Need help about equipment! | Golden Skate

Need help about equipment!

icesk8

Spectator
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and ice skating in general and wanted to know what I should look for when buying skates and equipment/what is popular right now? Also, what are some good websites to buy equipment at?

Thanks! :)

concorde

Medalist
I think you need to go into your local pro-shop and determine what skates are the most comfortable on your feet. Each brand fits differently so it is not something that you should buy over the internet (unless you local shop is out of your size).

For an adult whose feet have stopped growing, I would not start with a "beginner" skate. I would go with something that is all leather (boot and sole) - probably in the $250US range. If you opt for plastic/rubber soles (which will be cheaper), then the blades cannot really be adjusted. I learn this this hard way.

Good luck!

mskater93

Record Breaker
Hello everyone! I'm new to this forum and ice skating in general and wanted to know what I should look for when buying skates and equipment/what is popular right now? Also, what are some good websites to buy equipment at?

Thanks! :)

It's not a matter of what is "popular" but rather what brand works for you. Feet are all different. Harlicks, Edeas, SP Teris, Reidells, Jacksons, Gams, and Risport all work well depending on your feel. If you don't know what works for you (brand and size), DO NOT try and purchase over the internet. You will be sorry and could cause permanent damage to your feet. Go to a reputable boot fitter (pro shop) in your area. If you don't know, ask around your rink.

If you are an adult, I would considerz a low level FS skate as opposed to a beginner skate (with blade attached) with a good all purpose blade. Do not get into the more is more mindset because just because something has more support/padding and costs more doesn't mean it's a good place to start. Also, do NOT over-blade yourself, either!