I have given up hope on Viktoria Helgesson | Golden Skate

I have given up hope on Viktoria Helgesson

greig

Rinkside
My third thread of the night,joined since 2006 but only posting recently so apologies if i am overdoing it on the threads but i felt i needed to make a thread on viktoria..like marchei in the last few years i have seen such a great improvement in Victoria but for the last two seasons she has been so inconsistent..for such a beautiful skater, with lovely artistry, she has been a disaster this season..She has a much more powerful presence than her sister joshi, but cannot seem to get the jump elements.I dont think i have seen her land a triple lutz jump, its a shame, cause she has everything else going for her..she is a sight for sore eyes on the ice, but the elements are not there. I hope she can comeback in 2014 stronger, but i think sadly joshi is the dominant force now

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
She's one of my favourites, so I was disappointed that she didn't make the free at the Olympics, to say the least. I was thinking "maybe they should have sent Joshi," and that's big from me, considering I like Viktoria about 10x better (although Joshi is not bad).

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
I was gutted for Viktoria.
She was so much better than that awful SP.
I still think she has a lot to give.
She is far more artistic than Joshi but not technically.
She kinda reminds me of Caryn Kadavy. Such a beautiful skater.
I still think she can do well at the Europeans.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I felt bad for her after she didn't qualify for the free skate. She's just too inconsistent a skater. At her age, she'll probably retire now. Maybe Joshi will have more success if she gets to the worlds...however I have doubts.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
Aren't the girls coached by their mother? Perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Yes they are. That aside, how strong is the coaching in Sweden in general? Perhaps it would have been better to look internationally for a coach. Of course, the cost of that sort of things can be prohibitive.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Viktoria has had a hard season due to injuries and 2 surgeries in her foot early in the season . That could explain the poor result but Vicky feels, if you read her blogg , that she is in better shape than ever but had no chance to show it :(

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yes they are. That aside, how strong is the coaching in Sweden in general? Perhaps it would have been better to look internationally for a coach. Of course, the cost of that sort of things can be prohibitive.

Seems that Swedish skaters often struggle. Berntsson and Schultheiss were quite inconsistent, and Majorov is starting to look that way too.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I always enjoyed watching Viktoria. I was really hoping for her to have that magical Olympic Moment where everything falls into place, but since she didn't look comfortable at all, I was actually happy for Anne-Line Gjersem, who skated well and would have finished 25th if Viktoria hadn't missed her SP. Gjersem got to enjoy the FS - I felt Viktoria would probably not have enjoyed hers.
If you want to remember just how lovely Viktoria can skate, look at this ;)
I wish her all the best.