Did Yuna Kim Really Try? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Did Yuna Kim Really Try?

ahy

Final Flight
I agree. No motivation - stay home or prepare a program that worth gold - do 7 triples or come with something new. No one gonna give you gold for skating pretty.
Why come and steal a medal from other skater who give their lives for a medal? The silver should of belonged to Kostner and Bronze should of been Gracie Gold's. Kim's unmovitation affected not only herself, but others too. So selfish.

I praised yuna...I really like her...She definitely tried, she came and said that she wanted to skate her best to her fans... imagine you skating, jumping with a broken foot - -

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought she looked like she was kind of over this whole sport and the media and fanatics and all. She was by far the most elegant lady in on the ice. I am so glad to have seen her skate again but honestly what is burnt into my brain the most is her class. The Russian crowd was clearly cheering for Adelina's Gold and she stood up with dignity and respect and waved to them as if they were her best friends. I love that she is someone who shows class and respect to the people who might not even be giving it to her. She is someone to learn from, on the ice and off. I will always remember that skate. Not for the merit of the medal but for the skate and the beauty it brought. Feel the same way about Mao too but thats a different thread. :slink:

ahy

Final Flight
I thought she looked like she was kind of over this whole sport and the media and fanatics and all. She was by far the most elegant lady in on the ice. I am so glad to have seen her skate again but honestly what is burnt into my brain the most is her class. The Russian crowd was clearly cheering for Adelina's Gold and she stood up with dignity and respect and waved to them as if they were her best friends. I love that she is someone who shows class and respect to the people who might not even be giving it to her. She is someone to learn from, on the ice and off. I will always remember that skate. Not for the merit of the medal but for the skate and the beauty it brought. Feel the same way about Mao too but thats a different thread. :slink:

ita :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

What a classy statement. I totally agree. Yuna is a class act, for sure.

wootie

Match Penalty

Absolutely. Yu-na really showed herself to be someone of great character. Her post-medal ceremony interviews were extremely gracious as well. To be as kind and gracious as she was when the Russian crowd was obviously so against her...it certainly takes someone with a certain level of class and tact.

bekalc

Record Breaker
IF Kim had done a 3loop, she could have also added in her double axel/3toe. Which would have increased her base value even more. In terms of Kostner if she had done a 3/3 she could have added on a double axel which would have increased her base value.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Hadn't read all the discussion but could someone explain how Russian skaters were inflated by not having any Russian judge on the board?

SOCHI, Russia — One of the nine judges who picked a young Russian skater over two more refined competitors for the Olympic gold medal Thursday night was suspended for a year for trying to fix an event at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

And another is the wife of the former president and current general director of the Russian figure skating federation. Another Olympics, another huge skating controversy involving the countries of the former Soviet Union."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-skating-women-yuna-kim-gracie-gold/5643143/

qwertyskates

Medalist
SOCHI, Russia — One of the nine judges who picked a young Russian skater over two more refined competitors for the Olympic gold medal Thursday night was suspended for a year for trying to fix an event at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

And another is the wife of the former president and current general director of the Russian figure skating federation. Another Olympics, another huge skating controversy involving the countries of the former Soviet Union."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-skating-women-yuna-kim-gracie-gold/5643143/

What about the SP judges? Sotnikova scored close to Kim even though Kim had a higher BV, was that corrupt judges too?

Ven

Match Penalty
IF Kim had done a 3loop, she could have also added in her double axel/3toe. Which would have increased her base value even more. In terms of Kostner if she had done a 3/3 she could have added on a double axel which would have increased her base value.

You're missing the point. The results were rigged. The judges just would have fudged a little more, and the others would have still lost.

It's a total non-sequitur.

jkun

Final Flight

I really hate Zayak's rule, especially in the way it is implemented now. I don't think the double axel should be limited. And I think Zayak's rule favors edge jumpers over toe jumpers. For example, if you cannot do a lutz and you can only flutz, you are still able to do an extra triple. But say for example, Yuna, she doesn't do a loop, for whatever reason. She can't cheat a loop. Why should those with an incomplete array of toe jumps get an extra triple over those without all edge jumps? Bad flutzing is basically like doing a 3rd flip..

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I really hate Zayak's rule, especially in the way it is implemented now. I don't think the double axel should be limited. And I think Zayak's rule favors edge jumpers over toe jumpers. For example, if you cannot do a lutz and you can only flutz, you are still able to do an extra triple. But say for example, Yuna, she doesn't do a loop, for whatever reason. She can't cheat a loop. Why should those with an incomplete array of toe jumps get an extra triple over those without all edge jumps? Bad flutzing is basically like doing a 3rd flip..

:thumbsup: :yay:The flutzing issue really needs to be addressed in regard to the Zayak rule.

ahy

Final Flight

so true, can't agree more

roxella

On the Ice
The Russian crowd was clearly cheering for Adelina's Gold and she stood up with dignity and respect and waved to them as if they were her best friends.

That was the moment that brought tears to my eyes :( Such a classy young lady with so much dignity...no wonder she is called "queen" - and I guess that not only for her skating skills but also for her class and her good heart :clap:

redleg

Rinkside
I do feel that her performance wasn't as good as 2010 OGM nor 2013 World's but you should factor that... her injuries still exist.