What did Sotnikova do wrong? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What did Sotnikova do wrong?

jkun

Final Flight
Why did that upset you?

...the media is doing an interview of all the medallsts in a joint panel. You do not leave after you say things while Yuna talks. She is basically a skating goddess. Does she think she is now somehow the same level as her, or even better? At least have some interview etiquette.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by jkun:
Apparently Adelina walked out while yuna was talking at the post medal ceremony interview. I was very upset

Why did that upset you?

Because it's tacky, ungracious, and just plain bad manners, that's why. If Yuna had walked out on Adelina, there would have been screaming about Yuna's poor sportsmanship from Sochi to Samoa.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wonder if Adelina will go to Worlds? There will be no RUS judge at Worlds in Japan---only EST, LTU and UKR, and LTU has never been part of the bloc. Japanese audiences cheer for all the skaters, so no help there. I guess it will depend on the tech team---it wouldn't surprise me to see Mme Shekhovtseva as the Tech Controller.

If Shekhovtseva and Balkov are at Worlds Adelina will be there. If they are not she will be nowhere to be found, WDing either from fatigue or some so called injury.

bekalc

Record Breaker
...the media is doing an interview of all the medallsts in a joint panel. You do not leave after you say things while Yuna talks. She is basically a skating goddess. Does she think she is now somehow the same level as her, or even better? At least have some interview etiquette.

Yes, We all know. Adelina should bow down to the greatness that is Kim. So be it if she maybe has to go to the bathroom, or maybe was called over for something. She just stay and sit there. Even though she probably doesn't understand a thing Kim's saying.

As for Adelina, Kostner and Kim will not be at Worlds. Nobody's complaining about her beating anyways. She's on record for wanting more Gold medals.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't think she did anything wrong at all. Yu-na skated well, but she skated like she was bored or asleep. I actually thought Kostner might win. I think a lot of people are just mad because they were expecting Yu-Na to win a second OGM and she didn't. If it was someone else who Sotnikova beat, like I dunno, Miko Ando with the same program as Yu-na's, I don't think people would be so upset.

volk

Final Flight
I don't think she did anything wrong at all. Yu-na skated well, but she skated like she was bored or asleep. I actually thought Kostner might win. I think a lot of people are just mad because they were expecting Yu-Na to win a second OGM and she didn't. If it was someone else who Sotnikova beat, like I dunno, Miko Ando with the same program as Yu-na's, I don't think people would be so upset.

Kim was not the same and that brought down her PCS

LOL. This is so unfair. It's like your coaches were on the judging panel.

The judges are part of the team that the national federations send to the Olympics, just like the skaters are. It has always been this way.

Panini

On the Ice
If people think Adelina's PCS being much higher than Mao's is a travesty, why are they okay with Yuna's PCS being way higher than Mao's? I thought Mao had a lovelier FS than both Carolina and Yuna, but her PCS doesn't reflect that. The reason Adelina beat Mao in PCS is because Mao was under marked. If you don't think Mao was under marked, then you should be complaining that all three medalists had inflated PCS, not just Adelina.

volk

Final Flight
If people think Adelina's PCS being much higher than Mao's is a travesty, why are they okay with Yuna's PCS being way higher than Mao's? I thought Mao had a lovelier FS than both Carolina and Yuna, but her PCS doesn't reflect that. The reason Adelina beat Mao in PCS is because Mao was under marked. If you don't think Mao was under marked, then you should be complaining that all three medalists had inflated PCS, not just Adelina.

If you're not in the last group typically your scores are held down.

Panini

On the Ice
If you're not in the last group typically your scores are held down.

That's my point exactly. Why are posters ignoring this and bringing Mao into the PCS discussion, as though the only reason Adelina scored higher was because of Russian corruption?

chiocciola

On the Ice
I feel so so so sorry for Adelina... really. I just hope that THIS will not crush her, instead, will make her stronger. She's not leaving like former young champions, she has a desire to win all the gold possible.

What's for the competition, the gap between the clean girls was tiny, so it could go either way. People would still blame this or that skater for winning, but, honestly, should we give the gold to somebody that reluctant to win like Yu-Na just for former victories. Some people just won't see that this Yu-Na has little to do with Vancouver Yu-Na. It's like Plushenko in Vancouver (but he had more difficult TES back than). I didn't understand her SP score honestly. Bad spins, no transitions, bad speed. She went from one element to another. Was not involved in the program at all! In that aspect she was the worst out of two warm-ups. What she did is only jumped EASIER content than Sotnikova. And she should have been third.

I'm sorry for Mao. She could have won with that LP, but have you ever seen judges giving huge score to N 16? And... it's not fair. You have no right for a mistake. You should skate both programs clean.

So all this critisism is just because the Americans did not medal. But judges were very generous to Gracie who simply did not handle the pressue.

And another thing... you knwow when you win! Remember the face expressions of 90% of the champions. Tot/Mar, VM in 2010, Yu-Na in 2010, Sotnikova in 2014, Yagudin in 2002, Plush in 2006. After skating the LP both Yu-na and Caro were just satisfied feeling that it might not be enough.

Krislite

Medalist
I feel so so so sorry for Adelina... really. I just hope that THIS will not crush her, instead, will make her stronger. She's not leaving like former young champions, she has a desire to win all the gold possible.

What's for the competition, the gap between the clean girls was tiny, so it could go either way. People would still blame this or that skater for winning, but, honestly, should we give the gold to somebody that reluctant to win like Yu-Na just for former victories. Some people just won't see that this Yu-Na has little to do with Vancouver Yu-Na. It's like Plushenko in Vancouver (but he had more difficult TES back than). I didn't understand her SP score honestly. Bad spins, no transitions, bad speed. She went from one element to another. Was not involved in the program at all! In that aspect she was the worst out of two warm-ups. What she did is only jumped EASIER content than Sotnikova. And she should have been third.

In the SP? Sotnikova did 3T+3T. Yuna did 3Lz+3T. Give me a break. Nobody's blaming Sotnikova. She obviously didn't score herself.

Panini

On the Ice
In the SP? Sotnikova did 3T+3T. Yuna did 3Lz+3T. Give me a break. Nobody's blaming Sotnikova. She obviously didn't score herself.

Plenty of people are blaming Sotnikova on this forum, wishing her ill in her career and life.

SkatingFun

Rinkside
do you know 7 triples has much much high difficulty and could fall and then lost lots of points vs 6 triples??? Yuna simply played it safe and has NO guts to put 7 triples in her Free Skates. her PCS is way too high with her Sochi program: go back to watch her Vancouver Long Program and Sochi Long program. You can see what I mean..

Adelina is just a 17 year old girl whose dream was to win the Olympics. Nobody should say anything bad against her.

However, we adults should be able to see the injustice that was done, and take action to remedy the situation.

1. U.S. media keeps trying to spread propaganda about 7 triples vs. 6 triples, but they aren't mentioning Yuna's jump layout was harder in the SP than Adelina.

2. They don't mention that Adelina's PCS were only 0.09 behind Yuna, essentially a tie, and higher than Caro and Mao. Which is absurd.

3. They don't discuss GOEs.

4. They don't mention that Adelina consistently scored in the low 60s components over and over and over again, then suddenly she gets named to the home olympic team, and her score goes to 69 and almost 75 in the next two events.

5. There were already rumors of U.S. - Russia fixing the results before the games. Gracie Gold's inflation only adds more fuel to the fire. 136 with a fall for her, those marks were also very suspicious.

volk

Final Flight
do you know 7 triples has much much high difficulty and could fall and then lost lots of points vs 6 triples??? Yuna simply played it safe and has NO guts to put 7 triples in her Free Skates. her PCS is way too high with her Sochi program: go back to watch her Vancouver Long Program and Sochi Long program. You can see what I mean..

She said her goal was to skate clean. Maybe that's why she was tight.

bara1968

On the Ice
Oh my god. 7 triples.... much much difficult? How about Mao's 8 triple? Yes she got some URs, but so did Sot (just was not called)

How on earth Mao Asada's 8-triple program can be beaten by Sot with 7+ pts margin then?

Forget about this number of triples- crap. Even if Yuna included 3L as you are saying, the BV increases by less than two points, which will not be able to close the gap anyway. And Yuna's jump quality is way better than Sot. How's that?

It is simply not the point, the point is

Sot DID get undeserving GOE and PCS marks (both SP and LP), and some of her visible mistakes(wrong edge, URed double, URed 3T) was NOT called by Russian tech caller.

ks777

Record Breaker
Oh my god. 7 triples.... much much difficult? How about Mao's 8 triple? Yes she got some URs, but so did Sot (just was not called)

How on earth Mao Asada's 8-triple program can be beaten by Sot with 7+ pts margin then?

Forget about this number of triples- crap. Even if Yuna included 3L as you are saying, the BV increases by less than two points, which will not be able to close the gap anyway. And Yuna's jump quality is way better than Sot. How's that?

It is simply not the point, the point is

Sot DID get undeserving GOE and PCS marks (both SP and LP), and some of her visible mistakes(wrong edge, URed double, URed 3T) was NOT called by Russian tech caller.

Yep, plus Adelina's SP was much much easier than Yuna and Carolina's. Also Adelina never recieved level 4 on her step sequence ever until at the Olympics. Adelina does not deserve that high PCS. Adelina's posture reminds me of Yoshie Onda, whose nickname was a truck driver.