Should Yuzuru Hanyu Go for the 4A? | Golden Skate

Should Yuzuru Hanyu Go for the 4A?

Gee

Rinkside
His 3A is absolutely fantastic; there was a clip out-there where he did 3A from a STAND-STILL.
I think if he goes for the 4A, he'll have better luck with it than the 4S.
What do you guys think?

emma

Record Breaker
his triple axel out of those steps (which I guess are actually counters), are a true thing of spectacular technical beauty. I say, keep doing that, why ruin a great thing! I can only pray he continues skating competitively; but the last thing I want right now from the men is another layer of technical difficulty. I'd like to see them chill with the quads plus crazy good choreo/transitions, footwork and really do not want to see any new jumps at all. Plus, I actually think a 4A is impossible, but that's just me :)

alexeifan

On the Ice
No, I'd rather see him improve his regular skating skills and his posture. Also attempting a 4A would affect his 3A. I don't like seeing all these athletes try these impossible tricks that can injure themselves.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No need for him to do a 4A, although he would immediately become beyond legendary if he managed that.

I would like for him to try for different quads though. His 4T is solid. His 4S isn't consistent at all so he should focus on perfecting that first.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
He needs to stabilize his 4S and focus on polishing up other aspects of his performance rather than solely concentrating on jumps. In a documentary, Brian Orser expressed his exasperation with Hanyu being so single-mindedly focused on just his jumps.

He brings so much passion and raw energy to his performances. I'm looking forwards to seeing his skating develop.

Becki

Medalist
He needs to stabilize his 4S and focus on polishing up other aspects of his performance rather than solely concentrating on jumps. In a documentary, Brian Orser expressed his exasperation with Hanyu being so single-mindedly focused on just his jumps.

He brings so much passion and raw energy to his performances. I'm looking forwards to seeing his skating develop.

Brian said that when Yuzu first arrived in Toronto, he noticed Yuzu was very focused on the jumps. That's because in Sendai, he didn't have a lot of ice time so Yuzu practiced his jumps the most. Now it's a lot better since Yuzu has more ice time and does off ice training too.

Please don't do a 4A, Yuzu - he can dominate without it. I heard he can do a 4A in terms of rotation - that's pretty impressive already. I hope he takes it easy, and focuses on producing balanced programs!

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Oh please no. I get so worried about injuries for these skaters. A 4Axel would be begging for injury. His 3axel is perfect enough. I'd like to see him develop more on the second mark. I could watch Daisuke, Kozuka skate all day. He needs to reach that level.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^It was in this documentary on YH on youtube (can't find it right now) where Orser said Hanyu had skills in abundance, but he needed to build a better foundation and polish up everything else outside of jumps. Then after one of Hanyu's horrible performances (Worlds 2012?), Orser said that now maybe Hanyu would start listening to him about focusing on building a robust foundation first, then focusing on quads.

Edit: Here it is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsW8ex-Ii1o

GF2445

Record Breaker
Its a tough ask. Quad jumps aren't that much higher (in terms of the height of jumps over the ice) than triples. The quad is all about the rapid snap into position and the extremely fast rotation in the air. With triples you have time to save the jump, however, with quads you don't. If Yuzuru could master it, it would be astounding but i fear that if he goes down this path and tries to pursue a 4A, a Brandon Mroz situation may come about and that would be heartbreaking!

Crylais

Rinkside
I think his toe jumps are better than his edge jumps (his 3A is an exception)? So maybe a 4F or 4Lz instead of his 4S? 4A is really pushing it. I think he can probably do it but I don't really want to see him do it. It's a very risky jump. Maybe he can pull it out towards the end of his career?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think his toe jumps are better than his edge jumps (his 3A is an exception)? So maybe a 4F or 4Lz instead of his 4S? 4A is really pushing it. I think he can probably do it but I don't really want to see him do it. It's a very risky jump. Maybe he can pull it out towards the end of his career?

It's hard to say... he needs to develop much more stability on his lutz (he has a tendency to lean), and you need that going straight up to even attempt a quad. His 3F he fell on in Sochi but it's usually a stable jump for him. I think a 4Z is possible with his talent, but his lutz foundation and technique needs to be improved.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Oh please no. I get so worried about injuries for these skaters. A 4Axel would be begging for injury. His 3axel is perfect enough. I'd like to see him develop more on the second mark. I could watch Daisuke, Kozuka skate all day. He needs to reach that level.

This is it. I so agree. My understanding is that Yagudin stopped with the 4A because it was too dangerous. I remember reading about an interview where he said that he thought he was in danger of breaking his neck. It would be nicer to see Hanyu grow in regard to the artistic portion of his skating and work on his ss.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For me, the high likelihood of injury, along with the fact that he can beat anyone skating his current content clean, makes it not worth the risk.

Kalina

On the Ice
^It was in this documentary on YH on youtube (can't find it right now) where Orser said Hanyu had skills in abundance, but he needed to build a better foundation and polish up everything else outside of jumps. Then after one of Hanyu's horrible performances (Worlds 2012?), Orser said that now maybe Hanyu would start listening to him about focusing on building a robust foundation first, then focusing on quads.

Edit: Here it is! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsW8ex-Ii1o

I don't remember Orser ever saying what you wrote at the end. He of course focused on foundation, and it's true that at the beginning Yuzuru didn't understand, but he always did what he was told to do and started putting his utmost effort in skating skills. He was not convinced, but he still did it. If you meant Worlds 2013, Orser said that because of injury and asthma it couldn't be helped.

As for quads, he says he now rotates both 4Lz and 4L, so he might try them in competition in the future.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I don't remember Orser ever saying what you wrote at the end. He of course focused on foundation, and it's true that at the beginning Yuzuru didn't understand, but he always did what he was told to do and started putting his utmost effort in skating skills. He was not convinced, but he still did it. If you meant Worlds 2013, Orser said that because of injury and asthma it couldn't be helped.

As for quads, he says he now rotates both 4Lz and 4L, so he might try them in competition in the future.

I don't think 4A is a good idea, too dangerous and risky for the knees. :eek:But 4Lz and 4L might be possible. I do hope to see skaters execute these jumps in competition.:)

NMURA

Medalist
The 4Lz isn't the FIRST jump in the world. He won't be interested in that. And the 4F is hard to avoid "e" for him. Hanyu is likely to succeed the 4Lo in next season and make the guiness book of world records. When he doesn't have motivation other than that, the 4A might be an option.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The 4Lz isn't the FIRST jump in the world. He won't be interested in that. And the 4F is hard to avoid "e" for him. Hanyu is likely to succeed the 4Lo in next season and make the guiness book of world records. When he doesn't have motivation other than that, the 4A might be an option.

I don't know about a 4L... his loop is one of his poorer triples. But one can hope! I think Reynolds if he continues will be the first to land 4L.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't know about a 4L... his loop is one of his poorer triples. But one can hope! I think Reynolds if he continues will be the first to land 4L.
If he practices a quad loop... it will make his triple loop seem incredibly easy in comparison, and he might get higher GoE for it :-D

I kind of thought maybe that's why Miki Ando continued to do quads in practice/warmup, even though she'd stopped attempting them in competition many years previously?