Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

GF2445

Record Breaker
Skating has sort of hit rock bottom. Now the system that was put in place to avoid judging sandals has now been blatently been manipulated. Figure skating is a sport and not a reality tv show.

The commentators from my country were quite surprised and in disbelief of her scores.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sotnikova's first curve travels from zoom in to out. Yuna's isn't as high as usual, but still travels farther. t-t isn't lz-t, either, and the flow wasn't the same. Sotnikova was better on spins, but not jumps.

Yuna doesnt have big jumps, she relies on her distance
look at Sotnikova's 2A-3T, 3T-3T even her 3Lz spring blows Yuna out of the water

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kostner, who arguably should have won, congratulated her and high fived her on the podium which was great sportsmanship (even though she knew she was robbed of a higher placement than Sotnikova). :clap:

I think Carolina was just over the moon for being on the podium. It didn't matter what medal she won. And I also saw that at Europeans, I think the two Linas are pretty close. They always seemed friendly - talking, laughing with each other.

JYSkate

Rinkside
look at Sotnikova's 2A-3T, 3T-3T even her 3Lz spring blows Yuna out of the water

Have you even went to see Yuna Kim's live performance in the arena before? Many viewers and commentators who were there LIVE expresses their awe at Yuna's ability to fly on her jumps, not only covering distance and speed, but height as well. That pic shows nothing except for the fact that you dislike Yuna.

JYSkate

Rinkside
I think Carolina was just over the moon for being on the podium. It didn't matter what medal she won. And I also saw that at Europeans, I think the two Linas are pretty close. They always seemed friendly - talking, laughing with each other.

Carolina has such a mature wonderful personality. I'm so glad she had an excellent free skate, but wish she either gotten Gold or Silver instead of bronze.

bebevia

On the Ice
? Witness testimonials throughout her senior career confirm her usual height. Also, the flows are smoother and more refined in and out. If you really want to say something good about Sotnikova, do it where she did better, which she has. "blows Yuna out of the water" is quite a statement.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Have you even went to see Yuna Kim's live performance in the arena before? Many viewers and commentators who were there LIVE expresses their awe at Yuna's ability to fly on her jumps, not only covering distance and speed, but height as well. That pic shows nothing except for the fact that you dislike Yuna.

No, but Yuna's jumps weren't spectacular in Sochi either
she was tentative, jumps werent that big and she lacked fire unlike 2010 Vancouver

I do not hate Yuna, I admire her consistency
its her bitter fans who are disgraceful

vegarin

On the Ice
Oh yeah? Did they both jump the same combination? No. What an accurate comparison of jump prowess of two skaters there you have!
I know, right? Please ignore sky_fly20. I don't see any reason his/her comment needed to be quoted, even. Ignore List is your friend.

starrynight

On the Ice
I know, right? Please ignore sky_fly20. I don't see any reason his/her comment needed to be quoted, even. Ignore List is your friend.

But he spreads totally misleading information as a Gold uber switching to a Lip uber switching to a Sot uber instantly switching to a Mao uber switching to a anit-Yuna uber, like a wayward chameleon lizard.

yuki90

On the Ice
Oh yeah? Did they both jump the same combination? No. What an accurate comparison of jump prowess of two skaters there you have!

Ignore this Psycho Sky_fly20. This psycho thinks jumps quality is all about height and ignores the wrong edge.haha
Yuna's jumps got distance and distance to get +GOE.
1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
2) clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) good height and distance
5) good extension on landing / creative exit
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure
POSITIVE GOE
For +1: 2 bullets for +2: 4 bullets for +3: 6 bullets

UNCLEAR EDGE TAKE-OFF F/Lz (sign “e”) -1 to -2

ahy

Final Flight
Height is not everything, no offfense to adelina but yuna's jumps have more flow

JYSkate

Rinkside
No, but Yuna's jumps weren't spectacular in Sochi either
she was tentative, jumps werent that big and she lacked fire unlike 2010 Vancouver

I do not hate Yuna, I admire her consistency
its her bitter fans who are disgraceful

I agree with you on that point. Yuna sparked on fire at the 2010 Vancouver games and looked rather tired/troubled here in 2014 Sochi games, but with all the tiredness and pressure as defending olympic champion, she delivered for the audience and all she received at the K&C were booing for her and cheers for Russia. It's no wonder why she was in tears afterward. Probably some due to relief and stress, but the Russians obviously weren't very warm toward international athletes. Then of course they roared for Adelina which probably motivated the judges to inflate her PCS and overall score.

There are bitter fans everywhere, not just from Yuna's fanbase. It's just that there are a lot of fans of Yuna because of what she delivers for us viewers (skating) and the wonderful person she is, donating so much of her earned money to charities, disasters, and UNICEF.

yuki90

On the Ice
Height is not everything, no offfense to adelina but yuna's jumps have more flow

YuNA's jumps got height, distance, flow in the landing, straight back in landing, effortless throughout the jumps. Delayed.

JYSkate

Rinkside

I agree with you. Yuna's jumping technique is textbook. People and judges are really spoiled by her consistent performances that they now feel they have to critique very closely to check to make sure it's fully rotated or not even when she lands it with absolute ease and no effort.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree with you on that point. Yuna sparked on fire at the 2010 Vancouver games and looked rather tired/troubled here in 2014 Sochi games, but with all the tiredness and pressure as defending olympic champion, she delivered for the audience and all she received at the K&C were booing for her and cheers for Russia. It's no wonder why she was in tears afterward. Probably some due to relief and stress, but the Russians obviously weren't very warm toward international athletes. Then of course they roared for Adelina which probably motivated the judges to inflate her PCS and overall score.

There are bitter fans everywhere, not just from Yuna's fanbase. It's just that there are a lot of fans of Yuna because of what she delivers for us viewers (skating) and the wonderful person she is, donating so much of her earned money to charities, disasters, and UNICEF.

had Yuna skated with fire like in Vancouver, she would have won it, her consistency cannot be questioned
but as you said, she looked tired and also tentative
I blame her Long Program choice, coupled with her only 6 triples, judges made the easy mark
to give higher GOE to ones doing 7 triples or more