Perhaps retiring for MK? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Perhaps retiring for MK?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think Michelle should follow her heart and do what she really wants and what will make her happiest.

Of course personally, I'd love to see her stay eligible, improve her skating, and go for the gold in Torino. I would love that. But honestly, I don't know if her heart is in it or if the motivation is there. It didn't seem to be at Worlds. Yes, she skated okay, but it was definitely her weakest Worlds in years. And I've read that Rafael is having problems getting her to practice hard, the way she needs to in order to be competitive. That worries me.

Maybe she doesn't want to spend the next two years up at Lake Arrowhead, grinding out triple-triple combinations. Or maybe she does! Either way, it's her choice and I think she should do what's right for her.

It would be a big boon to professional skating if she turned pro now--it might help save pro skating, in fact--so whatever she decides, I will be happy. :)

curtadams

Spectator
gezando said:
So if Michelle retires, assuming Cohen, Kirk and Corwin medal at national next year. How confident are you about lhese 2 to place well enough with a combine total that is worthy to generate 3 slots for worlds 2006?

If Kwan was not at worlds 2004 Cohen and Kirk together has a combine total of 2 + 18 = 20. Is that good enough to send 3 skaters to worlds in 2005?

Will someone please look up the rules and let us know?

That would have been insufficient. The top 2 placements must total 13 or less. Of course, Corwin would have been there if Kwan hadn't. She's
capable of finishing 11 or better at worlds but she's not a consistent skater
and probably would not have. So, if Kwan were out, we'd probably have
lost a spot. In general, the US has only 2 consistently top-tier ladies'
skaters at present and so if Kwan retired it would be a crapshoot each
competition whether we got 2 or 3 for the next.

GrGranny, I think that Michelle has a long-term contract with Tom Collins to do Champions on Ice for a few more years yet. At one time I wondered if she might get into the management or even the ownership end of that show. The COI public relations division shares an office with Michelle's agent, Shep Goldberg, here in Detroit.

Doggygirl, yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Michelle :love: will think of something totally new and amazing! I can't wait to see what it will be!

Eyria, "Maybe she doesn't want to spend the next two years up at Lake Arrowhead, grinding out triple-triple combinations." ITA. That's the whole thing in a nutshell.

Mathman

egskater0003

Rinkside
michelle

Just seeing the anger in her LP, I don't think she's going to retire. I just don't think MK's the type of person to just let this go without a fight to the end. From what I can recall, she usually is wishy washy about making a firm statement on whether to continue or not, but all she has to do is get a taste of competition in the fall and she'll be back in the game. That's my take, this is NOT the end of the Michelle, not yet.:)

skatepixie

On the Ice
soogar said:
Considering all this retirement talk was somewhat started by Richard Callaghan (sp?), I think that the only skater who needs to pack it up is Jenny Kirk (haviing finished 18th) and she has an excuse for everything. Seriously, it's her costume, she feels sick blah, blah. I think the girl needs to eat b/c she looks really anorexic (esp compared to how healthy she looked when coached by Evy and Mary Scotvold).

Um...I dont think she looks bad at all...

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/gallery/02sa/4.html
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/gallery/02sa/6.html

And I dont think that you can call it an "excuse" when the skater in question really was ill...just ask anyone who was in the locker room...

Jenny has had a lot of bad things happen....give her a break...

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Skatepixie - looks like those pictures of Jenny, while lovely, are from Skate America in 2002 (based on the URL). I'm not positive, but that's the way it looks.

soogar

Record Breaker
There's a picture of her in this month's issue of Blades on Ice at Nats and her arms and legs are so painfully thin and her stomach and clavicle are concave. She looks horrible. Even at Worlds (and cameras add 10 pounds) , she was very trim and gaunt looking.

When she skated with Evy and Mary Scotvold, her body was healthy looking. Now she is too thin.

She's quite thin in your pictures as well. I know people are conditioned by the media to accept thinner bodies but look at Jenny compared to Sasha and MK and supposedly they are all the same height, although I keep thinking Jenny is taller than 5'1. Sasha and MK have nice muscular bodies whereas Jenny is just a stick.

I watched Jenny sitting with her sister watching the dance finals. Jenny looked rather glum and that was before the LP. If she can snap out of it, I'm ok with it but with MK and SC still in the running, we have to thing of AP, and now Meisner and Taylor as well as my beloved, Bebe.

Joe

Jhar55

Medalist
I agree no one should retire until they feel they have given all that they can. Everyone has an off night and if retiring age is early 20's then I am way over due and should go sign up for my SS.

LarasB

Rinkside
Michelle will retire when she wants to do so. It's her choice, and as long as she continues to skate elligibly, I'm 100% behind her.