World's Ladies Podium | Page 3 | Golden Skate

World's Ladies Podium

BlackPack

Medalist
totally agree with this. Even if Adelina has 3 falls.
ISU hates to be criticized wrt Olympics result so judges are reluctant to place the gold medallist lower than 2nd, even her performance is horrible.
(as Kim at 2010 Wold)

That is possible. But Urmanov the 94 Olympic champ finished off the podium in 94 Worlds, behind Zaggy who got the bronze. So there was a time when the judging was fair :)

samson

Medalist
I would be surprised if we didn't see at least one Russian Lady on the podium. It will be very interesting to see which Adelina shows up. She has seemed to be getting stronger and stronger all season but I'll be curious if Sochi is the peak, or just the beginning of what we can expect. I'm not sure I know Julia well enough at this point to know what to expect performance wise after Sochi. But I do remember that her second grand prix appearance was a bit lack luster and she manages to rebound just fine so we'll see...

I hope we see a much stronger Ashley show up. Hopefully she's regained some of that confidence or at least fire in her belly. I think we may see Gracie on the podium (and what a welcome treat that will be for US Skating if she is).

I would LOVE for Mao to win this worlds. It would be such a wonderful finale to her long career. We'll see if it comes to be.

I'm also rooting for a top 10 finish for Polina and just an overall improvement of ladies placements for Japan. If Carolina is also there I'd love to see her on the podium.

This may be a tall order but I think I'd love
Mao
Carolina
Gracie

But I would be a little surprised of Julia or Adelina didn't get up there.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Yulia gets her 4(f)lz-3t it will be lights out everyone:rolleye:

Alba

Record Breaker

Yulia is ma fav. I just love her, but I don't want her to win now. It's too soon and she's too young. I would be very happy with bronze medal but that's it.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yulia is ma fav. I just love her, but I don't want her to win now. It's too soon and she's too young. I would be very happy with bronze medal but that's it.

If she skates well and gets 5th I'm still happy to see her skate. It just speaks well of the whole sport in this case!

Alba

Record Breaker
If she skates well and gets 5th I'm still happy to see her skate. It just speaks well of the whole sport in this case!

Yeah, me too. I was just saying bronze, meaning that if there is to be a medal it's better that one, for now.
I just want to see her grow and skate well, and have a long career. The medals will come with that i due time.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Yes, but will she have time to train and perfect this in the run-up to worlds? We're only a month away! (I realize you did the eye-roll so was wondering if you were for real or being sarcastic ....)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, but will she have time to train and perfect this in the run-up to worlds? We're only a month away! (I realize you did the eye-roll so was wondering if you were for real or being sarcastic ....)

Very sarcastic. But she will improve. I'm sure of that.

BusyMom

Medalist
Try here: http://www.wfc2014.jp/english/index.html (site is in English)

My cousin lives in Tokyo and tried to get tix, apparently it's slim pickings for good seats now with the intense interest in the sport there, and the likely last competitive performances from Mao and Dai. Good luck, have a great time if you go!!

Thank you so much. There are very few tickets left, but I'm sure all the good seats are gone. The problem will be accommodations. All hotels in the area are fully book already. Unless you want to spent USD500 per night++ or spend an hour or two travelling to the venue.
We'll see how it goes, since the flight is so cheap now for some reason.

Ralph

Spectator
Winning = SP + FP under control (both!) so my guess would be:
1) Adelina (already a winner)
2) Mao (skates in Japan, best FP)
3) Julia (probably the best if the season)

Olympic

On the Ice
Podium will be Mao, Carolina and one Russian (either Lipnitskaya or Sotnikova) but I expect the order to be different than in Sochi, meaning no Russian standing atop the podium. Gracie will probably end up 4th again. I don't think 2 Russians will be put ahead of Gracie outside of Russia, though. Ashley will probably end up around 6th. Akiko is a mystery - injuries and such.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Let's say we pencil in the top 6: Mao, Caro, both Russians, Ashley and Gracie.

The rest of the top 10? How about Polina, Valentina, Kanako, Mae? Sound about right?

This assume Akiko doesn't go and Satoko or Haruka takes her spot, and I have no idea how these two others would fare in the senior top ten at this time.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's say we pencil in the top 6: Mao, Caro, both Russians, Ashley and Gracie.

The rest of the top 10? How about Polina, Valentina, Kanako, Mae? Sound about right?

This assume Akiko doesn't go and Satoko or Haruka takes her spot, and I have no idea how these two others would fare in the senior top ten at this time.

If Mae goes clean should she not be ahead of Ashley? I could see a case for that.

ILuvYuna

On the Ice
I wish clean skates for everyone! <3

Podium I'm hoping for (w/clean skates):
1. Mao/Caro
2. Caro/Mao
3. Gracie/Yulia

Podium I'm expecting (assuming clean skates):
1. Adelina/Adelina/Mao
2. Mao / Caro /Adelina
3. Caro / Mao /Yulia

Mao, w/home advantage will definitely finish on the Podium, but I'm expecting Adelina to finish no lower than 2nd (for issues of credibility after all the controversy). I would love to see Caro win, but I doubt she could take the title given the politics that seem to always come into play (homegrown hero vs. OGM reputation talked about earlier). If Adelina doesn't win (again because of politics) I foresee Yulia bumping Caro off the podium :slink: