Worlds coverage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Worlds coverage

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yup. For CBC Television, as opposed to Online, click the button on top of the schedule to move between the two and view the slight differences in coverage between t.v. and online.

Glen Parry

Rinkside
Sadly, there's no indication Aunty Beeb will be showing them.

It used to be we got coverage of, pretty much, every figurre skating event on the BBC; back in the days of Currie, Cousing and Torvill and Dean, but they've become really erratic in their coverage over since they decided the Brits didn't have much chance of a medal any longer.

Sadly, it's become a case of paying through the nose for sporting channels that you'll only watch for those events you really want to see or doing without completely.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Sadly, it's become a case of paying through the nose for sporting channels that you'll only watch for those events you really want to see or doing without completely.
I assume you're in the UK then? It is possible without "paying through the nose", but depends on where you live and what other services you happen to use.

eg. I get VirginMedia cable TV - which works out dirt cheap because it's part of a package where I get cable TV, cable broadband, landline phone and mobile phone from them too. (I deliberately moved to a cable area, so I would never have anything to do with Sky or BT... and definitely never pay either of them any money. But that's another story).

Anyway, the TV package includes British Eurosport 1 & 2, both in HD, which provide excellent coverage of the big ISU competitions these days. Although over-running live snooker (don't get me started -_-) and tennis often intrude on the schedules. Best commentators too in my opinion (the Simon Reed gang).

Unfortunately, the fact that Eurosport buys the broadcast rights for the major competitions... means that a) the BBC doesn't broadcast them for all to see for free, and b) internet streaming of them by services like Ice Network get geoblocked in the UK (I.N. could otherwise be a fairly cost-effective solution).

Other than that, there's always Youtube...! Not exactly reliable, not always good quality, and maybe not in a language you understand. But it's better than nothing. And sometimes you can find footage that the likes of Eurosport "skipped" in favour of ******* snooker or whatever. Thank you, youtube posters!

Glen Parry

Rinkside
Ah, good old Virgin. Unfortunately, I can't have cable as the local council told NTL (tells you how old I am :) ) that they were making too much mess and couldn't lay any more cables, back in the late 80's.

Sky is a dodgy option as I live in a no dish area, so I'm stuck with a rather unreliable BT TV service, or Freeview.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Right now, Eurosport (1) already has the following on the schedule for Wednesday 26/3:
07:30 Men's SP (live, 300 minutes!)
12:30 Pairs SP (not live, 120 mins)

Sure hope this is a good sign and they are gonna air a lot of live Worlds!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Right now, Eurosport (1) already has the following on the schedule for Wednesday 26/3:
07:30 Men's SP (live, 300 minutes!)
12:30 Pairs SP (not live, 120 mins)

Sure hope this is a good sign and they are gonna air a lot of live Worlds!

Use the search, it shows similar scheduling on the Thursday, so prospects look good.
http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=figure skating

No tennis tournaments? So we might get Simon Reed commentating for British viewers?

I see there is live Snooker on British Eurosport in the same period - no doubt it will overrun its schedules by several hours every day, steamrolling everything scheduled after it, and leaving non-snooker fans in the UK to wail and gnash their teeth and punch their TV screens. As usual.

But due to the timezeones, the live skating (and first showings of non-live highlights) look to be scheduled in the mornings, and on the other Eurosport channel - so hopefully skating won't fall victim this time...

Anyway, the TV package includes British Eurosport 1 & 2, both in HD, which provide excellent coverage of the big ISU competitions these days.

:laugh:

Unfortunately, the fact that Eurosport buys the broadcast rights for the major competitions... means that a) the BBC doesn't broadcast them for all to see for free, and b) internet streaming of them by services like Ice Network get geoblocked in the UK (I.N. could otherwise be a fairly cost-effective solution).

Those two things are not related. Both BBC and Eurosport have the rights. BBC could stream Worlds online or provide full access on the red button, at least. Since it's your tax money, you can write to them to suggest that.

Other than that, there's always Youtube...! Not exactly reliable, not always good quality, and maybe not in a language you understand. But it's better than nothing. And sometimes you can find footage that the likes of Eurosport "skipped" in favour of ******* snooker or whatever. Thank you, youtube posters!

There's TVTeka. I assume one of the Russian channels will be showing Worlds in full.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Those two things are not related. Both BBC and Eurosport have the rights.
Oh? Where did you find this information?

I thought the BBC had rights for Winter Olympics up to at least 2018, and possibly World's - but you're saying they have the rights to the other major ISU competitions as well?

noskates

Record Breaker
Universal WILL be covering Worlds. I sent them several emails and finally got an answer. But if you go to their website it still isn't listed. They did say they would be covering from the 19th through the 26th?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Universal WILL be covering Worlds. I sent them several emails and finally got an answer. But if you go to their website it still isn't listed. They did say they would be covering from the 19th through the 26th?

Last I checked, the coverage dates/times for Worlds are on the Universal website -- listed under its GP coverage. (Not intuitive to be under that heading, but whatever. ;))

And the schedule is posted in a separate GS thread:

sinless69uk

Rinkside
Why does British Eurosport usually show 15 minutes of sporting bloopers (WATTS) when the skating is listed and already in progress?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Why does British Eurosport usually show 15 minutes of sporting bloopers (WATTS) when the skating is listed and already in progress?
Because if there's no live snooker or tennis overrunning into the skating... that's their backup to annoy us with instead.

Because I swear there's some $%^& in charge of scheduling at Eurosport who is a fan of snooker (and possibly tennis too), who also hates skating. And when grudgingly forced to show any, tries to disrupt it as much as possible. I'm sure this person also goes out of their way to wiggle the audio feed cables occasionally, to make the music/commentary crackle and break up every now and then, during the skating.

I have dark fantasies about winning a giant amount of money on the European lottery or something, and using it to buy the exclusive broadcast rights for Snooker. Thus denying those rights to Eurosport. I would consider passing on the rights to Eurosport or another broadcaster if they provided absolute guarantees to a) not broadcast snooker live, ever (highlights only) and b) adhere rigidly to their published snooker schedules and never allow it to overrun. Otherwise I would simply bury all broadcasting...

Furthermore... oh the men in white coats are here... never mind...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because if there's no live snooker or tennis overrunning into the skating... that's their backup to annoy us with instead.

Because I swear there's some $%^& in charge of scheduling at Eurosport who is a fan of snooker (and possibly tennis too), who also hates skating. And when grudgingly forced to show any, tries to disrupt it as much as possible. I'm sure this person also goes out of their way to wiggle the audio feed cables every now and then, to make the music/commentary crackle and break up every now and then, during the skating.

I have dark fantasies about winning a giant amount of money on the European lottery or something, and using it to buy the exclusive broadcast rights for Snooker. Thus denying those rights to Eurosport. I would consider passing on the rights to Eurosport or another broadcaster if they provided absolute guarantees to a) not broadcast snooker live, ever (highlights only) and b) adhere rigidly to their published snooker schedules and never allow it to overrun. Otherwise I would simply bury all broadcasting...

Furthermore, oh the men in white coats are here... never mind...

^this :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

lefeury

Rinkside
Hey, I'm new,, I just signed up for Dishworld for $10.00 per mo. It is an app that doesn't require cable or satellite you just sign up and download the app to your computer or other device. Universal Sports is one of the channels. I only got it to watch worlds and it doesn't cover junior worlds, but I can watch the events live from my computer. Only downside is that I can't save the programs for later. Also I can cancel any time I want. Anyone else ever use this?

lefeury

Rinkside
Actually I was wrong,, I just started watching today, a gymnastics special that aired on the 12th . So I can rewatch anything I miss for I think 2 weeks. I would rather pay and watch when I want than try to find other online feeds to watch in the middle of the night. I'm in the US btw.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually I was wrong,, I just started watching today, a gymnastics special that aired on the 12th . So I can rewatch anything I miss for I think 2 weeks. I would rather pay and watch when I want than try to find other online feeds to watch in the middle of the night. I'm in the US btw.

Welcome aboard. I'm too cheap to pay for anything but respect your commitment. You'll notice certain posters put out videos within a half hour or so after the event via YouTube feeds. Certain posters supply links in the event threads so you can watch online if your not home and can't wait like me. I watched euros on a cell phone! I'm posting like crazy these days due to a busted knee and near complete immobility so hopefully I won't annoy you like I am sure I am to others!

lefeury

Rinkside
Not a problem for me, Sam. I will watch videos too as I don't think Universal is going to air the entire event. I have bad eyesight so the phone viewing would give me a headache!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Thanks for this info. My cable company moved Univ Sports to one of its high-end tiers and I wasn't about to add any more $$$ on to my already-insane cable rates. After briefly checking out the Dishworld site, the only downside that jumped out for me is that the app won't work w/ the OS on my 5-year-old Macbook. Apparently it will be OK on my iPhone, though, so I'm considering it.

Another good thing is that Dishworld allows you to cancel @ any time -- no contracts or minimum commitment. All in all, sounds like a fine option. Thanks again! :clap: