ABC fluff: Irina | Golden Skate

ABC fluff: Irina

soogar

Record Breaker
Irina's doctor is saying that stress is causing her health problems. I think she might need a US doctor.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I have vasculitis (and have several American doctors). Stress both emotional and physical can trigger it as well as other autoimmune disorders.

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
I enjoyed the fluff piece and thought it was very touching! I liked how she said she and her mom were 'one person in two bodies'! Sweet.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
penneysfrom heaven ITA . It brought tears to my eyes. I've never been a big Irina fan but was very impressed with her effort at these Worlds. It is amazing how far she has come. I am very happy for her that she is again able to be doing something that she loves.

soogar

Record Breaker
At least Dick was kind to Irina during her free skate. She did get a few good triples off.
To the person who has vasculitis: is this something that she can beat or will she always be on medicine? Can she ever skate the way she used to again?

BTW I loved both of Irina's costumes and she looked like a real cutie out there.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Sooger,

I know this sounds vague but it dependson many things. The type of vasculitis (IIRC Irina's was triggered by her cardiac problems while mine was triggered by repeated DVT's), and how her body responds to treatment. It can be controlled. To have gone from weeks of hospitalization to placing in the top ten at Worlds is pretty remarkable. Being a world class athlete in good physical condition was a big plus for her. Prednisone itself puts your body throufgh lots of changes. You may have noticed that Irina has developed what is called a "moon face"...swelling around the jaw area. She also mentioned having swelling in her hands. This is typical with steroid treatment.

Here is a link to Johns Hopkins Vasculitis site. It is the most complete site I have found but is still being updated in some areas.

http://vasculitis.med.jhu.edu/

LadyM76

Rinkside
Irina

It was very nice ot see Irina skate. I haven't always enjoyed her skating, but I absolutely love her personality. The segment about her made me tear up. I hope she continues to heal, and that things with her mother will get better.
LadyM76

wvgal57

On the Ice
Irina has Churg-Strauss Syndrome. Very rare and very difficult to treat. She is facing an uphill battle and I agree she looked pretty darn good out there. She landed as many jumps as many of the ladies who've been training all season - 4 triples in the freeskate to some others 5!! She was able to start training mid January with 15 minutes at a time. Don't know what the future holds but I think Irina just wanted to finally be able to soak up the Worlds experiences for a change.

skatepixie

On the Ice
I had a form of Vasculitus when I was 5. Its not one of thoses listed there, and I dont know how to spell it...its really long. I got over it in about 5-6 days, but I was weak for naerly a year following, even though I didnt have the illness anymore, because of all the weight I lost (I think I went from like 45 to 35 lbs...which is a lot when you are that small...trust me).

Im very proud of Ira for doing so well. I hope she can make a full recovery.

Edit: I found a site that explain the kind I had...
http://familydoctor.org/312.xml
mine was from an alergic reaction to a med...

Last edited:

gellio

Rinkside
Piel said:
penneysfrom heaven ITA . It brought tears to my eyes. I've never been a big Irina fan but was very impressed with her effort at these Worlds. It is amazing how far she has come. I am very happy for her that she is again able to be doing something that she loves.

that is why i love her - her personality made me love her skating. i loved at 2002 Euros when Dick interviewed her and said, "many years ago, I asked you if I could pinch your cheeks (she gave him this gazing growl stare) and you said 'all the old men like to pinch my cheeks'." She said, "no, i never say this....i say all men like to pinch my cheeks, not all old men." and she giggled.

needless to say, he said the same thing after that fluff piece. he bugs!