Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

Manitou

Medalist
Congratulations Adelina, I hope you are happy! I hope you are happy that you won gold with such controversy, backed by the support of your home crowd and judges, probably you have never even dreamt of it. I hope you really cherish the moment because you will never be able to get any respect even with your shining gold medal!

This is how adults' politics and egos ruin a young promising skater's world-wide reputation and career.

Such evil venom. This kind of posts should be banned here...

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I agree with the first half of your comment. Where was the biased judging against Russians in Vancouver? Plushenko was marked very generously, K/S and Leonova weren't really contenders, and V/M & D/W rightfully deserved their placements in ice dance.
Dom/Sha did not stand a chance from the moment they took to the ice.
Four years ago they were accused of being racist for their OD.
Makarova skated clean in the SP & was under-marked.
Mur/Tra were under-marked in the pairs SP.
Plushenko was always up against it.
It's only ever a "fix" when the "Bad Russians" win.
The racism on these threads is disgusting.
Also, to say Adelina won because she is Russian is an insult to figure skating not the judging here in Sochi.
The D/W & V/M lock-in for the past five years has been a "fix" & I'm a fan of them. But can you honestly say that they have been the best two ice dance couples EVERYTIME for the past 5 years ?.
W/P should have beaten D/W at the 2011 COR in SD.
Should V/M been in second place in the SD at last years Worlds when they made errors ?.
But it's only a "fix" when Russians do well.
Like I said, Adelina is not my favourite skater but I hate to see the vile comments made about her & the Gold medal she has just won.
Adelina is the new Olympic champion.
Get over it.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
I don't see any posts actually criticizing Adelina personally. Those who are accusing posters here of doing that are trying to get everyone to stop discussing the fallacies of the judging that took place in Russia.

And of course, whenever these misjudgements occur, the skaters aren't to be blamed, except when and if they defend it in a callous way in an interview, as Patrick Chan used to do.

I've read that people are writing nasty things on Adelina's Facebook - I don't know first-hand. I meant that Adelina surely belonged on the podium and maybe for her a controversial and somewhat "premature" OGM will be difficult to handle in the future, if she fails to deliver (and after OGM expectations are high), if she suffers injuries, and so on. I hope she won't be thrown under the bus if she experiences any difficulties, you know. Look at Carolina Kostner, she was indeed tore to pieces for years by public opinion, and now she has had her personal triumph.

I know that figure skating is such a hic et nunc sport: you better take what you can because who knows what may happen tomorrow. OTOH, since I like Adelina, I'd love to see her potential fulfilled (not only in terms of hardware).

Zamboni

On the Ice
I think she seems like a very sweet girl. I like her skating much more than Julia's (at this point, anyway). I do think Julia has a great deal of talent, but so does everyone in the top ten!

I still think the skate of the day was by Mao. That was so emotional, and possibly her last skate ever. Oh, Mao, what might have been. :cry:

VirMo

On the Ice
All things Adelina Sotnikova

Being a gold medalist among such controversy is never good. I do think she is a good skater that had plenty of potential, but there are going to be so many people thinking she did not deserve it. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, maybe she would have won even with a fair judging. But if there was any conspiracy, Russa just ruined a young promising skater's future career and life.

I doubt if world-wide figure skating community and fans, of course not all of them, will recognize her as a true champion. I also don't know if she will be able to keep up with this - she hasn't exactly been building up for Olympic Gold like other skaters. I don't even know if she will have motivation to improve herself and keep competing because, well she won OGM already.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Being a gold medalist among such controversy is never good. I do think she is a good skater that had plenty of potential, but there are going to be so many people thinking she did not deserve it. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, maybe she would have won even with a fair judging. But if there was any conspiracy, Russa just ruined a young promising skater's future career and life.

I doubt if world-wide figure skating community and fans, of course not all of them, will recognize her as a true champion. I also don't know if she will be able to keep up with this - she hasn't exactly been building up for Olympic Gold like other skaters. I don't even know if she will have motivation to improve herself and keep competing.

I will say this: I am impressed with her persistence. She had lived through some dark times in her career and for a moment there it looked like she was out of favor with the Russian fed as the likes of Julia Lipnitskaia and Elena Radionova came to the scene. It makes me hopeful that other skaters, who I've seen struggle, can to reemerge and become a champion.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
wow, the bots jut keep coming
don't worry she int retiring anytime soon ;)

she will have plenty of time to prove herself wrong
I don't think she harnessed half her potential yet, that triple toe height has the makings of a quad !
she is still a headcase but well see,

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I will say this: I am impressed with her persistence. She had lived through some dark times in her career and for a moment there it looked like she was out of favor with the Russian fed as the likes of Julia Lipnitskaia and Elena Radionova came to the scene. It makes me hopeful that other skaters, who I've seen struggle, can to reemerge and become a champion.

maybe Mirai, Tuk, is not a lost cause after all :yes:

Manitou

Medalist
Adelina is fine and doesn't need any advice from sore losers. Her future is bright and depends entirely on how she manages her career.

The old is gone and you bitter people need to swallow it. There is new youth in this discipline: Adelina, Yulia, Polina, Gracie. New energy and new spirit. And I hope the rules will promote them: this is a sport, not some shmartistic show. Create your own Artistic Games if you want to celebrate ballet. This is about energy and athleticism. And should be.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina is fine and doesn't need any advice from sore losers. Her future is bright and depends entirely on how she manages her career.

The old is gone and you bitter people need to swallow it. There is new youth in this discipline: Adelina, Yulia, Polina, Gracie. New energy and new spirit. And I hope the rules will promote them: this is a sport, not some shmartistic show. Create your own Artistic Games if you want to celebrate ballet. This is about youth, energy and athleticism. And should be.

agreed, the next quad will be about the hard jumps, youthfulness and athleticism
FS needs new blood ! isn't it a sport first afterall

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Will Sotnikova retire?

Seems like the teens that win tend to (Oksana, Tara, Sarah). While I don't doubt that she could continue, she's now a huge star in Russia and there are probably lots of opportunities. We've already seen Julia overshadow her at competitions--Elena will be a senior next year too. Might it be best to go out on top?

I wonder if we'll see her at worlds...

yuki90

On the Ice
Katarina Witt (German Figure Skater) "Shame Gold Medal, Yuna Kim is a real queen" Bill Plaschke (American Sports Journalist) "Kim didn't win...unbelievable...scandal written all over this...Russian Sotnikova wins, fans going crazy, Kim disappears, wrong, wrong" Alex Goldberger (Olympics Researcher at NBC) "Adelina Sotnikova was excellent tonight, but Yuna Kim was robbed"Terra Findlay (Canadian ice dancer) "I'm speechless. Yuna Kim, you are a queen"NBC Olympics (Official Twitter) "Yuna Kim wins Silver. 17 year old Sotnikova wins Gold, and Kostner wins bronze. Do you agree with the results?"ESPN Official Website News Article titled "Home Cooking", "Home-Ice Advantage" CBC Commentary: "That's a shock...Did you see that coming" (of Sotnikova winning) "Well I think I saw a medal coming, I'm just not sure we thought it was going to be that one" "As caught up in the moment as I was... I'm still stuck on quality of skating that Yuna Kim has, and the moments where you see jarring images during Sotnikova that she's not ready yet ...The judges have their job and I really look forward to looking at it again so I can see it with fresh eyes but yes I am sitting here a little stunned"New York Times: "Comparing the Jumps of Sotnikova and Yu-na" included rating of Sotnikova's Triple Flip and Double axel as "Poor" in the free program and Yu-na's ratings consisted of Good only. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------As you can probably tell, the world was keeping an eye on Yuna Kim who has set a World Record for the history of Women's Figure Skating, to defend her gold medalist title this Sochi Olympic 2014. The free skating event took place this morning and nobody denies the fact the Sotnikova did present to her potential. She did an amazing job and showed amazing performance. The one mistake she made was the stumbling after one of her jumps which was - although small - quite visible even to the public who do not know professional knowledge of figure skating. Nevertheless, she achieved her best score of 149.95 which was 0.11 away from Yu-na Kim's world record of 150.06 at the Vancouver Olympics. This comparison illustrates the home advantage already although I do admit that rules have changed since then but we are talking of quality of programme here. Next up was Yuna Kim, she skated and her performance can be shown through what the CBC commenters said "this woman has no equal". She did show tiny unstable landing in one of her jumps, but relative to the stumble shown by Sotnikova, it was not as visible and she carried on with superb acting performance. "If you were to write a textbook, that would be how to do it", "Nobody compares to the flow she takes as she jumps and on the landings, nobody" (CBC)

on_the_horizon

Rinkside
Honestly, I think this was Sotnikova's best chance at OGM. She was given a golden opportunity with Olympics being held in her backyard, and she smartly utilized it to her full capacity. She is to be commended for knowing when her time is and using it. However, now that she has her much coveted OGM, the only thing she could possibly want as well must be a Worlds Gold Medal. I doubt it'll be materialized in Tokyo Worlds as I think that one would be more than likely to be reserved for the retiring Japanese skaters like Mao/Akiko, but 2015 Worlds is open to anyone for grabs. So, maybe her federation will back her up until she gets the Worlds Gold Medal (which will occur pretty soon within the next couple of seasons, I predict) and then they'll move onto new girls like Elena, Serafima, and many others who are vying for the top position in their country. If Sotnikova is thinking to defend her title in Pyeonchang by any chance, I won't say it's an impossible dream, but she'll face a heck of competition doing it.

VirMo

On the Ice
Sotnikov became the sixth person to have beaten Yu-na Kim

In her entire career starting from novice to her swan song stage Sochi Olympics, she has never placed out of podium, won 30 gold medals (based on total only, not counting for sp/fs separate mdelas), 6 silvers, 3 bronzes. All three of her bronze medals only came between 2006 and 2008 when she was suffering from back injury.

Now she has added one silver to her collection and another person on record to have defeated her with a higher score in the same competition.

Nana Takeda(1), Fumie Suguri(1): Novice/Junior only
Joannie Rochette(1), Mao Asada(4), Miki Ando(2): Novice~Senior

And Adelina Sotnikova(1).

Just thought it was interesting.

hurrah

Medalist
agreed, the next quad will be about the hard jumps, youthfulness and athleticism
FS needs new blood ! isn't it a sport first afterall

I don't know. Mao did an eight-triple program which included a triple-axel and both toe loop and loop as the second jump, and the tech controller anulled that historical skate by making it out that she under-rotated two of her triples, which she did not, so I think the judges who judge according to who knows what criteria make the sports and possibly not the athletes.

The next jump probably won't be about hard jumps. It will continue to be about judges. It is and will continue to be full of youthfulness, athleticism and alot of hard work... on the part of the athletes that is, not the judges.