Nordics in Uppsala, Sweden Feb 27 - March 2 | Golden Skate

Nordics in Uppsala, Sweden Feb 27 - March 2

The lower levels are open to Nordic countries only but the Senior Men and Ladies events are open to all ISU members making that event eligible for ranking points.

Carmen95

Rinkside
Anybody watching the event here? Some recap to the Olympics: the swedish federation kind of bit in its own flesh by sending Viktoria instead of Joshi... something seems to be off for Viktoria, her SP at the Oly´s was a disaster, very sad for her and here she is at least landing her jumps more or less, but she looked very insecure, lost the balance within one spin...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I have watched seniors and some juniors so far. Lots of stumbles, popped jumps and falls. A reminder how hard this sport is. Especiallly for skaters having 'normal' lifes and average coaches. How can other European girls ever compete with the Russian wonderkids and North Americans/Asians? Last world's the only European top ten lady was Kostner.

I like Efimenko a lot. Wonder if she is competing for a spot at senior world's. I saw she is not on the junior ladies' team.

About Viktoria's problems, I think it's nerves. I too wish Sweden had sent Joshi to Olympics. She would have done better and got a good experience leading up to 2018 olympics. I really hope Joshi beats Viktoria fair & square at Nordics and gets the world's spot.

Men senior SP
1 Alexander Majorov 73.68 (doubled his quad)
2 Valter Virtanen 60.00
3 Viktor Zubik 56.95
4 Justus Strid 56.86
5 Julian Lagus 55.13
6 Keiran Araza 54.05 (beating his personal best with 18 points... watch out Justus...)

Ladies senior SP
1 Joshi Helgesson 59.14
2 Juulia Turkkila 53.44
3 Liubov Efimenko 53.42
4 Viktoria Helgesson 53.16
5 Isabelle Olsson 49.16
6 Gerli Liinamäe 47.46

Npmonice

Rinkside
I watched both the senior ladies and men :). I'm rooting for Isabele Olsson (not necessarily to win but to skate well)
IMO her PCS should have been a little higher :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just saw Joshi is already chosen for world's, with Viktoria as first substitute and Isabelle as a second. Majorov is of course the man to go.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched both the senior ladies and men :). I'm rooting for Isabele Olsson (not necessarily to win but to skate well)
:agree: best to remember the skate is a reward in itself! Ill keep my eye out for Isabelle..thx:)

Carmen95

Rinkside
IMO her PCS should have been a little higher :)

Yes, I am also rooting for Isabelle Olsson as I love her FS, not only because of the Nightwish music ;)

Tingeling

Rinkside
I agree about Viktoria not being in a good mental state. She faced all these weird problems in the pre-season (double surgeries because of an infection and then she got bronchitis blah blah) and it seemed to stress her out completely, whereas Joshi basically had no pressure on her, being the underdog and coming back from a serious injury. I also suspect that Viktoria herself felt that she got the Olympics spot based on old merits and that the selection wasn't entirely fair. She must've felt a lot of pressure to prove herself at Euros, and when she underperformed once again, it crushed her last bit of confidence.

Tingeling

Rinkside
The Swedish junior ladies are quite terrible and/or appear to be regressing. The only bright spot is bronze medalist Matilda Algotsson who made great strides this season. She was born in 1998 and will represent Sweden at Jr Worlds.

It's noteworthy that both Swedish junior champions (Algotsson and Ilya Solomin) as well as novice ladies runner-up Anastasia Schneider have the same coach. Schneider placed 3rd here at Nordics but had the highest PCS in the FS. The other novice skaters from this club are nice to watch as well (though I'm not qualified to judge jumping technique etc). So whatever they're doing, they should keep doing it. :biggrin:

Violetti

On the Ice
I like Efimenko a lot. Wonder if she is competing for a spot at senior world's. I saw she is not on the junior ladies' team.

She is not age eligible for world's yet. Jenni Saarinen who won the junior ladies in Nordics was chosen for junior worlds as she has the season's best score for juniors in Finland. Efimenko chose to compete at seniors in Finnish Nationals 2014 and was second after Juulia Turkkila.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^
OK, thanks. Maybe she wants a head start next season, being used to competing with seniors.

Carmen95

Rinkside
Sorry, but I need to gossip a little bit about Juulia Turkkila: how can a young girl choose this music? And how the hell told her a neon green dress would be the best to wear to this music?!?!?! This thought was in my head since Finlandia Trophy (I think it was Finlandia...)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Congratulations to

1 Alexander Majorov 212.98 - 2 Justus Strid 173.31 - 3 Valter Virtanen 169.91

1 Joshi Helgesson 172.77 - 2 Viktoria Helgesson164.41 - 3 Liubov Efimenko 148.23

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Phew, Ziggy, no need for you to become a criminal :)

Joshi named for WC.

…Joshi came back strong after an injury which kept her off ice for most of the autumn… 9th at Europeans in Budapest… her third top ten placement at Euros shows consistency… this is her second world's… at her first in 2011, she was in 15th place

First substitute Vikoria, second Isabelle

GO Joshi! Your time to shine.

Sara

On the Ice
I've wondered the same.. I don't like the music and the choreo is a bit strange but I think her dress is fine! The problem Juulia has is her jumps. She hasn't improved much during the past 3 years and it's not about her coach (Juulia has several younger training mates who have learned almost all triples). Juulia is already 19 so I'm not too optimistic about her learning new jumps... I was really impressed by the younger Finns at the Nordics. Both Saarinen and Efimenko did very well. There was also a young Swedish skater Anita Östlund (born 2001) who did a nice 3T+3T and 3Lo! I'm glad Sweden is sending Joshi to Worlds. I expect to see Viktoria continue her career at least for one more season, since the Euros will be held in Sweden next year.

Sorry, but I need to gossip a little bit about Juulia Turkkila: how can a young girl choose this music? And how the hell told her a neon green dress would be the best to wear to this music?!?!?! This thought was in my head since Finlandia Trophy (I think it was Finlandia...)