The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 13 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Sochi: Silver is the new Gold

SILVER IS THE NEW GOLD AT SOCHI!

So figure skating is now over and all us armchair judges, critics, journalists, fans, lunatics et al can continue to pontificate on conspiracies, scandals, right decisions, wrong decisions, bad judging, good judging and arm chair judging. Generally speaking we tend to go with our heart - even manipulating logic to suit our desires. I can probably make arguments for so many different winners or back the current winners. Admittedly, despite the scores differentials I can see a real good argument why all the silver medallists could be gold. I know this will anger some and make others happy but it does say a lot - it is out of the eye of the beholer.

The notion of conspiracies well remember not all the judges are Russian and there is a real emotional afect of skating in Russia or anywhere where the fans tend to push and energize the judges with their applauding and support for local nation skaters. You can't help but get caught up. They are human. But there was clear reason for each gold medallist to win gold though I also see clear argument for the silver medallist to win. I kow this won't be popular agreed but it is with in the realm of reality or in law on crimnal senteincgn iti s int he range of sentencing or in this case - decisions/judgment.

In pairs K and S were brililant - confident, sharp adn very crisp with no hesitiation or stiffness or tightness like the Olympic champions; they also skated cleanly. In men's and ladies and dance you can make an argument with COP that Chan, Virtue and Moir as well as Kim all should have been given far higher pcs as they are truly the better skaters/dancers in respect to pcs. Yes some will disagree but you see much arguemtn that these are exceptional pc skaters and you don't or cant' always have that. Even making an error these teams more than compensate it with brilliant overall skating.

Regardless all should be applauded.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm talking about the PCS bump over a month period. Are you telling me Adelina improved her PCS skating by ~10 points within a month? If all skaters got around the 10 point bump, I would not be here right now. Clearly Adelina got the biggest bump by FAR. Not just her PCS, her GOE to me were were rewarded higher also.

Well two months ago she bombed GPF so bad she couldn't even cry in the kiss and cry. It wasn't sad like Yulia today but instead pathetic. I wonder if that hurt her PCS average you speak of? I'm just saying if you can't make a valid case for all three to win then your not viewing this sport with an open mind. Pcs Schmee-See-Ess. Adelina is your gold medalist this year. You're going to drive yourself nuts if you try to figure out subjective judging not unlike a husband trying to figure out his wife. He may think he has but he NEVER will. Ever read all the loopholes in ISU guidelines for applying GOE? It's subjective to the core. Learn to except that your not always going to win just like that husband and wife.

mwk81

Rinkside
I feel some are just trying to wave this off as "angry yuna and Carolina fans", but as been mentioned, look at the skating insiders and their statements. This isn't just bitterness. Just thought I'd mention that

flower97

Spectator
Well said!!! This country is just unbelievable! No sportsmanship and totally insult the participating athletes. Russia should be banned forever in any figure skating competitions.

bara1968

On the Ice

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I feel some are just trying to wave this off as "angry yuna and Carolina fans", but as been mentioned, look at the skating insiders and their statements. This isn't just bitterness. Just thought I'd mention that

Beyond the skating insiders and the statements, the near unanimous shocked expressions of nearly everyone posting here when Adelina, Julia, and Yuna's scores were posted pretty much sums it up.

Becki

Medalist
How hilarious. I couldn't believe that after watching the FS so I went to double check and you are right! Holy wow. Mao did not even get 70 PCS with that performance while Yulia get 70.. Russia really went the full length.

Yeah, after I saw Yulia's PCs, I decided this was BS. And Gracie's PCs....was also BS.

caitie

Medalist
To me THIS was the biggest joke of the night.
Nothing against the hard working Julia. But her basic skating skills are nowhere as near as Yuna/Caro/Mao. You only have to look at how many times she has to stroke to cover the same distance. And the GOEs for her jumps are just plain wrong.

I think going in such an early group really hurt Mao, as it would hurt any skater. The judges hold back the big PCS scores until the final group, it's just the way it is.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
On a sidenote, I wonder if today's results will impact S. Korea and Russia's relations moving forwards.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Definitely did not see Adelina hitting it out of the ballpark and winning the Gold Medal. I loved her FS and thought
she deserved first place. After being cast aside by her Federation like an ugly stepchild in favor of Julia,
how thrilling and sweet this win must be for her.

Yuna blew me away with her SP. I thought she skated with passion and she told a story
with her skating, very moving. Her FS not so much even though she skated well.
To come to Sochi as Olympic Champion and win Silver is a rare accomplishment.
She is a true talent and champion.

Caro was magnificent in the SP and FS. Her SP and FS for me is like watching art on ice.
I am so happy that she won the Bronze. Super ending to a long career with lots of ups and downs.
I will miss the Goddess on Ice!

Congratulations Ladies well done.

Highlights for me:

Mao's FS, WOW!!!!

Ashley's FS

Mae Berniece FS

Gracie's FS

Akiko's FS

I thought it was a great competition with a lot of beautiful skating! I am happy!

Zora

On the Ice
That took more than two years, after bringing home gold, silver and bronze for every competition she's ever been in. Not two months.

Oh, and let me tell you. During a year and half coming up to the Worlds and eventually in Vancouver, Yuna lost once, to Mao, and once only, and it was at the GPF that was taking place AT HER OWN COUNTRY. Her PCS didn't skyrocket conveniently for the Olympics that takes place in her own home country. :rolleye:
Yuna:
TEB 2009: 66.40
Skate America: 61.52
GPF: 61.70
Olympics: 71.76

10 points from her worst to her Olympic performance, 5 points from her best performance.

Sotnikova:
Cup of China: 60.31
TEB: 64.65
Euros: 69.60
Olympics: 74.41
14 points difference from her worst to her Olympic performance, that's more than Yuna, yes, but unlike Yuna she really struggled in the beginning of the season. And about 5 points from her best performance before the Olympics.
Also before Vancouver, Yuna was never close to 150 before either.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Definitely did not see Adelina hitting it out of the ballpark and winning the Gold Medal. I loved her FS and thought
she deserved first place. After being cast aside by her Federation like an ugly stepchild in favor of Julia,
how thrilling and sweet this win must be for her.

Yuna blew me away with her SP. I thought she skated with passion and she told a story
with her skating, very moving. Her FS not so much even though she skated well.
To come to Sochi as Olympic Champion and win Silver is a rare accomplishment.
She is a true talent and champion.

Caro was magnificent in the SP and FS. Her SP and FS for me is like watching art on ice.
I am so happy that she won the Bronze. Super ending to a long career with lots of ups and downs.
I will miss the Goddess on Ice!

Congratulations Ladies well done.

Highlights for me:

Mao's FS, WOW!!!!

Ashley's FS

Mae Berniece FS

Gracie's FS

Akiko's FS

I thought it was a great competition with a lot of beautiful skating! I am happy!

ITA except I didn't enjoy weeping for Yulia while I did enjoy it for Mao!

NineTails

Rinkside
Well two months ago she bombed GPF so bad she couldn't even cry in the kiss and cry. It wasn't sad like Yulia today but instead pathetic. I wonder if that hurt her PCS average you speak of? I'm just saying if you can't make a valid case for all three to win then your not viewing this sport with an open mind. Pcs Smee-She-Ess. Adelina is your gold medalist this year. You're going to drive yourself nuts if you try to figure out subjective judging not unlike a husband trying to figure out his wife. He may think he has but he NEVER will. Ever read all the loopholes in ISU guidelines for applying GOE? It's subjective to the core. Learn to except that your not always going to win just like that husband and wife.

This is pretty much what I'm talking about. Figure skating is a subjectively scored sports versus lets say a 100m dash. Unfortunately, this subjectivity was abused today. You are one of the few minority who seem to disagree with this today.

My point was that there was biased judging tonight in favor of Adelina. Enough so that if affected the outcome of the standings.

It was unprecedented bump in PCS over such a short time. If we polled current and past Olympic skaters where Adelina should be scored relative to Costner/Kim in terms of PCS, she should be at least 5 points lower right now. YuNa beat Adelina in PCS: by 0.09 points tonight...hmm. Adelina actually beat Costner!!!

Right, subjectivity. It seems like the judges were just like you, the very small minority. Jokes aside I do believe few/some of the judges had ulterior motives than just judging the programs themselves.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuna:

10 points from her worst to her Olympic performance, 5 points from her best performance.

Sotnikova:
14 points difference from her worst to her Olympic performance, that's more than Yuna, yes, but unlike Yuna she really struggled in the beginning of the season. And about 5 points from her best performance before the Olympics.

Is Putin paying you to corrupt this thread? Lol. I appreciate people seeing two sides to the story.

VirMo

On the Ice
Yuna didn't bring her best game, but she wasn't really playing to win. She just wanted to do a performance that she wanted. Both programs of her this year were not actually score-garnering programs, compared to her Vancouver programs. They were more introverted and subtle, but this does not mean that they were any less difficult. It is probably even more difficult to still look graceful while pulling off all those technical levels.

Having said that, although this did make it a close race, Sotnikova was completely unexpected. It seemed like European judges have been building this up since the Russian nationals. She might have been a close contender but that performance did not deserve 75+ PCS. This will actually ruin her career because she got such a big reward, perhaps the biggest reward that a competitive figure skater can ever receive, with such controversy, no one is really sure why she won.

vegarin

On the Ice
Yuna:

Sotnikova:

So, Julia's PCS increase during the last couple of months is at least 5 points higher than Yuna's PCS increase from 2009 to 2010 as the World Champion and about half a dozen GPF titles who went on to perform flawlessly for the Olympics ?

Thanks for making my point.