How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move | Page 12 | Golden Skate

How Sotnikova beat Kim - Move by Move

Nadya

On the Ice
Kwan and Bezic did not agree with the win. Weir didn't either on first broadcast, but was pushed to change his opinion.

Anyway, that is all irrelevant. It's about how the scores were blatantly wrong for what the skaters did on the ice. Even if Sotnikova theoretically deserved to win it, there was a clear problem with the technical panel and the judges. The blow-out result of Sotnikova winning leaves a distaste in almost everyone's mind. It's like if Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze had been given a bunch of 6.0's in 2002. People still debate which pair deserved to win, but that kind of score would be wrong even if you do think they deserved to win.
Where is the evidence Weir was pushed?

And how is "Adelina won fair and square" not agreeing with her win? What do you call it?

sk8in

Match Penalty
This is how the legendary Kwan said it. Adelina won fair and square.

Kwan later doubled back, claiming the judging system is correct, but the people doing the judging need to be fixed. That wasn't "inexplicable." She was acknowledging the glaring conflicts of interest present in the judging panel that night. Of course Michelle Kwan is not going to come out and trash the entire Olympic competition. Do you know anything about figure skating? I can not stand people like you who are so obviously insincere. It is like when Republicans decry "reverse racism" or something. If you simply prefered Sotnikova's skating than argue THAT.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Didn't Bezic say "As a choreographer, I would give it(PCS) to Yuna" and praised choreo details of Yuna?

I have never heard of Bezic actually saying "Sot should win" etc.

Bezic specifically cited the difficulty of the moves Yuna performed between the jumps. Scott Hamilton then came back with, 'this is a sport!' Well, it is called figure skating. Not skate jumping.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Kwan probably realized she might not get invited back to do Yuna shows if she didn't say something. She was quite certain of the winner after the competition. She never retracted her statement that Adelina should have won did she?

Bezic said Yuna needed those points she missed to win. How is that not saying Adelina should have won?
Are you serious? You think Yuna is that bitter and vindictive?

Also at the end of Yuna's skate during the NBC broadcast, the guy who's always with Bezic and Hamilton said verbatim "The Queen still reigns!" In the moment they expected Yuna to get the higher score.

bara1968

On the Ice
Bezic specifically cited the difficulty of the moves Yuna performed between the jumps. Scott Hamilton then came back with, 'this is a sport!' Well, it is called figure skating. Not skate jumping.

Oh, really? The part I specifically remember was that, those NBC commentators ended up saying "Yuna is still the queen of figure skating" and nodded with weird (pity??) face. I could not help but laughed since their reaction to the gold medalist were so much different from Vancouver. This time, they spent the entire wrap-up time with *explaining* how Yuna lost to Sot and saying, PCS could be debatable, etc etc. I heard Yuna Yuna Yuna Yuna rather than gold medalist's name. That was well, :rolleye:awkward.

fruitbasket

Rinkside
did bezic said that she deserved to win the gold?? i thought she was just silent.. :eek:hwell:

kwan said that "it's not the scoring system that's the problem, it's the judges.." while weir, lipinski, and hamilton didn't further explain why adelina deserves to win.. they just said that her program is more difficult..

planned to have difficult jumps and execute planned difficult jumps are two separate matters. sotinkova did not deliver planned jumps; wrong edge lutz; two footed underrotated jumps..... judges reward sloppy performance over quality performance. after i saw inflated scores and name of judges panels including the technical controller, it is too obvious that ....favoritism has deeply involved in sochi ladies events. what a shame..

sk8in

Match Penalty
Oh, really? The part I specifically remember was that, those NBC commentators ended up saying "Yuna is still the queen of figure skating" and nodded with weird (pity??) face. I could not help but laughed since their reaction to the gold medalist were so much different from Vancouver. This time, they spent the entire wrap-up time with *explaining* how Yuna lost to Sot and saying, PCS could be debatable, etc etc. I heard Yuna Yuna Yuna Yuna rather than gold medalist's name. That was well, :rolleye:awkward.
The clip I'm talking about was the recap after the free skates were complete. It was like an interview where Bezic/Hamilton were actually on camera. Bezic DID say verbatim Yuna is 'definitely the queen of figure skating.' I don't know how drivingmissdaisy reads into that thinking Bezic agrees with Sotnikova's gold, but whatever.

bara1968

On the Ice
??? How can you come up with the exact opposite of what I thought? I thought, even though Bezic did not articulate it, she preferred Yuna based on what I wrote so far. (She herself said she would give Yuna PCS as a choreographer, she praised Yuna a lot etc etc )

I was disagreeing with DMD to be absolutely clear.

Probably you got confused by "*explaining*" part, but what I meant was that, it was weird to see that they needed to explain the win. (You know, they didn't have to in Vancouver.)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
@sk8in - Eh, drivingmissdaisy is a huge Adelina fan and has made some interesting comments regarding Kim, so might as well save your breath.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
@sk8in - Eh, drivingmissdaisy is a huge Adelina fan and has made some interesting comments regarding Kim, so might as well save your breath.

good to know.

nbc is the official olympic broadcasting corporation over the US and they were the only one who had their own cameras into the olympic other than russians. I am pretty sure they might have been pressured not to argue about scandals in sochi, but to rather explain and justify the results to the viewer. Moreover, on the talk with gold, wagner, and polina, they seem to be pressured by nbc people not to disagree with the result.(just my feelings tho) Additionally, did you guys follow gala on nbc olympic channel? They had an advertisement one gala after another. It was very annoying and interesting. The order of gala was also very suspicious. They didn't show Adelina Sotnikova's performance after Yuna's performance, rather they showed Sotnikova's performance like 2 hours later at like 12am. What do you guys think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ugucCI1T4U

I think gold was being little sarcastic on her speech, lol. It clearly seems like nbc pressured them and the fact that they are still active figure skaters. :) and I think gold's score was inflated also. unlike wagner, gold didn't get a deduction on her mistakes.(look at wagner's face when gold is speaking :laugh: ) I am sure the discussion was set before the recording. And I heard that the facilities were terrible at Sochi, but why are they praising??:confused::confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQbkuUVtTI

I just want to smack scott's face so hard. wow his argument is so much freaking persuasive. What a huge difference of base value between sotnikova and yuna right? just 1.44. and adelina really deserved level 4 step sequence for both short and free right? I think Bezic truly thinks Yuna was better. All other commentators laugh when Bezic praises Yuna LOL. Without discussing wrong usage of edge, under-rotation, step sequence in depth, interpretation, choreography, they are just justifying the result to the viewers. Why don't they mention Asada Mao who had more triples than Sotnikova but had lower scores on free skating???:confused: I am really disappointed at cowardness from nbc. :(

sk8in

Match Penalty
I really like how Gracie throws shade in that first video. "That's part of skating in a country like Russia." haha I know people think she's a plastic barbie, but I think she's sort of embraces that image. She like a sassy ***** in a fun way.

Also notice Scott's commentary on Adelina: "Everything she did was as well as it... ---she can perform it!"

Alba

Record Breaker
I just googled "poor facilities at sochi olympic" and these came up and I am sure there are much more.

Can you imagine Putin's picture in your hotel room? lol It's like North Korea :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was talking about sports facilities. However, regarding the athletes’ village I heard only good things in italian tv at least.
Valentina Marchei here says the rooms are splendid. Capellini&Lanotte have only good things to say, in fact superlative adjectives.
http://www.gazzetta.it/Sport-Invern...o-scoperta-villaggio-olimpico-808041347.shtml

Not a five star resort if that's what you meant, but all comforts were there from what I've seen on italian tv as well. I think if it was good enough for Millionaire NHL players ( http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/04/nhl-players-trade-luxury-for-community-in-sochi )should be good enough for the journalists as well, but I guess the cold war mentality is hard to let go. ;)

You have to excuse me if I take with a grain of salt some of those photos and articles.
http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/8-viral-sochi-olympics-photos-that-are-total-lies-1517429839

I can't imagine what some of the media would've said if for example in Moscow the organiziers were to improvise spleeping rooms inside the rink, in order to facilitate the skaters, in a World Championship. Thank god it was in Saitama.

Nadya

On the Ice
There are all kinds of people and "unadulterated filth" can appear anywhere, There is even "unadulterated filth" against Yuna's perfect beautiful programs, let alone, this situation(Sochi Fraud).
Yuna showed transcendental personality in Sochi, does not mean she condones what happened in Sochi, nor does it mean that Yuna fans or figure skating fans should not fight for the justice in Figure skating.

NYT represent just one part of major media.
This has nothing to do with Yuna and her transcendental personality (that word, fyi, doesn't mean what you think it means.)

I'm sure unadulterated filth can appear anywhere. This time, it appeared on Sotnikova's social media pages with Korean characters and Korean last names.

So yes, I'm not sure that your story of happy-gracious fans stands up to scrutiny. Unless you are arguing that people who spammed Adelina are somehow not Yuna's fans.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
I think it's called "Kim fans recasting reality."

The statement "fair and square" can be interpreted only one way.

You also didn't provide any evidence that Weir was pushed. Is that your opinion?

here are Italy's reaction on Yuna's free skating. Sorry I don't have a subtitle.
you have to watch on computer
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/...s_keyword=xoQk

Actually I found one with english subtitle. It's from Sky italia

http://vimeo.com/89457478

Silvia Fontana (2 time Olympian and retired figure skater in white), Danilo Freri (blue) and Massimiliano Ambesi (green), both for Sky Italia.
Enjoy