Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: Olympic Thread

VirMo

On the Ice
I don't have anything against her. People who are criticizing my post should overcome their inferior complex.

It's just not unheard of that young skaters do lose motivation after winning OGM, and I don't know why people have problem with having this prediction.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
this bitter poster before trashing Adelina was busy wasting his/her time on Julia, once they were satisfied that Julia was a non threat
they proceeded with Adelina, shameful !

the xenophobes and bots have no shame, this is Adelina's thread
if you dont like it then leave

I hope she doesn't retire. What I wish is that Tuktamysheva comes back strong, plus Radionova. That's a lot of great skating to look forward to.

Panini

On the Ice
By this are you talking about the fact that S. Koreans seem to hate Ohno to an immeasurable degree?

To the point that he had to withdraw from the world championships held in Korea because of death threats? Yes. Even if Adelina developed into a OGM favorite in the next quad, her reception in 2018 will be hostile, if not downright threatening.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I would be very surprised to see her at Worlds, given the level of emotion this outcome is already generating.

usethis2

Medalist
With Kim, Asada, and Costner gone, her future is bright. She needs more stamina for her FS outside Russia and needs to refine her moves, and take some dance/ballet class for her positions and musicality. I think her basics are stronger than most other youngsters. (though we will have to see some other youngsters with strong basics - like those Chinese girls who have strong basics but lack artistry)

chloepoco

Medalist
Katarina Witt (German Figure Skater) "Shame Gold Medal, Yuna Kim is a real queen" Bill Plaschke (American Sports Journalist) "Kim didn't win...unbelievable...scandal written all over this...Russian Sotnikova wins, fans going crazy, Kim disappears, wrong, wrong" Alex Goldberger (Olympics Researcher at NBC) "Adelina Sotnikova was excellent tonight, but Yuna Kim was robbed"Terra Findlay (Canadian ice dancer) "I'm speechless. Yuna Kim, you are a queen"NBC Olympics (Official Twitter) "Yuna Kim wins Silver. 17 year old Sotnikova wins Gold, and Kostner wins bronze. Do you agree with the results?"ESPN Official Website News Article titled "Home Cooking", "Home-Ice Advantage" CBC Commentary: "That's a shock...Did you see that coming" (of Sotnikova winning) "Well I think I saw a medal coming, I'm just not sure we thought it was going to be that one" "As caught up in the moment as I was... I'm still stuck on quality of skating that Yuna Kim has, and the moments where you see jarring images during Sotnikova that she's not ready yet ...The judges have their job and I really look forward to looking at it again so I can see it with fresh eyes but yes I am sitting here a little stunned"New York Times: "Comparing the Jumps of Sotnikova and Yu-na" included rating of Sotnikova's Triple Flip and Double axel as "Poor" in the free program and Yu-na's ratings consisted of Good only. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------As you can probably tell, the world was keeping an eye on Yuna Kim who has set a World Record for the history of Women's Figure Skating, to defend her gold medalist title this Sochi Olympic 2014. The free skating event took place this morning and nobody denies the fact the Sotnikova did present to her potential. She did an amazing job and showed amazing performance. The one mistake she made was the stumbling after one of her jumps which was - although small - quite visible even to the public who do not know professional knowledge of figure skating. Nevertheless, she achieved her best score of 149.95 which was 0.11 away from Yu-na Kim's world record of 150.06 at the Vancouver Olympics. This comparison illustrates the home advantage already although I do admit that rules have changed since then but we are talking of quality of programme here. Next up was Yuna Kim, she skated and her performance can be shown through what the CBC commenters said "this woman has no equal". She did show tiny unstable landing in one of her jumps, but relative to the stumble shown by Sotnikova, it was not as visible and she carried on with superb acting performance. "If you were to write a textbook, that would be how to do it", "Nobody compares to the flow she takes as she jumps and on the landings, nobody" (CBC)

Why are you posting this in a CHEER thread? Agree or disagree with the results, it really is disgusting how people are reacting--and we thought the Mirai/Ashley aftermath was bad!

vegarin

On the Ice
Man, this makes me think fondly of Yuna Mao Rivalry and actually miss it. Oh, hindsight. I can't believe their era is over.

I hope Mao rocks the Worlds. I'm not sure if Caro is going, but if she is, good luck to both of them!

usethis2

Medalist
I don't have anything against her. People who are criticizing my post should overcome their inferior complex.

It's just not unheard of that young skaters do lose motivation after winning OGM, and I don't know why people have problem with having this prediction.

Oh, I forgot about that.. You're right about it. I do believe she has all the basics to become a great, but whether she can motivate herself is a different question after being gifted gold in Olympics.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I hope she doesn't retire. What I wish is that Tuktamysheva comes back strong, plus Radionova. That's a lot of great skating to look forward to.

I agree. Honestly, I'm glad Yulia didn't win/do very well so she will stick around too. Both Adelina and Yulia have a lot of talent and can continue to build off of it and increase artistry. If both of them stay til 2018 (where they will be 19 and 21) I can see them doing really fantastic things.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
the bots are shameful and will stop at no excuse sadly
swallow the bitter pill and get over it

Panini

On the Ice
I don't know. Mao did an eight-triple program which included a triple-axel and both toe loop and loop as the second jump, and the tech controller anulled that historical skate by making it out that she under-rotated two of her triples, which she did not, so I think the judges who judge according to who knows what criteria make the sports and possibly not the athletes.

The next jump probably won't be about hard jumps. It will continue to be about judges. It is and will continue to be full of youthfulness, athleticism and alot of hard work... on the part of the athletes that is, not the judges.

On replay, it looked pretty clear that Mao UR-ed the double axel in combo. The UR call wasn't on the 3T.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
To the point that he had to withdraw from the world championships held in Korea because of death threats? Yes. Even if Adelina developed into a OGM favorite in the next quad, her reception in 2018 will be hostile, if not downright threatening.

Sotnikova won Junior Worlds in Goyang, Korea

One thing for sure, we will not see Yuna Kim crying and whining and making excuses. Kim skated two great programs, as did Carolina Kostner.

So did Adelina. Congratulations. She skated her heart out.