Virtue and Moir's FD Music | Golden Skate

Virtue and Moir's FD Music

socksthecat

Rinkside
Forgive me if this has been discussed in another thread, but I was wondering -- why, in all the many mentions of Glazunov, has Tchaikovsky not been mentioned as well? In the middle portion of their free dance when the piano music suddenly picks up speed and they do their twizzles, a brief portion of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 is played. I checked a recording of it last night to make sure I was right, and yes -- it is definitely Piano Concerto #1.

As a classical musician, personally I found that sudden insertion of Tchaikovsky a bit jarring. I did not feel that it blended with the rest of the music at all. The Scriabin and the Glazunov complemented each other IMO, but at no point in any article about their music choices did I ever see Tchaikovsky mentioned, and I found that very strange.

It's sort of like when people kept saying that Gordeeva and Grinkov skated their '94 LP to "Moonlight Sonata" when in reality the opening of their LP music was the Pathetique sonata.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I noticed that too. I went on a search to put together all the music they chose.
I noticed the difference in style and it did feel a little jarring but I got used to it. As musical works, I love The Seasons and Scriabin's piano concerto in F# Minor and I really wanted this program to work because it was beautiful to listen to.

amateur

Final Flight
If I can jump with my own question: which composer/piece is the brief waltz section in their program from? (I'm too lazy right now to pull up a vid of the program for an exact time reference)

EDIT: I suspect that must be the Tchaikovsky that you're talking about.. i just rewatched and see that this waltz section is indeed right after the twizzles (I had thought you meant music during the twizzles themselves - which I assume must be the Scriabin)

socksthecat

Rinkside
No, the music during the twizzles is Tchaikovsky. The waltz is Waltz in Concerto #2 by Glazunov.

I did really like the Glazunov music, btw and am not here to bash V&M, who gave a wonderful performance. I just found it surprising that Tchaikovsky was 1) suddenly sandwiched between Glazunov and Scriabin, and 2) not mentioned at all in any article that referred to their music. I felt like the little Tchaikovsky clip didn't belong with the rest of the music.

Listen to this at about 18:40 onward for about 30 seconds and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Then suddenly V&M's music switches, out of nowhere, to Glazunov.

If you scroll down in this page to see their music choices you'll see Glazunov listed. They skated to the Autumn portion of it, including the Petit Adagio towards the end (I mean the Petit Adagio comes towards the end of Autumn, but V&M skated to that portion in the beginning of their program).

Their free dance ended with the very tail-end of Scriabin's Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor. Listen from about 29:30 onward.

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Forgive me if this has been discussed in another thread, but I was wondering -- why, in all the many mentions of Glazunov, has Tchaikovsky not been mentioned as well? In the middle portion of their free dance when the piano music suddenly picks up speed and they do their twizzles, a brief portion of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 is played. I checked a recording of it last night to make sure I was right, and yes -- it is definitely Piano Concerto #1.

As a classical musician, personally I found that sudden insertion of Tchaikovsky a bit jarring. I did not feel that it blended with the rest of the music at all. The Scriabin and the Glazunov complemented each other IMO, but at no point in any article about their music choices did I ever see Tchaikovsky mentioned, and I found that very strange.

It's sort of like when people kept saying that Gordeeva and Grinkov skated their '94 LP to "Moonlight Sonata" when in reality the opening of their LP music was the Pathetique sonata.

Well, shoot. I'm also a classical musician. Regrettably, though, neither the Glazunov nor the Scriabin were familiar to me. As for the Tchaikovsky, never picked up on that at all. Which means I'm going to scurry back to V/M's performance and watch it again. And listen. Many times. Being 0 for 3 on this is embarrassing, but at least it's something different to feel bad about -- I've been having a hissy fit about the scoring in the Ladies' FS. :disapp:

Gotta re-watch G&G from '94, too! What I remember most about that is how amazing it was to hear Beethoven in a figure skating program after years of "Carmen" and "Swan Lake" ad nauseum. Editing aside, to me it seemed an inspired choice.

And since we're nitpicking here, did you happen to hear any of Lipinski/Weir's commentary on the Ladies' FS? One of the early skaters used the "Polovtsian Dances" (praying I spelled that right) and another used "Coppelia." Johnny mis-pronounced both of them...

Purrs to you!

amateur

Final Flight
No, the music during the twizzles is Tchaikovsky. The waltz is Waltz in Concerto #2 by Glazunov.

I did really like the Glazunov music, btw and am not here to bash V&M, who gave a wonderful performance. I just found it surprising that Tchaikovsky was 1) suddenly sandwiched between Glazunov and Scriabin, and 2) not mentioned at all in any article that referred to their music. I felt like the little Tchaikovsky clip didn't belong with the rest of the music.

Listen to this at about 18:40 onward for about 30 seconds and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Then suddenly V&M's music switches, out of nowhere, to Glazunov.

If you scroll down in this page to see their music choices you'll see Glazunov listed. They skated to the Autumn portion of it, including the Petit Adagio towards the end (I mean the Petit Adagio comes towards the end of Autumn, but V&M skated to that portion in the beginning of their program).

Their free dance ended with the very tail-end of Scriabin's Piano Concerto in F-sharp minor. Listen from about 29:30 onward.

Ah, ok, thanks for the clarification. I never would have guessed that was Tchaikovsky.. I've got some listening to do!

In the program, I actually find the Tchaikovsky bit to fit quite well. I mean, it is jarring, in the sense that it is a sudden switch from the opening theme and a bit dissonant.. but I think it fits the theme of the program quite well, indeed sets up the theme... sudden moments of tension (like storm clouds, like tension in a relationship) that then break open into something softer or more glorious. And to me, it does work tonally with the Glazunov.

If anything, to me the waltz sticks out more, but is such a sweet little moment after the twizzle-storm, that it is welcomed. I kind-of wish they had danced it a tad more waltzier in their program, though.

Thanks for this thread! I'll do some more listening