Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Reactions and criticism of judging by Network commentators - NBC, CBC, BBC, etc

Peach

Rinkside
And I don't think Sotnikova deserved 149 in the long either. But I didn't think Kim deserved 150 in the long in Vancover. Inflation happens at the Olympics.

I would have probably given Adelina 71 in PCS. And Kept Kim's Pcs the same, and maybe raised Kostner's. But guess what. Sotnikova-still wins.

Kim deserved her scores more than Adelina. Just compare their quality of skating. Look at Yuna's 2010 performance and then Adelina's 2014 FS. I know it's not fair to directly compare them since they are from different events, but since you brought it up I don't see why not. ALL I'm saying is that Yuna's score was way more justifiable than Adelina's score because it was not a flawless program. I agree with you. I would've given Adelina 71 in PCS and kept Yuna the same as well. But GUESS what, I would've given lower GOEs on some of Adelina's jumps (some of them were definitely NOT GOE+3 worthy). I also would've lowered Adelina's SP score...by quite a lot actually. A LOT of people are forgetting what happened in the short program. Yuna was robbed right from the beginning. This was all planned. I'm not even Korean and I knew what was going on.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
At Trophy Bombard 2009 Yu-na got PCS scores of 66.40. At the Vancover Olympics Kim got 71.76. That's pretty big PCS boost don't you think.

Really, only 5.36 points?! That's NOTHING.

Sotnikova received 60.47 in PCS at the Grand Prix Final 13/14. At the Sochi Olympics she got 74.41.

That's a 13.94-point difference, or 260% higher than Yuna's so-called boost. Now that's what we call a scandal.

NineTails

Rinkside
And I think you just identified the Russian judge But once again-one judge. I'm sure there was super high GOE on everything too for Yu-na from the Korean judge. Guess what there wasn't even a Russian judge on the short program panel.

I think the judging system needs work yes. But once again, it wasn't just one judge.

You are now also forgetting the underscoring of these judges for Yuna and Costner. 7.75 for a PCS element for Yuna? Cough* cough*

Peach

Rinkside
And I don't think Sotnikova deserved 149 in the long either. But I didn't think Kim deserved 150 in the long in Vancover. Inflation happens at the Olympics.

I would have probably given Adelina 71 in PCS. And Kept Kim's Pcs the same, and maybe raised Kostner's. But guess what. Sotnikova-still wins.

That's what you folks are forgetting. I'm not disagreeing that Sotnikova's PCS were maybe to high. I disagree with higher PCS than Kostner. I thought Sot's PCS were higher by maybe 2 points. But NOT five points. Which is what Yu-na would have needed in order to win.

And the objectivity of all of the judges representing nations is questionable. They are all friendly close with each other because its a small community. The Japanese judge called over Hanyu while the judge was still at the boards! Its considered the job of the nation's judge to advocate for their skater.

Its ridiculous. But the Russian judge-no matter who the Russian judge was going to vote for Adelina. Just as the Korean judge was voting for Kim. And the Italian Judge- Kostner all the way.

Also, Kim's win back in 2010 was 100% justifiable. She performed the best out of all the ladies. There was no question about her placement whatsoever. Adelina on the other hand...

yuki90

On the Ice
Kim deserved her scores more than Adelina. Just compare their quality of skating. Look at Yuna's 2010 performance and then Adelina's 2014 FS. I know it's not fair to directly compare them since they are from different events, but since you brought it up I don't see why not. ALL I'm saying is that Yuna's score was way more justifiable than Adelina's score because it was not a flawless program. I agree with you. I would've given Adelina 71 in PCS and kept Yuna the same as well. But GUESS what, I would've given lower GOEs on some of Adelina's jumps (some of them were definitely NOT GOE+3 worthy). I also would've lowered Adelina's SP score...by quite a lot actually. A LOT of people are forgetting what happened in the short program. Yuna was robbed right from the beginning. This was all planned. I'm not even Korean and I knew what was going on.

Thanks and Agreed. In SP, YuNa's BV is 2 point higher than Sotnikova and thier PCS was almost same.
this is fixed. Everynone in the world knows whats going on.
In FP, BV gap between YuNa and Sotnikova is only 3.5 points.
The gap of total BV in both SP and FP is less than 2 point.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Also, Kim's win back in 2010 was 100% justifiable. She performed the best out of all the ladies. There was no question about her placement whatsoever. Adelina on the other hand...
The score was inflated, and both Rochette and Asada commented deflating.

At the Vancover Olympics Kim got 71.76. That's pretty big PCS boost don't you think.
Really, only 5.36 points?! That's NOTHING.

Sotnikova received 60.47 in PCS at the Grand Prix Final 13/14. At the Sochi Olympics she got 74.41.

That's a 13.94-point difference, or 260% higher than Yuna's so-called boost. Now that's what we call a scandal.
Sotnikova got higher PCS at TEB and at the last two Europeans than a 60.90.

Ven

Match Penalty
you are worng. In FP, BV gap between YuNa and Sot. is only 3.5 points
and in SP YuNa's BV IS 2 POINT HIGHER THAN Sotnikova.

Thank you for calculating even closer. So the idiots on NBC who say "7 triples, 6 triples" are still dumb. Only 1.5 BV difference, which is more than cancelled out by Adelina's botched jump.

YagsFan

On the Ice
I'm sorry, but you are taking this way too far! It's fine for you to have the opinion that someone else should have won (although I do wonder about your, and lots of other people's judging qualifications), but to wish unhappiness on a young girl who is in no way responsible for what you perceive as injustice, is just plain cruel. Adalina did win the OGM, whether you or I or anyone else in the universe likes it, and she certainly deserves to be happy about it! And while we're at it, what evidence do you have of judges receiving Putin payoffs? I also think it is extremely irresponsible of all those here who are stating such as fact without one iota of real evidence. (BTW, it occurs to me that if Mr. Putin was indeed inclined to bribe officials to get a particular result, it would undoubtedly have been the hockey refs---that's the heart and soul of Russian Olympic pride! But I guess he didn't go there, did he?)

this post is in reply to comments made by pangtongfan. As soon as my post appeared, I could no longer find his posts. Sorry if this now makes less sense to all.

Last edited:

Peach

Rinkside
The score was inflated, and both Rochette and Asada commented deflating.

Inflated? Both Rochette and Asada's scores were inflated as well. I don't know what you are talking about. It doesn't really matter what it was. The point that i was trying to make was that Kim performed better than all the other ladies during that event. Mao made mistakes. Rochette made mistakes. End of discussion.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Kim's base value was not that much higher than Adelina's when you add in spins footwork. Kim herself admitted that she missed a level in her spin and her footwork.

Peach

Rinkside
I'm sorry, but you are taking this way too far! It's fine for you to have the opinion that someone else should have won (although I do wonder about your, and lots of other people's judging qualifications), but to wish unhappiness on a young girl who is in no way responsible for what you perceive as injustice, is just plain cruel. Adalina did win the OGM, whether you or I or anyone else in the universe likes it, and she certainly deserves to be happy about it! And while we're at it, what evidence do you have of judges receiving Putin payoffs? I also think it is extremely irresponsible of all those here who are stating such as fact without one iota of real evidence. (BTW, it occurs to me that if Mr. Putin was indeed inclined to bribe officials to get a particular result, it would undoubtedly have been the hockey refs---that's the heart and soul of Russian Olympic pride! But I guess he didn't go there, did he?)

Who are you saying this to?

andyjo24

Medalist
Kim's base value was not that much higher than Adelina's when you add in spins footwork. Kim herself admitted that she missed a level in her spin and her footwork.

Either way the base value does not differ a whole lot. The difference is in the GOEs. Did you really think that Sotnikova deserved +3's on every single element except the small mistake on her combo?

vegarin

On the Ice

Oh. My. God.

You keep using the same logic - Kim wasn't that good anyway! Mao made mistakes! Caro wasn't good enough! Therefore Adelina's scores were totally justified - to make this go away. That's not the real issue.

Do you think if Yuna Kim skated for Russia, she and Adelina would've received the same scores they did in Sochi and would have had the same placement? What about Carolina? Would Mao be placed behind Adelina on by almost 8 points FS after landing 8 triples?

Is it really okay for a wife of the Russian figure skating federation to be one of the judges for an Olympics happening in Russia? Wouldn't--shouldn't--objectivity at least be questioned?

If both of these questions can be answered "Yes", then we have no problem and there are no issues.

But who here thinks that if Yuna Kim was a Russian skater going for her second gold (only the third woman to ever manage that in history, blah blah blah), she would've been scored much higher, and no one, not even Julia or Adelina, would have been placed anywhere near to interfere with her getting her historic second gold?

Peach

Rinkside

Where exactly did she admit that? Please do share cause you keep on repeating that over and over again. She did not miss a level on one of her spins in the SP actually. Her layback was always level 3 ever since last season. Her step sequence on the other hand was definitely lowballed. I don't understand how Adelina got level 4 while Kim didn't. Adelina's 3F was also apparently better than Yuna's flawless 3F. I'm amazed that you don't see this blatant overscoring.

andyjo24

Medalist
Yu-na's base value in SP: 31.43
Sot's in SP: 30.43

Yu-na's in LP: 57.49
Sot's in LP: 61.43

Yu-na's Combined BV: 88.92
Sot's Combined BV:91.86

Total Difference : 2.94.......

Sot won by GOE's.....

And this is including the fact that Yu-na got Lvl 3's on her step sequences for both the SP and LP.

YagsFan

On the Ice
Ven: If you indeed said what pangtongfan said you did about Tara's commentating, I call "false"! I watched every minute of the NBCSN broadcast with Tara and Johnny, and she never said anything of the kind about Yuna! That is just so wrong to spread a false rumor like that!

yuki90

On the Ice

Sot won by GOE's.....

And this is including the fact that Yu-na got Lvl 3's on her step sequences for both the SP and LP.

this is fixed from the beginning. In SP and FP, YuNa and sotnikova's PCS is almost same.

vegarin

On the Ice

Sot won by GOE's.....

2.94. And they keep trying to blame Yuna for not trying to land 3L and rack up her technical elements against 2.94 difference. Oh, yes, it's entirely her fault. :sarcasm:

Peach

Rinkside

Sot won by GOE's.....

In other words, it was rigged. There is no way Adelina's 3F was better than Yuna's 3F in the SP. It doesn't make sense that Yuna got level 3 while Adelina got level 4 with huge GOEs. It doesn't make sense that her PCS was virtually the same as Yuna's PCS and HIGHER than Carolina's (in the FS).