Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

Nater

Match Penalty
Well, I think all the skaters skated their hearts out, and she didn't have the most technical program. Mao did. Mao had the most technically difficult program in all of figure skating history, and she pulled it off. And she scored lower than Adelina, and by the way, Mao is a better skater than Adelina. Did you know that?

It doesn't matter because Mao's SP was a splatfest. She was crushed by the pressure, and Adelina wasn't and looked like she was having the time of her life in the process.

Also, it's easier to do Multiple UR Triples than Multiple fully rotated triples, especially with the speed and amplitude Sotnikova employs.

Nater

Match Penalty
you're so dam* cocky.. relax.. before you start celebrating make sure that 4years for now everything is good.. you never know.. one injury or puberty will hit one skater and that will be it.. humility...

I'm pretty sure Sotnikova has gone through Puberty already. Remember all the problems she was having when Tuktamysheva was running the tables on the Grand Prix while she was having worse results? That was the results of her issues with Puberty (having to rework a lot of her jumps, timing, etc.). I think it's safe to say she survived puberty (Tuktamysheva has thus far not been as fortunate).

Also, people are acting like Sotnikova is a Tuktamysheva-level "Skater" She is much better than that and the way the judges held her skating down due to her being "newer on the scene" is IMO not a true representation of how talented or good she is as a skater.

If Yuna Kim deserves a 9 for SS and Transition in the programs she showed, Adelina sure as hell did cause she had a lot more difficult skating and definitely a lot more transitions in her programs. Perf/Exec speaks for itself. She sold the sh*t out of those programs and she was on fire. CH is more subjective but her program certainly had more of it than Kim's. However, that is the most subjective component (along with Perf/Exec).

I think people need to also realize that a lot of reputation scoring gets done in this sport. Yuna is a reputed skater, and even if she showed up with WORSE programs she would have still gotten high PCS because the judges dare not mark her down at this point. If it will be a scandal to mark down Yuna's PCS when she actually deserves low-mid 8s instead of 9-10s, how is a newer skater who outperforms her supposed to ever win against her. Should they just accept that they will lose everytime until Kim retires "for good." What if she showed up in 2018 with 6 triples and wanted a third gold. Default win just for standing up in her program? Using PCS to try to gift wins to other skaters is just a bad way to do it because the PCS system is stupid and has pretty much exclusively been used to rank skaters since the system was practically incepted (which is why I think it's stupid). There are younger skaters that deserve higher PCS, but the judges never give it to them. Then the next year when they show up skating the same way all of a sudden they get an extra 0.75 average in all PCS categories. How do you explain that... Inconsistent skaters are routinely penalized in PCS, as well. This is why Lipnitskaya's components went up even across grand prix events (which were hardly "Russian Nationals"). This is also why Mao Asada's components have tended to be scored conservatively compared to Yuna's even though technically she is a superior "components skater" IMO.

Kim did not deserve some of the high components she got, and since the commentators aren't actually explaining to you people what goes into the PCS categories to come up with those scores (it would take too much time, so don't expect them to) you remain ignorant of what's going on and are blinded by the way the judges have tended to use those marks to place skaters.

This is why I don't generally I don't really care about the PCS. I care about the placements. PCS is used the same way the old Presentation Mark was. When Kwan faltered and Slutskaya delivered at Worlds, suddenly she got 6.0s. That the judges saying "I want her in first." That's about all it meant to me. I really don't care if they put Sotnikova ahead by 100 in components points, because my perspective of how those points are used is pretty clear if you look back at how the scoring has worked since its inception. She won with her performances and the only thing that matters is the placement.

I feel the obsession with "points totals" and "world records" has really put a lot of fog on people's glasses. Stop missing the forest through the trees, and deal with the bigger picture. The only thing good about this scoring system is that it allows for benefitting Good Spins and good Difficulty and Stamina. The PCS marks are basically 6.0 Presentation broken up into 5 categories and used the same way.

If it would be okay if she won by 0.5 pts, why does it matter if she won by 5 points. She won, and that's the result that, in the opinion of many others (including experts and past champions, etc.), think is actually fair. It doesn't really matter where the competition was held. Not sure why people complain about the audience. In Canada the Canadians were crazy over Rochette and speaking of Home Town advantage, there could be an argument made that Nagasu could have deserved that bronze but you people would probably say something idiotic like "she was too young, immature, etc...". Being in Canada and (I say this apologetically, cause I don't mean ill will by mentioning it) Rochettes tragedy with her mom did help her in Vancouver.

skatingfan20

Rinkside
Adelina: "I want all the gold that there is out there."

Are these Olympics the start of several victories for Adelina Sotnikova?

This is what she said to reporters today:

"Yes, I am the Olympic champion, but this is not the end of it," Sotnikova said Friday, a day after giving Russia its first Olympic gold in women's figure skating. "I want all the gold that there is out there, everything that exists in figure skating. In all events, in all competitions."

So, she is obviously not planning to retire, probably going to be around for next Olympics and maybe the one after that. Is this Olympic medal the start of a whole bunch of world medals, world championships, etc?

Since these judges have given her the gold, she will, if she is clean, likely be medaling in several competitions as she now has the reputation and prestige of being Olympic champion.

Russia will likely be a strong contender for the next Olympic gold since they have Adelina, Julia and more youngsters coming through the ranks.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Guys PLEASE. There is an Adelina thread and this has already been posted both there and in the thread about the controversy. These duplicate threads are too much for all of us and just keep getting moved.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Her coach, Elena Buyanova, also said that it is possible Adelina will try to make quads.

Well, I'd like to see that, since she gets amazing height on her 3 toe. May she go out all gun blazing - Mao style - I only hope that she stays healthy.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sounds like someone is buying into how great she thinks she is now. Only she won't have Russian judges or the home crowd to prop her up in Japan at Worlds.

ohheyskaters

Rinkside
Goooo Adelina!! Stay healthy and keep working hard to get there. I believe in you!

The target is on her back, but I want to believe she can prove everyone wrong. :) She's a super talented girl.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is far easier to be the hunter than the hunted.

From now on, Adelina will always be the one with something to prove. And when she fails, the hurt will be much worse than it was before.

leafygreens

Final Flight
"Yes, I am the Olympic champion, but this is not the end of it," Sotnikova said Friday, a day after giving Russia its first Olympic gold in women's figure skating. "I want all the gold that there is out there, everything that exists in figure skating. In all events, in all competitions."

I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons and a million balloons
And performing baboons and ...
Give it to me
Rrhh rhhh
Now!

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It's my bar of chocolate
Give it to me
Now!

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear 'em like braids in my hair
And I don't want to share 'em

I want a party with room fulls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream!

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now
Don't care how
I want it now
Don't care how
I want it now

usethis2

Medalist
You mean the 2018 Winter Olympics that will be held in Korea? :laugh:

I know your comment is lighthearted, but it's still difficult to laugh because that can indeed be the reality we live in. I would have her as the gold contender in 2018, but things got soured. Perhaps this scandal may serve a motivation for her. I'm looking forward to seeing her improvements.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
Glad Adelina's not retiring, and I can't wait to see how she develops in the future!

She had decent choreo this season (esp. compared to previous), but with her all-around qualities she can do so much better. Hope she DOESN'T skate to tacky music with lyrics next season (aka Burlesque part 2) :laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
That's the attitude. I wonder if Adelina will get the Olympic Champion boost in her scores from now on or if the judges will be stricter with her because the expectations are higher now.

After reading the quote I almost hear Freddie Mercury singing "I want it all and I want it now!" And I say go for it! Ride that Olympic Euphoria.