Exhibitions? | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Exhibitions?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks demarinis5 for the link to the gala, between the streaming yesterday and NBC's late night coverage (which ran over 10 mins), now I've seen most of the performances.

I really liked Yulia's program, but I want to see her connect to the music more. Watching her skate, she could've been skating to her SP or LP, IMO, there was no difference. If she can survive puberty, fix the flaws in her jumps and connect to her music more - she will be unstoppable.

Watching D/W, it seemed like they were trying to do a V/M style program. I thought they did well, but I still prefer V/M for romance on ice.

dardar1126

On the Ice

THANK YOU! :yay: I enjoyed Dai very much...what a showman! :) And I rewatched V&M and D&W...loved both teams so much! :love:

Is there a link to the performances from the start of the gala up to the one by Daisuke? :confused: I can't quite figure out that Russian website. I'd still like to see Denis Ten, I&K (dance) and S&K (pairs).

EDIT: I think I found it!

http://debilizator.tv/pervyi_kanal/2014-02-22/20:30/big/

Is the female announcer Irina Slutskaya?? :think:

Machida is so cute rocking out to QUEEN...and he did a lot of tough jumps..what ENERGY!

I&K skated a lovely program; she looks a lot like Mila Kunis.

EDIT2:

This link contains the entire gala (they break away periodically to show other sports highlights; you can fast forward/skip ahead to resume viewing the gala).

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
regarding Sotnikova's gala program:
I can't say that I absolutely loved it ... but in general I think it's cool :cool: that skaters sometimes take advantage of the option of incorporating props in exhibitions.
And I felt that Sotnikova used hers creatively and effectively for most of the time that they were in her hands. A shame that they were not completely trouble-free.
I wonder whether the audience in Russia -- where rhythmic gymnastics is very popular, I believe? -- appreciated the concept of her program much more than the audience outside of Russia.

Some parts of Sotnikova's exhibition was interesting, to me it's a big gamble to do something different, was it my favorite- no, but I give her credit for doing something different.

My favorite was:
Mao - nice to see a light-hearted skate from her- she seems very intense in competitions and this was 1 of the first time's I've seen her skate an exhibition in awhile
P/T :cry: a beautiful skate
Julia - it was nice to see her go out do jumps, land them and end the week on a high-note with a smile

Manitou

Medalist
Any Russian speaker here? What is the title of the song Elena and Nikita were dancing to at the Gala? Beautiful!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well, they got me... last night I got digusted with seeing only two skaters and then back to whatever, I recorded the rest of the primetime, went to bed and watched it tonight. I just saw the announcement that they would show more skaters during the latenight.
Oh well. The Nancy/Tanya thing at least seems to have gotten its own time slot so I don't mind that kind of fluff. The fluff that kept me from seeing more team action, I mind. It would be interesting to see another network do the Olympics...
Maybe I can find the gala performances I want to on youtube....

I'm glad that NBC showed Pang/Tong because: (1) their program was beautiful and (2) they were the only Chinese skaters shown by NBC (and the only Chinese in the entire gala, IIRC).
So I understand why NBC chose them over the silver pair medalists from Russia (already well represented in NBC's gala coverage).
OTOH, Savchenko/Szolkowy were the only Germans in the entire gala, so they would have been an equally good choice.

I agree 100% that programming the Olympics is tough. Impossible to keep everyone happy.

To play devil's advocate:

I did not watch the entire story about the adopted U.S. disabled athlete returning to Russia -- but my hunch is that one of its major purposes was to generate interest for the Sochi Paralympics coming up in a few weeks. And how often do Paralympians get their moment in the sun? I would not begrudge them a nice chunk of prime time once every two years (during the corresponding Olympics right before, I mean).

Similarly, how often does biathlon ever get shown on American television? Are the Olympics its one little moment in the sun every four years, as I would assume? Of course, we at GS would love to see more televised skating, but it is not nearly as rare as televised biathlon, I would imagine. And totally off the top of my head, I would guess that biathlon is as "old" an event as figure skating??

I am a fellow member of the rabbit-ears crowd, and I do not feel "cheated." That is not to say that I would not have enjoyed more gala coverage.​

Before the Closing Ceremony tonight, NBC is showing the hour-long documentary "Nancy and Tonya."

So that slot was not available for the Paralympian story.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Is it me or did Sotnikova's jump landings look rather deep?
I love Mao....it would be so fun to sit down and have coffee or a beer with her...I have seen her live 3 or four times and she is even better when you are sitting in the seats than on TV....(she is also fun to watch from the second story of the Covent Gardens in London as she shops! LOL!)
Some parts of Sotnikova's exhibition was interesting, to me it's a big gamble to do something different, was it my favorite- no, but I give her credit for doing something different.

My favorite was:
Mao - nice to see a light-hearted skate from her- she seems very intense in competitions and this was 1 of the first time's I've seen her skate an exhibition in awhile
P/T :cry: a beautiful skate
Julia - it was nice to see her go out do jumps, land them and end the week on a high-note with a smile

Well, they got me... last night I got digusted with seeing only two skaters and then back to whatever, I recorded the rest of the primetime, went to bed and watched it tonight. I just saw the announcement that they would show more skaters during the latenight.

Oh well. The Nancy/Tanya thing at least seems to have gotten its own time slot so I don't mind that kind of fluff. The fluff that kept me from seeing more team action, I mind. It would be interesting to see another network do the Olympics…

As I recall, when ABC had the Olympics (1964 to 1988) they pretty much showed one event all the way through. When that was over they showed another.

NBC knows that we don't want to see sports, we want to see Bob Costas. Five minutes of figure skating, ten minutes of Bob. Then five minutes of ski jumping and ten minutes of Bob.

Barb

Record Breaker
I love Mao....it would be so fun to sit down and have coffee or a beer with her...I have seen her live 3 or four times and she is even better when you are sitting in the seats than on TV....(she is also fun to watch from the second story of the Covent Gardens in London as she shops! LOL!)
:laugh: :popcorn:

chloepoco

Medalist

I envy you that you had the opportunity to see her live several times! And I envy you even more that you got to go to the Covent Gardens--that's on my bucket list after my sister went there and came back raving about it! :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Arrrrrgggghhh! No more BOB! I'll talk....I'll talk...please...no more torture......oh well...tomarrow night I can watch the Downton Abby final I am recording now....
As I recall, when ABC had the Olympics (1964 to 1988) they pretty much showed one event all the way through. When that was over they showed another.

NBC knows that we don't want to see sports, we want to see Bob Costas. Five minutes of figure skating, ten minutes of Bob. Then five minutes of ski jumping and ten minutes of Bob.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have done two worlds and some Four conts and SkateAmericas....somehow seeing these great skaters like Mao in person is a different experience...very moving....
The Covent Market is absolutely something to see....lots of flowers and fresh food and restaurants....the arena was easy in and easy out so I would duck over there often for food or an escape from the crowds...great place....
I envy you that you had the opportunity to see her live several times! And I envy you even more that you got to go to the Covent Gardens--that's on my bucket list after my sister went there and came back raving about it! :)

chloepoco

Medalist
I have done two worlds and some Four conts and SkateAmericas....somehow seeing these great skaters like Mao in person is a different experience...very moving....
The Covent Market is absolutely something to see....lots of flowers and fresh food and restaurants....the arena was easy in and easy out so I would duck over there often for food or an escape from the crowds...great place....

Lucky, lucky you!! Speaking of restaurants--I love the Chalet Restaurant in Spokane-good 'ol home cooking meals!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched more of the Russian feed, and it was great to see Elena Radionova. She's such a little ham and loves to perform. Of the "Baby Russians," she's my favorite.