Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

up my sleeve

Spectator
You Yuna fans are attacking the posters who disagree rather than arguing on specific scores from the protocol, which I think would be a more valuable learning opportunity for everyone here.

There are posts all over this board about suspicious elements of the protocol, particularly the step sequences. I'm not going to reread the PCS section of the code to you.

vegarin

On the Ice
I think judging needs to be looked into, but it's done and over with in this Olympic. I doubt Yuna or Caro would want to take Adelina's gold away from her somehow. What I want is something like this not happening again.

At least, try not to make it so suspicious, okay? Wife of the Russian federation? Really? Even if I want to let this go, it just seems ridiculous. You think Russians would be okay with it if the darling skaters of Russia went to Korea for competition and lost, and it was revealed that several judges had ties to Korea? You don't think they would be upset?

yuki90

On the Ice
"Kim needed to grab it at the end there," said commentator Paul Wylie, a former Olympic silver medalist. ''She just played it too safe."
Kim acknowledged that she wasn't as inspired as when she won the gold medal in Vancouver in 2010, saying, "That desire, that strong wish, was not as present. Motivation was a problem, I think."

Pitty Russian. Go enjoy your Queen's victory. We fight for this.

up my sleeve

Spectator
"Kim needed to grab it at the end there," said commentator Paul Wylie, a former Olympic silver medalist. ''She just played it too safe."
Kim acknowledged that she wasn't as inspired as when she won the gold medal in Vancouver in 2010, saying, "That desire, that strong wish, was not as present. Motivation was a problem, I think."

Where is the motivation section in the ISU protocol? Where is the deduction for "not skating as well as Vancouver"?

I don't know why it's hard to admit that if these Olympics were held in Sweden and this was Kim's first Olympics, she and Kostner would have fought for gold.

moviechick

On the Ice
Nothing's really going to be done about these results. All they can do now is try to make the judging more transparent in the future. If people are hoping for another 2002 double gold medal, they're obviously living in delusions.

vegarin

On the Ice

Wow, and you conveniently left out this part:

Whatever, her skating Thursday night was not a problem. Once again, it was the skating world that was the problem.

:rolleye:

I am done with people using Yuna saying she lacked her desperation she had in Vancouver as the reason she somehow didn't deserve to win.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton said this scoring system is all about wrapping up points and Adelina has done just that. He hinted that Adelina should have won. Sandra Bezic said YuNa skated a less technical skate compared with her Vancouver skate. It was also hint that Adelina earned it.

That does NOT explain WHY Adelina GOT THE POINTS she did. I also hope people stop saying Adelina won on merit of having 1 more jump. 1) There's PCS to account for, 2) Mao had more jumps than Adelina, 3) Yuna would've lost to Mao in Vancouver bc she had less jumps, 4) why did Adelina's scores jump 18 pts within a month?

up my sleeve

Spectator
Scott Hamilton said this scoring system is all about wrapping up points and Adelina has done just that. He hinted that Adelina should have won. Sandra Bezic said YuNa skated a less technical skate compared with her Vancouver skate. It was also hint that Adelina earned it.

None of this makes sense though! You don't "rack up" points, they are given by the judges. It has been shown over and over again that even with the weak explanation of higher base value, there were still a lot of inconsistencies, namely her higher PCS AND having a higher free skate score than Mao who was more difficult, more technically proficient, and more artistic.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
No one wants to take away Adelina's medal. Yuna and Carolina would not want that to happen AT ALL.

But as a viewer / fan / audience, and ultimately, as the end-user of this sport (the sport cannot survive without audience), people are rightfully raising questions as to how the judging should be improved to ensure impartiality, which I think is necessary and beneficial for the sport.

Ven

Match Penalty

Sotnikova scored 149.95 points in the free skate. It was a massive leap from her previous best, recorded last month, of 131.63. I asked Wylie how he would explain Sotnikova’s sudden improvement to the casual fan. He paused, and couldn’t come up with an answer.

“It’s figure skating at its finest, right?” he said.

Everyone around him laughed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/s...tnikovas-upset-victory-is-hard-to-figure.html

bekalc

Record Breaker
That does NOT explain WHY Adelina GOT THE POINTS she did. I also hope people stop saying Adelina won on merit of having 1 more jump. 1) There's PCS to account for, 2) Mao had more jumps than Adelina, 3) Yuna would've lost to Mao in Vancouver bc she had less jumps, 4) why did Adelina's scores jump 18 pts within a month?

Mao's jumps got called underrotated....Sorry, Asada's jumps do not have the quality Kim, or Adelina's do. And in terms of PCS, Asada was underscored but there's always a final group score. For all. It didn't make a difference in placements.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Mao's jumps got called underrotated....Sorry, Asada's jumps do not have the quality Kim, or Adelina's do. And in terms of PCS, Asada was underscored but there's always a final group score. For all. It didn't make a difference in placements.

...and her PCS? Her 18 pt "improvement"?

Ven

Match Penalty
She got the 18 point "trying really hard" bonus!

She got the 18 point billions of Russian rubles bonus.

Hello Judge #8 ... I'm with the Russian Olympic Committee...I have a nice villa for you if you're interested, please have a seat over here to discuss....

andyjo24

Medalist
Can someone tell me how Adelina got virtually the same score as Yu-na with only a 3toe-3toe in the short? (She only received a 70 in Euros 2014 for the same clean performance).

Can someone tell me how Adelina scored 35.55 in PCS for her short program?

Can someone tell me how the hell Adelina did not get both edge and underrotation calls on her 3lutz-3toe combo?

Can someone tell me how in the world Adelina received 74.41 in PCS for her sloppy program?

Adelina did perform well, and I don't blame her, but the scoring was beyond ridiculous.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Can someone tell me how Adelina got virtually the same score as Yu-na with only a 3toe-3toe in the short? (She only received a 70 in Euros 2014 for the same clean performance).

Can someone tell me how Adelina scored 35.55 in PCS for her short program?

Can someone tell me how the hell Adelina did not get both edge and underrotation calls on her 3lutz-3toe combo?

Can someone tell me how in the world Adelina received 74.41 in PCS for her sloppy program?

Adelina did perform well, and I don't blame her, but the scoring was beyond ridiculous.

She's Russian.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Everyone around him laughed.

That sums up how Sotnikova's Olympic victory will still be remembered 10 years from now. It wont even be a controversy ala Baiul vs Kerrigan. It will be something you simply laugh off and pass off as if it doesnt exist. Basically Kim will be thought of by everyone as the 2 time Olympic winner (although in reality Kostner should have won tonight) so the official result will be as if it didnt happen at all, and will only have exposed Russian skating corruption to a higher degree than was ever known, and taint much of their great history in the sport.

No, in 10 years time, I think everyone will forget this ever happened, and the record book will show Adelina crushed her competition and won OGM. (which wasn't the reality....)

Juliasochi

Match Penalty
One of the judges for Thursday’s women’s competition is married to the general director of the Russian figure skating federation. Another, from Ukraine, was at the center of a voting scandal in ice dancing at the 1998 Nagano Olympics.

The skaters, their coaches and the public are not allowed to know how these or any of the other seven judges voted. The sport’s international governing body chooses to keep the individual

They should stop issuing visas to those corrupt judges and let them stay in Soviet Union.

usethis2

Medalist
No, in 10 years time, I think everyone will forget this ever happened, and the record book will show Adelina crushed her competition and won OGM. (which wasn't the reality....)

I disagree. That was when paper and ink were in short supply. Today we have Wikipedia and unlimited footage of videos. There is a smaller chance of such a revisionism. If anything, people will look back and see things more clearly.