What did Sotnikova do wrong? | Golden Skate

What did Sotnikova do wrong?

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I had to watch the tape delay with Scott and Sandra because it stopped snowing and I had to go to work, finally :cry:. By the time I got to see it, I knew who won and how it was a travesty, apparently. I lost the "shock" value that I would have gotten if I had seen it live, so I am asking:

So what did she do wrong? She made a small mistake which couldn't be a big deduction (if a fall on a major jump in a 140 point program is minus 1 point, a step out on the third of a jump series shouldn't be more than .000001, seriously). She landed big jumps, spun well, and if she wasn't as musical as Carolina or Yuna, she wasn't like, I don't know, Tonya or Surya, either. She had some musicality at least. She was more flexible than Carolina and did one more jump than Yuna.

I agree she was overscored, and I understand why people are upset, but why is this particular decision the one that will destroy figure skating, instead of just another "could've gone either way" that didn't go the way some people wanted it to?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She did nothing wrong other than the small error. The judges on the other hand, did a lot of wrong by giving her marks equivalent to Kim's and higher than Kostner's and much higher than Asada's (along with Julia getting higher PCS than Asada).

People are jumping down Adelina's throat and saying that she'll forever have her achievements tainted, when the reality is, she skated as well as she could and the Russians did the rest.

Some are acting as though she didn't land a 3Z+3T and 2A+3T. The judges and Russian federation didn't land that for her, SHE did. Give her SOME credit.

figurejennah

On the Ice
I had to watch the tape delay with Scott and Sandra because it stopped snowing and I had to go to work, finally :cry:. By the time I got to see it, I knew who won and how it was a travesty, apparently. I lost the "shock" value that I would have gotten if I had seen it live, so I am asking:

So what did she do wrong? She made a small mistake which couldn't be a big deduction (if a fall on a major jump in a 140 point program is minus 1 point, a step out on the third of a jump series shouldn't be more than .000001, seriously). She landed big jumps, spun well, and if she wasn't as musical as Carolina or Yuna, she wasn't like, I don't know, Tonya or Surya, either. She had some musicality at least. She was more flexible than Carolina and did one more jump than Yuna.

I agree she was overscored, and I understand why people are upset, but why is this particular decision the one that will destroy figure skating, instead of just another "could've gone either way" that didn't go the way some people wanted it to?

Because it is not one of those "could've gone either way" incidents. Now, it's clear to everyone that this sport can be rigged and that's why everyone who loves figure skating should be furious. If you are not going to catch that little Russian girl's UR, then don't catch other people's either.
If you are gonna give that Adelia 9+, then why are you giving Kim 7+ for her amazing skating?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adelina didn't do anything wrong. She is a good skater and a lovely person, but at this point in her career, her skating skills just aren't in the same league as Carolina Kostner and YuNa Kim. It is not Adelina's fault that the judges grossly overscored her in PCS and GOE.

I have read that Adelina's facebook page has been overrun with horrible messages, similar to what Ashley Wagner got after US Nationals.
That has got to stop.

ks777

Record Breaker
Nothing she did the best she could do. I am impressed with her. She didn't crumble like she always does. The judges however, didn't give her an edge call on her lutz. and her 3flutz-3toe, the toe jump looked little underrotated.. if they are going to give her credit, Mao should have gotten both of her 3lutz-3loop and 2axel-3toe should have been ratified as fully rotated.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some are acting as though she didn't land a 3Z+3T and 2A+3T. The judges and Russian federation didn't land that for her, SHE did. Give her SOME credit.

THIS!!!:bow:

I'm not sure Yuna won or Adelina. For that matter I could see Caro being the winner. I wonder if Yuna went before Adelina what would have happened? Sad thing is if a little thing like that can change the scores than what is actually being judged?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Adelina didn't do anything wrong. She is a good skater and a lovely person, but at this point in her career, her skating skills just aren't in the same league as Carolina Kostner and YuNa Kim. It is not Adelina's fault that the judges grossly overscored her in PCS and GOE.

I have read that Adelina's facebook page has been overrun with horrible messages, similar to what Ashley Wagner got after US Nationals.
That has got to stop

This.

(Bolded by me.)

UnChosen

On the Ice
She did nothing wrong other than the small error. The judges on the other hand, did a lot of wrong by giving her marks equivalent to Kim's and higher than Kostner's and much higher than Asada's (along with Julia getting higher PCS than Asada).

People are jumping down Adelina's throat and saying that she'll forever have her achievements tainted, when the reality is, she skated as well as she could and the Russians did the rest.

3Z + 3T< (e) is more like it...but it is still not the skater's fault.

Manitou

Medalist

It's Carolina who is not in the same league as the new teens. She is mature and artistic, but that's not sports. Maybe she can perform at skate shows, but it's not the same as winning Olympics, which is defined by athleticism, speed and technical difficulty. Art should never be part of Olympic requirements.
And it's the same now with Yuna. Her program was technically easier, slower and lacked energy. She had grace and beauty, but it's not what is or should be required at Olympics.

Nobody gives rat's *** about Mikaela's grace and beauty when she won slalom today. Yes, she was graceful and is very beautiful, but it's not why she won. She was just faster. And that's all.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
THIS!!!:bow:

I'm not sure Yuna won or Adelina. For that matter I could see Caro being the winner. I wonder if Yuna went before Adelina what would have happened? Sad thing is if a little thing like that can change the scores than what is actually being judged?

The same thing that happened with Kostner going before Adelina.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Her 2A+3T was excellent but her 3Z+3T was both underrotated and flutzed, neither one being called despite their hammering of Asada's 3F-3Lo and of course the obvious and deserved edge call on her solo Lutz.

elif

Medalist
She didn't, judges did and they should got the blame not a 17 year old skater. Calling names or bullying her is just :no:

That has got to stop.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Thanks for answering my question. What I meant was, "How was her skating not gold-medal worthy?" Obviously, she is not be blamed for any judging problems.

So, to summarize, from what I've read:
1. They nitpicked Mao's (and other peoples?) underrotations and edges, but not hers
2. She got similar PCS scores to the veterans Carolina, Mao and Yuna, despite skating sort of "juniorish"
3. Her PCS scores mysteriously jumped up more than anyone else's. (The PCS scores in general seemed to jump up quite a bit, as Gracie earned 7 more points in a fall program than a clean program less than a week earlier).

I feel bad for her. She seems like a nice kid and if her technical content was truly the highest, I am satisfied with the judges' decision, even if others "danced" better.

Demandred

On the Ice
It's Carolina who is not in the same league as the new teens. She is mature and artistic, but that's not sports. Maybe she can perform at skate shows, but it's not the same as winning Olympics, which is defined by athleticism, speed and technical difficulty. Art should never be part of Olympic requirements.
And it's the same now with Yuna. Her program was technically easier, slower and lacked energy. She had grace and beauty, but it's not what is or should be required at Olympics.
It's figure skating, not track and field. Artistry has always been a major part of it and still is. The rules are quite clear on this.

It's not "ice jumping".

Nobody gives rat's *** about Mikaela's grace and beauty when she won slalom today. Yes, she was graceful and is very beautiful, but it's not why she won. She was just faster. And that's all.
Well, sure, because it's a different sport where speed is everything. Apples and oranges.

Manitou

Medalist
Well, sure, because it's a different sport where speed is everything. Apples and oranges.

No, it's not. It's the same Olympics.
And I absolutely support rules that put more and more focus on the athletics and technicality rather than the artistry. The points vs 6.0 system was the step in that direction and I hope the evolution continues.

tulosai

Record Breaker

Without ANY doubt, Kostner had the best skating skills and speed of any lady out there. She is literally the fastest skater I have EVER seen live, and I have been lucky enough to see many skaters.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
She just did the best she could. I just re watched the free skate and I could tell of the 3Z/3T was under rotated but her lutz looked to be on a outside edge from the angle I saw. I will say this has to be the first time she attacked a competition.

Ven

Match Penalty
Adelina is just a 17 year old girl whose dream was to win the Olympics. Nobody should say anything bad against her.

However, we adults should be able to see the injustice that was done, and take action to remedy the situation.

1. U.S. media keeps trying to spread propaganda about 7 triples vs. 6 triples, but they aren't mentioning Yuna's jump layout was harder in the SP than Adelina.

2. They don't mention that Adelina's PCS were only 0.09 behind Yuna, essentially a tie, and higher than Caro and Mao. Which is absurd.

3. They don't discuss GOEs.

4. They don't mention that Adelina consistently scored in the low 60s components over and over and over again, then suddenly she gets named to the home olympic team, and her score goes to 69 and almost 75 in the next two events.

5. There were already rumors of U.S. - Russia fixing the results before the games. Gracie Gold's inflation only adds more fuel to the fire. 136 with a fall for her, those marks were also very suspicious.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Here's a question:

Do you think that the judges were planning to boost up Julia (if they were indeed crooked/fixing something, which is of course just conjecture), but when she fell, they just threw the points onto Adelina? I find it hard to believe that this girl was the "chosen" one when they didn't even want her to skate in the team program.

Agree she should have been scored lower in the short, with her easier combo, but since that was after Julia fell, maybe that was part of the "conspiracy?"