The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am looking at the SP and LP protocols and had Yuna received level 4 for her step sequences she would have won the gold. No idea how Adelina got level 4 (both in SP and LP, no one else did), and everybody but Yuna (Adelina, Mao, Carolina) got level 4 in LP. Yuna got level 3 in both SP and LP. The tech panel was absolutely determined.

Can't take this seriously.

For sure. It is absolutely impossible that Yuna could have missed a feature that would drop the level down. :rolleye: I have not read one article in the media quoting an expert who disagrees with the level of her footwork in her SP.

jcsamex

Rinkside
Do I agree on her placement? Absolutely. She deserved to win tonight. Her program was superb even with her evident PCS weaknesses.

Do I agree on her score? Absolutely not. Her PCS were ridicously inflated. But then again, so were Lipnistkaia's and Gold's.

For me, out of the top names, the only ladies judged correctly were Mao Asada and Ashley Wagner on both of their programs. Their score really reflected what the did on the ice but I found it astoundingly unfair the other people weren't judged with the same strictness.

These would've been my ~scores for the LP:

1. Mao Asada: 143~ (and finished fourth overall)
2. Adelina Sotnikova: 136~
3. Yuna Kim: 135~ (due to her lack of difficulty and attack, specially tonight).
4. Carolina Kostner: 133~
5. Ashley Wagner: 128~
6- Gracie Gold: 127~
7. Julia Lipnistkaia: 125~
8. Polina Edmunds: 123~
9. Akkiko Suzuki: 119~
10. Mae Berenice Meite: 118~

Ergo, the podium placements should've remained the same.

BTW, I just wonder if Sotnikova will retire after winning the top prize in figure skating or will continue to engross her legacy.

flor87

Spectator
I think Yuna Kim was way better. Maybe Adelina had the most difficult routine, but her PCS were really high. Much more than I expected. It was so close to Yuna's scores in Vancouver. It makes no sense. I would have put 1 Kim 2 Kostner 3 Sotnikova. BUT while I am a Yuna Kim fan, I can understand that Adelina won. I don't think it's fair, but this IS a subjective sport, and we should enjoy it as such. Because at the end of the day, it's what makes it so fascinating. If we wanted to see an objective sport, we would all be in a football forum.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She had a stepout and no spiral sequence and scored almost the same as Yuna 2010. So yeah, laugh at that.

I really like Adelina, and wanted her on the podium, but not like that. What a disgrace.

You do realize she got -GOE for the step out, right? Should she have taken a 6 point PCS deduction for that? And Yuna did only 6 triples in Vancouver too.

PftJump

On the Ice
Sotni fan's can't explain why Mao gets lower score than her.

High BV theory? High BV irony!

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, Korea is not a poor country, they have money for sure, probably more than Russia, so I guess that Adelina, Julia and all Russian legion will have a big surprise in 2018 with Yuna or without her.

will74lsn

Rinkside
I have just quickly computed the PCS for some of the ladies for this season and there are some findings that raise questions about the credibility of the judging:think:
3 ladies are particularly interesting to compare since they have competed in 2 GP in the GP final and in sochi and have skated the same programs (Kostner and Wagner for instance have changed their programs and thus it more difficult to make comparisons); these are Asada, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia
The average PCS for the 2 GP and GP final were as follows:
Asada: 69.52
Sotn. 61.81
Lipn. 61.68

The PCS in Sotchi were as follows:
Asada: 69.68
Sotn. 74.41
Lipn. 70.06

So the differences between Sotchi and the GP are:
Asada: + 0.16
Sotn. +12.73
Lipn. +8.38

Yes......I don't think much needs to be said:laugh: Whereas Asada was well ahead of the Russians girls in December, 2 months later she was considered a worse skater than Sotn. and Lipn. I wonder how confusing, frustrating, disappointing, etc. this must be for a skater.
It would be interesting to take Sotnikova's performances in December and the one in Sochi and have judges tell us where we can see a 12.73 point improvement :laugh: Good luck judges! :biggrin:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I would not have had her win (i would have swapped her with Yuna) but I can see how she did it (7 triples to Yuna's 6). I disagree with the result but I don't think the Russians cooked the books or anything.

Her PCS were outrageous but what matters is the result not the score.

JYSkate

Rinkside
Or 7-triples in an inspired program > 6-triple flat program. But the villas does sound like a more opulent explanation. :)

lol you are obviously bias. inspired program vs flat program? While it's true that Adelina had more jumps in her fs (therefore higher tech marks), her sp had massively inflated marks without the extra technical difficulties. The judges pretty much made her 'the perfect skater' with every component GOE at 1.0+ up. It's not only Yuna fans who disagrees with the scores either.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/20/sochi-olympics-adelina-sotnikov-carolina-kostner-reaction/

bara1968

On the Ice
she did NOT deserve to win, period. How can you people explain her PCS rise in 2 month? HUH? Yuna was definitely held down in GOE and PCS in both SP and FS. In SP, there was one judge gave 7.75 in CH to Yuna, which does not make any sense. This judge gave Yuna very low PCS in every category along with another unknown judge. According to Sot's PCS in SP, one those two judges should have given her 8.25-9.75 in every category. What a shame.

Watching Sot, I did not realize that I was looking at one of the greatest performance in COP era, scorewise. RIP figure skating.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
she did NOT deserve to win, period. How can you people explain her PCS rise in 2 month? HUH? Yuna was definitely held down in GOE and PCS in both SP and FS. In SP, there was one judge gave 7.75 in CH to Yuna, which does not make any sense. This judge gave Yuna very low PCS in every category along with another unknown judge. According to Sot's PCS in SP, those two judges should have given her 8.5-9.75 in every category. What a shame.

Watching Sot, I did not realize that I was looking at one of the greatest performance in COP era, scorewise. RIP figure skating.

Well to be fair, Yuna's choreography was underwhelming. Carolina had stupendous choreography though. She should have been streets ahead of both of them in choreography and interpretation (imo).

Chrissy

Rinkside
For me results are shocking and I also feel the judging was inflated for some of the skaters. I am going to watch it again.

jaylee

Medalist
For the record, Yu-Na was asked to compare performances or comment on Adelina's performance in some way. She declined to make any comparison at all.

Well...there aren't any comparisons...*long pause* Well....Firstly...There shouldn't be any comparisons. She has a natural talent, she worked hard, she had good luck...Just all of these factors melded well together and gave her a good result.

Gracious and classy.