Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Petition to investigate judging gets record signings, makes Wall Street Journal headline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
I think there's home crowd scoring yes. Look at Asada at the GPF. I think that as long as Sotnikova was Russian, she was going to get huge scores, so I'm not sure how much it would change the overall results if Kim also got some inflation. Kim's scores are extremely high already how much more to inflate? So I think Russian Kim, Russian Kostner, Russian Sot, all would have inflated marks. The favored one doesn't always win at home-see Sarah Hughes.

For Sotnikova to have lost due to PCS, she would have had to have had the lowest PCS in the final group. Lower than Yu-lia's lower than Golds. In no way was this fair. Sotnikova won this on the technical mark. She "jumped" her way to that title.

No, she should have been scored much lower in PCS in both the SP and LP. She achieved personal bests in those segments when her programs shouldn't have stood up as well. Sotnikova may have won the TES (albeit by not much given her flutz and stumble) but she was gifted in PCS. Please explain how her PCS should be equal to Yuna and above Mao and Carolina.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Maybe the Koreans could mint Yuna a platinum medal like Russia did with Plushenko. That victory was way more controversial than this one. I'm pretty sure Quad controversy is a much more pertinent issue than this PCS BS the Yuna fans are harping about.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Maybe the Koreans could mint Yuna a platinum medal like Russia did with Plushenko. That victory was way more controversial than this one. I'm pretty sure Quad controversy is a much more pertinent issue than this PCS BS the Yuna fans are harping about.

This is the clearest example yet of how "this PCS BS," as you call it, can be manipulated and affect scores. COP has effectively addressed the problem of how to score technique. You can argue with the findings of the tech panel, but at least people know who they are and how they score. This whole Olympics--in every skating discipline--just illustrates how badly the IJS needs to rethink how to score performance. PCS and GOE are far from some little BS criteria.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Kim herself was gracious enough to accept that she had beaten by a better skater on the night. However, Yuna fans do deserve a gold medal of their very own for one of worst and most bitter displays of whinging in sporting history. I think the IOC should mint the medal especially for them - I suggest that they make the medal in the form of sour grapes - how very apt. I think the IOC should then have the author of the petition flown in for the closing ceremony especially, where they can accept the gold medal on behalf of all Yuna fans around the World - the Gold medal for the worst display of sour grapes of the 2014 games

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Kim herself was gracious enough to accept that she had beaten by a better skater on the night. However, Yuna fans do deserve a gold medal of their very own for one of worst and most bitter displays of whinging in sporting history. I think the IOC should mint the medal especially for them - I suggest that they make the medal in the form of sour grapes - how very apt. I think the IOC should then have the author of the petition flown in for the closing ceremony especially, where they can accept the gold medal on behalf of all Yuna fans around the World - the Gold medal for the worst display of sour grapes of the 2014 games

I am bitter with Mao's free skate scoring 8 points lower than Adelina. You should feel bitter too. This is not right.

UnChosen

On the Ice

Mao is going to the Worlds...

If nothing else at least figure skating fans are showing their distrust and hopefully the judges won't try to carry over the Olympics score into Worlds (often happens) and cheat Mao or other skaters of a World medal.

jehan215

On the Ice
I am bitter with Mao's free skate scoring 8 points lower than Adelina. You should feel bitter too. This is not right.

Yes, I absolutely loved Mao's free skate too! So emotional… will miss her a lot!

The only problem I have is the score differences… Mao got 8pts lower than Adelina. Yuna got 5pts lower than Adelina. Something is not right. :confused:

Mao88

Record Breaker

Unlike Yuna fans - I am not obsessed. Mao lost - so what. The problem with Yuna fans is their total obsession with one individual - they call her a 'Queen'. They regard her almost as a goddess, with godlike qualities - perfection, unbeatability, infallibility. That is why they just cannot stomach the fact that she lost fair and square - because it's absolutely shattered their image of her as perfect and unbeatable. And given their obsession - its devastating for them. But ultimately, she is, like the rest of us, a human being - not perfect, fallible, beatable. She accepts that, and accepted defeat with good grace. Her obsessed fans obviously have not. They need to follow Kim's excellent example, get over it, and move on.

Alvoff

Spectator
Yes, I absolutely loved Mao's free skate too! So emotional… will miss her a lot!

The only problem I have is the score differences… Mao got 8pts lower than Adelina. Yuna got 5pts lower than Adelina. Something is not right. :confused:

May be you should read the protocols and try to understand the difference in the score before saying it is not right? I love that - let;s give the medal by signing a petition or by vote of fans, who has the most, then this athlete wins...

bara1968

On the Ice
If you can live with this kind of judging, so be it.

I cannot live with that, so I will do whatever I can do, even if it cannot make any difference.

Sot did not win only by wrongful PCS. (of course her PCS should have been lower in both SP and LP).

Her TES was not judged correctly either. (As many people including myself pointed out in the other thread. No edge call, no UR call, lv 4 stsq only to the Russians, extremely inflated GOE, automatic +3 GOE from a judge etc.)

Tech panel was Russian in Russian soil. Now that part is already crazy.

I do not want to see this happening ever again.

I signed the petition. My friends in UK signed the petition too. I hope that this small act can make strong Feds to worry about possible backlash, at least little bit, before they go way out of line like this time.

What a shame.

vegarin

On the Ice
Unlike Yuna fans - I am not obsessed. Mao lost - so what. The problem with Yuna fans is their total obsession with one individual - they call her a 'Queen'. They regard her almost as a goddess, with godlike qualities - perfection, unbeatability, infallibility. That is why they just cannot stomach the fact that she lost fair and square - because it's absolutely shattered their image of her as perfect and unbeatable. And given their obsession - its devastating for them. But ultimately, she is, like the rest of us, a human being - not perfect, fallible, beatable. She accepts that, and accepted defeat with good grace. Her obsessed fans obviously have not. They need to follow Kim's excellent example, get over it, and move on.

Wow, thanks for the sweeping generalization and a dose of psychoanalysis there. I'll think on it and see if I qualify as this Yuna fan category.

Minds you, as far as sour grapes go, upset fans are pretty harmless. I think it pales in comparison to an actual head of a state creating a "platinum medal" to award a skater who won the silver and publicly declaring him to be better than the gold-earning skater, but hey, ymmv.

Mao88

Record Breaker
This thread needs to be transferred to conspiracy thread along with all the other bellyaching, whinging and moaning Yuna fan threads. These people (the same old usual suspects - many using multiple pseuds) should confine there whinging to the one thread and should not be swamping The Edge section with multiple threads on the same theme. Sanctions required if they persist

verysmuchso

On the Ice
This thread needs to be transferred to conspiracy thread along with all the other bellyaching, whinging and moaning Yuna fan threads. These people (the same old usual suspects - many using multiple pseuds) should confine there whinging to the one thread and should not be swamping The Edge section with multiple threads on the same theme. Sanctions required if they persist

Setting aside the fact that this poster needs to turn elsewhere with her sour grapes, this petition pleasantly surprised me; ***! 2 million people and counting actually care about figure skating! Way to go!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Setting aside the fact that this poster needs to turn elsewhere with her sour grapes, this petition pleasantly surprised me; ***! 2 million people and counting actually care about figure skating! Way to go!

92% from Korea ;)
and counting more

phaeljones

On the Ice
Yes they were on the list of judges.

She has been a judge for 20 some years...Figure skating is such a small sport tha guess what judges are often coaches, federation officials etc. The Russian judge was always going to be supporting Adelina. The Korean judge Kim. That's the sport. Nobody's found fault with her judging in terms of corruption.

Oh my.

Interesting that you are defending these judges as being fair on the basis that they were only exercising nationalistic favoritism and that it is part of the sport. Nice to know.

It may surprise you, but if there is ever an argument for condemning the sport as condoning biased judging and getting it thrown from the Olympics, the statement in your post makes it. "That's the sport."??????? The Russian judge was always going to be supporting Adelina? The Korean judge Kim? That's the sport?????

No, that is not the sport. Judging has to be impartial or it is not a sport.

I disagree with your definition of corruption. Not sure if it is a cultural difference, but definitely a moral one. Keep posting. Keep digging the hole deeper.

yuki90

On the Ice
About 20 minutes ago, Korea Olympic Committee anounced they will send a protest letter to IOC.
They said they will protest strongly and are now preparing for protest letter.

Robeye

Final Flight
92% from Korea ;)
and counting more
If, when the petition signing period closes, hundreds of thousands of non-Koreans actually cared enough to provide information on themselves and sign, then this is a pretty huge number. Do you realize what it takes to get that many people committed to make any effort, on any issue, including political questions of far greater import than figure skating, and this in favor of someone not of one's own nationality?

Even if they eliminated every single Korean signatory from that petition, I'm fairly certain it would still be one of the most prominent petitions that change.org has ever had.

I don't know whether the petition will have any practical effect, but as an expression of international dissatisfaction with the way the human elements of judging are handled (as distinct from the scoring system), it is pretty persuasive, IMO.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
That's insane.

Kevin VDP said in his commentating (I think during ice dance) that if figure skating was involved in another judging scandal, the IOC would kick it out of the Olympics. I really doubt that is what figure skating fans hope to achieve with this.

That's what I am saying.

Fortunately, most of these people who signed this petition were YuNa bots and mainly from the nation of hers. That makes sense.:p

Maybe YuNa bots could learn a thing or two from Devoted Plushenko fans - make YuNa a platinum medal or something in order to honor her queen's status.;)

bebevia

On the Ice
That's insane.

Kevin VDP said in his commentating (I think during ice dance) that if figure skating was involved in another judging scandal, the IOC would kick it out of the Olympics. I really doubt that is what figure skating fans hope to achieve with this.
We have to digress very far in order to discuss that. Judging scandals are a common issue in many major sports. Speed skatings, martial arts, wrestlings, on and on. That "scandal" refers to misconducts, not fan response.

Also, I'm seeing some tiresome posts. The world doesn't go like YunaGold=Yuna fan vs. YunaSilver=Fairness.

Status
Not open for further replies.