The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 10 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

NineTails

Rinkside
Sounds like a Queen Yuna megafan...

Yuna surpassed Sotnikova on the component mark. It was about the 6 triples to Sotnikova's 7 triples. Yuna lost the gold by about 4 points...one more triple, and the gold is hers. Her lack of a triple loop jump really cost her here...

Nope, judges played the biggest factor. Even without the extra triple, Adelina got way overscored. Without the overscoring, she probably got Bronze tonight. These are the two posts I like best that shows how much bias there was in the judging tonight:

Other disgusting facts..

Adelina also got higher goe's for her jumps than Carolina and Yuna! It is almost unvelieble how she managed how to have better jumping qualities than Yuna and Carolina(two of the best jumpers I have ever seen).

Let's see:

-2A+3T

Adelina: 2A+3T 8.14 x +1.80 9.94
Carolina: 2A+3T 7.40 +1.30 8.70
Gracie: 2A+3T 7.40 +1.30 8.70

I really think Carolina and Gracie had better 2A+3T, considering that Adelina had a very bad and awkward landing position in her 2A. She had a lean. Her back was kinda stiff.

-3S

Adelina: 3S 4.62 x +1.20 5.82
Carolina: 3S 4.62 x +1.10 5.72
Yuna: 3S 4.62 x +0.90 5.52

Both Carolina and Yuna had better salchows than Adelina.

Now, the things start to be even more ridiculous...

-3F

Adelina: 3F 5.30 +1.50 6.80
Carolina: 3F 5.30 +1.20 6.50
Kim: 3F 5.30 +1.20 6.50

Really? Caro and Kim have better flips than Adelina.

-2A

Adelina: 2A 3.63 x +1.07 4.70
Kim: 2A 3.63 x +0.79

She was also overscored in the step sequence...

She got more goe for her footwork than Mao. Mao's Rach's footwork is gorgeous.

I have just quickly computed the PCS for some of the ladies for this season and there are some findings that raise questions about the credibility of the judging:think:
3 ladies are particularly interesting to compare since they have competed in 2 GP in the GP final and in sochi and have skated the same programs (Kostner and Wagner for instance have changed their programs and thus it more difficult to make comparisons); these are Asada, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
The average PCS for the 2 GP and GP final were as follows:
Asada: 69.52
Sotn. 61.81
Lipn. 61.68

The PCS in Sotchi were as follows:
Asada: 69.68
Sotn. 74.41
Lipn. 70.06

So the differences between Sotchi and the GP are:
Asada: + 0.16
Sotn. +12.73
Lipn. +8.38

Yes......I don't think much needs to be said Whereas Asada was well ahead of the Russians girls in December, 2 months later she was considered a worse skater than Sotn. and Lipn. I wonder how confusing, frustrating, disappointing, etc. this must be for a skater.
It would be interesting to take Sotnikova's performances in December and the one in Sochi and have judges tell us where we can see a 12.73 point improvement :laugh:

millie

Medalist
Give it a break....sore losers...for everyone that didn't win a medal...protest...there are sure to be sire losers

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Yuna won the component mark.

Yeah, she won the component mark. By a whopping 0.09 points. Wow, I wonder how that wasn't enough to counter her lower TES... Sorry, but this is so sad it's funny.

moviechick

On the Ice
People realize that Wagner's outrage is directed at her own result right? This girl probably doesn't give a crap about Yuna lol.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I thought Mao should have won the FS.

She would have, if not for the UR calls and gross PCS undermarking. I mean, JULIA beat her with a fall and a UR stepout. More than Sotnikova having PCS on par with Kim, that to me was the most grievous scoring. Same with Julia's SP. I think Julia is a great talent, but she should be lower than Mao, and arguably behind Wagner.

hurrah

Medalist
People realize that Wagner's outrage is directed at her own result right? This girl probably doesn't give a crap about Yuna lol.

Ashley, I thought, was really underscored, and it was clear that the Americans did not fix Ashley at all. All the fix capital was spent on Gracie Gold, I thought. Ashley skated really well today and I enjoyed her performance. Much more so than Gracie's.

mateusp1

On the Ice
Both Carolina and Yuna were much better than Adelina.

Mao's Lp was also much better than Adelina's.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Well, rather than get heated about it, I'll just quote myself... :rolleye:

Originally Posted by Frenchie:

I hate to have to refer to SLC 2002 again, as this just makes my French half very ashamed, but... SLC 2002!
Even when there was a real scandal with people found guilty (that wouldn't be possible that clearly today), "Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet were eventually suspended from the sport for three years by the International Skating Union, which never made any serious investigation into the events." ... and then things came back to what they were before: Didier Gailhaguet resigned as president of the French Ice Sports Federation on 12 May 2004 (he wasn't even fired!), but was re-elected to that position in December 2007. He is considered the most likely to be the successor of Cinquanta as future President of the ISU.

So to sum it up, I'd say the ISU has a very pragmatic approach to scandals and controversies: "sit and wait, there's nothing they can do anyway". They awarded Salé/Pelletier with additional Gold Medals due to being pressured by the IOC. The ISU would have been fine with doing nothing. Their slogan should be something like:

ISU - yeah, well, what are you gonna do about it?

This is it in a nutshell. The scoring is a farce. Perhaps the only skating discipline that was judged fairly was men's because there was no Russian skater skating.

Well, blame everyone (IOC, ISU and the Russian hosts), but also perhaps each nation should start to question whether participating in these events without better safeguards as to their legitimacy should be continued. This was so predicted by so many people.

NineTails

Rinkside
I have just quickly computed the PCS for some of the ladies for this season and there are some findings that raise questions about the credibility of the judging:think:
3 ladies are particularly interesting to compare since they have competed in 2 GP in the GP final and in sochi and have skated the same programs (Kostner and Wagner for instance have changed their programs and thus it more difficult to make comparisons); these are Asada, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
The average PCS for the 2 GP and GP final were as follows:
Asada: 69.52
Sotn. 61.81
Lipn. 61.68

The PCS in Sotchi were as follows:
Asada: 69.68
Sotn. 74.41
Lipn. 70.06

So the differences between Sotchi and the GP are:
Asada: + 0.16
Sotn. +12.73
Lipn. +8.38

Yes......I don't think much needs to be said:laugh: Whereas Asada was well ahead of the Russians girls in December, 2 months later she was considered a worse skater than Sotn. and Lipn. I wonder how confusing, frustrating, disappointing, etc. this must be for a skater.
It would be interesting to take Sotnikova's performances in December and the one in Sochi and have judges tell us where we can see a 12.73 point improvement :laugh: Good luck judges! :biggrin:

This! People who say it was Yuna's 6 total triple versus 7 being the major reason why Adelina came up on top is being just as biased as the judges.

It isn't just the PCS either. Look at some of the GOE scoring mentioned by:

Other disgusting facts..

Adelina also got higher goe's for her jumps than Carolina and Yuna! It is almost unvelieble how she managed how to have better jumping qualities than Yuna and Carolina(two of the best jumpers I have ever seen).

Let's see:

-2A+3T

Adelina: 2A+3T 8.14 x +1.80 9.94
Carolina: 2A+3T 7.40 +1.30 8.70
Gracie: 2A+3T 7.40 +1.30 8.70

I really think Carolina and Gracie had better 2A+3T, considering that Adelina had a very bad and awkward landing position in her 2A. She had a lean. Her back was kinda stiff.

-3S

Adelina: 3S 4.62 x +1.20 5.82
Carolina: 3S 4.62 x +1.10 5.72
Yuna: 3S 4.62 x +0.90 5.52

Both Carolina and Yuna had better salchows than Adelina.

Now, the things start to be even more ridiculous...

-3F

Adelina: 3F 5.30 +1.50 6.80
Carolina: 3F 5.30 +1.20 6.50
Kim: 3F 5.30 +1.20 6.50

Really? Caro and Kim have better flips than Adelina.

-2A

Adelina: 2A 3.63 x +1.07 4.70
Kim: 2A 3.63 x +0.79

She was also overscored in the step sequence...

She got more goe for her footwork than Mao. Mao's Rach's footwork is gorgeous.