Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

shellbell757

Rinkside
So following their logic, in order to win you just have to make the crowd excited, that's all? Hmm I guess then skaters should just all choose fun, exciting music rather than challenge themselves with something like Yuna did (Adios Nonino is a sad tango by Piazzolla dedicated to his late father). Right.

P.S. The crowd was Russian, they'll cheer Adelina in any case

Yep - that's what they said. There was no discussion of choreography, interpretation, skating skills or anything else that actually goes into PCS.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
So following their logic, in order to win you just have to make the crowd excited, that's all? Hmm I guess then skaters should just all choose fun, exciting music rather than challenge themselves with something like Yuna did (Adios Nonino is a sad tango by Piazzolla dedicated to his late father). Right.

P.S. The crowd was Russian, they'll cheer Adelina in any case

Exactly. Didn't Julia get a standing ovation after her performances even though she fell?

JayW

Final Flight
Kidding? Sotnikova's LP dress looked like a garbage bag draped over her. SP dress was nice.

It wasn't that bad, the style is just fine. However the color is just a bit washout, not age appropriate.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly. Didn't Julia get a standing ovation after her performances even though she fell?
Yulia also choose a piece that challenged the audience just like Yuna. I don't see the point you're making. She stole their hearts at the team event(and all season if you followed her) and they wanted to show appreciation to her in spite of her falls. She looked devastated. Should they have gone silent. I'm sure if Yuna and Adelina had switched music and if this were 2018 we'd see the same thing in terms of crowd reaction. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it. It's the Olympics after all.....not Worlds or GPF.

Ladymadchan

Rinkside
Yulia also choose a piece that challenged the audience just like Yuna. I don't see the point you're making. She stole their hearts at the team event(and all season if you followed her) and they wanted to show appreciation to her in spite of her falls. She looked devastated. Should they have gone silent. I'm sure if Yuna and Adelina had switched music and if this were 2018 we'd see the same thing in terms of crowd reaction. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it. It's the Olympics after all.....not Worlds or GPF.

I made the comment because some people justify Adelina's win by saying "she had the crowd on her side". Well the crowd was unabashedly pro-Russian and packed with Russians, no matter how many mistakes a Russian skater, positive crowd response pretty much reflected the skater's nationality and not the quality of skating (as evidenced by Julia getting standing ovations for falls). IMO justifying any Russian skater's win by saying "they had the crowd on their side" is plain unfair and extremely wrong.

Whatever I guess we should probably be grateful that Julia didn't bump a deserving skater off the podium in the Individual event for multiple falls :rolleye:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I actually loved Adelina's dress, but YuNa's dress is very elegant and beautiful as well. There's nothing retro to criticize in it, obviously, but that's just spite talking on Tarasova's part. The idea that YuNa's program was somehow substandard is ludicrous, and in any case I wouldn't go to Tarasova for an unbiased expert opinion.

Madama Tarasaova, whom I otherwise admire for her achievements, might pause for a moment to realize that if YuNa was so bad, then it wasn't any special achievement for Adelina to beat her. Anyone could have, right? It's always unwise to make one's rival look too unqualified.

Tarasova is the Godmother of figure skating (as in the movie Godfather :biggrin:), what do you expect? Lol, she has always been like that. Come to think of it, she was quite beautiful when young, and now, it's scary every time her face is on tivi. She must have been extremely jealous of the young beauty.:laugh:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She looks like a nice and kind grandma to me. But behind the door, she is as political as anyone else.
Plus, I still blame her for Mao's choice of music in 2010. The Bell of Moscow simply took away the lightness and joy from Mao. Sorry, off topic.

She absolutely ruined Mao, both with the too-heavy music choices and the decline in her technique under Tatiana.

emdee

Final Flight
He's not watching her butt, he just can't catch her. :laugh:

This was part of a promotional campaign that Michelle did with Olympic champion diver Greg Louganis for Carnival Cruise Lines.
Carnival?
I thought it was royal Caribbean where they are both godparents of the ship.

AnneC

Rinkside
Also nice:
I spoke with a prominent skating journalist in the Main Press Center on Sunday and she summed up the scandal pretty succinctly.

“The fix was in from the start,” she said. “Once they saw that (Julia) Lipnitskaia couldn’t win the gold, they just backed Sotnikova.”

I must say that I breathed a huge sigh of relief prior to the men’s short program the week before when Russia’s Evgeni Plushenko pulled out with an injury.

Why?

Because I was very worried that what we saw happen in the women’s singles, would happen in the men’s. That if Plushenko skated, he would somehow emerge with wildly inflated scores and a deserving champion like Yuzuru Hanyu or Canada’s Patrick Chan would be denied the title.

When I mentioned this concern to another writer following the controversy that saw Kim deprived of a second Olympic gold medal, he didn’t blink with his reply.

“You better believe that Plushenko would have won if he had skated in the singles,” he said. “There is no way he would have lost.”
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...ilure-to-act-on-skating-scandal/#.Uxy3hM5WXCM