flat back and strt leg is beautiful but about ½ the speed of shizuka’s and no better pos / strt ftwrk moves fast and is decently difficult / her trademark spirals / combo spin and then upright spins to end are very good – actually excellent – wasn’t noticing if they travelled / That was not a first place performance at all –even without the error it wouldn’t have been IMO. Thank you judges, you did it right /

Michelle Kwan USA Start # 22
Ordinals 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 3 3 Currently 2 Overall 3
We have some weirdo on the ice was wearing black jacket & pants and stripped them off to a bare chest with yellow tutu -- Michelle left the ice and it took 5 security guards to chase him off the ice. Evidently he just stepped over the boards from the side opposite the judges. Michelle is now back on the ice – skated around and we had some debree that had to be removed. Here we go
Tosca in peach
Music starts with big crescendo and the crowd is really behind her – huge cheers when she came back on the ice / 3l / 3z 2t flutz but not as bad as Sasha / some chor as the music softens and then builds again / 3f / 2a / flycam is lovely with good fly and great pos – quite fast as well and goes well with the music as it changes / 3s2t / layback with strt leg & pretty flat back with hads clasped behind back speed is very good almost as fast as Shizuka / upright spin is good / spirals – we al know what they’re like and hit the crescendo of music / 3t / some more chor / 2z / into strt ftwrk here we go / moves continuously matches music and uses full body / flysit spin to end / huge cheers from crowd /

Miki Ando JPN Start # 23
Ordinals 2 4 4 4 4 4 4 5 7 Currently F 4 Overall 4
Firebird red with gold sheen
3z3l / strt ftwrk / 2s – didn’t get off the ice / flycam is centered and sustained with nice changes of pos – tiny bit slower than usual / 2a / some chor / end of 1st section / music is very soft & melodic and some nice chor / and moving more as music builds into spiral seq with good, if not great pos / 3t3t / cam ch cam very loopy at start of back cam but got it back spin is a bit slow / 3f / 3l from ftwrk / 2a / layback spin with flat back & strt leg is quite fast – not as fast as Shizuka but compare with Michelle / combo spin is good ending in fast scratch – travel a bit at the end though /

Carolina Kostner ITA Start # 24
Ordinals 4 4 6 6 6 6 6 8 11 Currently F 6 Overall 5
Vanessa Mae Medley light mauve shading to orange skirt
Music starts out slow & melodic / 3f3t2l / music makes you want to sway / 3z2t / beat picks up and the crowd is clapping / travel 3’s into 3l / combo spin cam sit hop back sit upright – spin was a bit slow but nice pos / spirals inside out is nice / 2a 1/2l and 3s didn’t get off the ice / layback is really weak / now we’re into Turandot violin fantasy 3z hard fall on her side / prep for strt ftwrk as music builds ftwrk is ok and has a lots of turns but lacks something / 3s hand down and 2 feet / flysit is quite nice then upright to end /

Pati

On the Ice
They said she doubled the quad.
After all this, I could not be prouder of Michelle! What a champ!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Rosaleen.......you're the best and your reporting made me feel as if I were there.........thanks again.....Rosaleen RULES!! 42

shine

Record Breaker
YAY Joannie!!!! I can't believe Kostner placed above both her and Sebastyen with a skate like that!!!! What a shame!!!!!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
With Irina and Elena placing 9th and 10th (OUCH!), how does that affect the Russian ladies next year? Can they just send two to Worlds?

Kateri

On the Ice
Boy, was Kostner propped! Not sure why...

but, apart from that, I think the results are dead right.
Incredible performance from Arakawa, and Kwan was great to get 2nd on the free.

And yay for Fumie! She was really overcome by how well she did - overcome as in crying hysterically! - she could barely curtsey at the end. She was better than Kostner - as was Sebestyen.

Irina seemed happy, even if her jumps weren't really on. She looked glad to be back and skating, and that's what counts.

Poor Vika tho - real meltdown.

all in all, probably the least controversial podium of the week!

k.;)

Flamma

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
With Irina and Elena placing 9th and 10th (OUCH!), how does that affect the Russian ladies next year? Can they just send two to Worlds?

Sad, but true.... I hope that Russian ladies will regain their strength by the time of Worlds in Moscow.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m very glad for Arakawa!!! Huh, what has happened to Sasha´s programme? It did not feel at all the same as earlier, and she s eemed just to go from onec jump to the next. Even the costume was a bit too toned down, IMO. Anyway I´m happy that she at least won a silver medal!

I saw on Eurosport that in backstage Sasha was hugging Tarasova too, and after that Sasha put her head down... Tarasova must have had a huge laugh, now she got a ladies World Champion, and only after a month´s work, LOL.

I cannot understand how it was possible that the guy got on the ice??? Very poor security.

Marjaana

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
German security has often been proved unreliable at sports events. Munich... Monica Seles... It's unacceptable... and worse...:cry:

Last edited: