Time to apologise to Edmunds! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Time to apologise to Edmunds!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I never thought she shouldn't go and she did skate well. :) She and Gracie will be a great thing for the US (well, they kinda already are, but more so) if things keep going as they are!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
why say apologize...she skate nice...she a future diamond...:biggrin:

I think people are suggesting that the Mirai psychos who wanted to boot her off the team in favour of Mirai ought to apologise...

But I reiterate my opinion: there are a lot of people who owe both Polina AND Ashley an apology.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I will admit I thought they should have put Nagasu on the team instead of Edmunds, but it was because I didn't think the Olympics was the right time for a 15-year-old skater to make her senior international debut.

Also, I don't think she should feel cheated out of a bronze medal. Having Ashley skate was the smart choice.

Matt K

On the Ice
I am not trying to defend Edmunds. I don't like her either. But I think she earned her spot to compete at the Team Event along with Gold based on her Nationals performance. Wagner didn't have a really great skate at the Team Event (63.xx points) and no matter where Edmunds finished in the Team SP, Team USA would still have won a bronze medal.

I think USFSA thought they really had a good shot at a Gold medal or at least a Silver medal in the Team Event, which is why they put Wagner in the SP. But, even if Edmunds finished last in the Team SP it would not have affected the overall results at all.

Based on her Nationals performance, I think Edmunds earned a spot at the Team Event along with Gracie Gold.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Polina is the future of American figure skating, along with Gracie.
Polina showed very strong nerves as a competitor, and her techniques are superior. Every time I see her skate in the past year, she is doing better than her pervious performance.
My only concern is how much taller she will get. She is now the same height as Gracie, and she will probably gets one inch or two in the future.

amethyst1

Spectator
I saw Polina skate at the 2011 Nationals in Greensboro. My friends and I noted then that there was something special about her even though she did not make the podium. Even then, she just had that "it" factor where you could not take your eyes off of her when she performed. I am delighted by her Sochi placement and really look forward to watching her career develop over the next few years. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am not trying to defend Edmunds. I don't like her either. But I think she earned her spot to compete at the Team Event along with Gold based on her Nationals performance. Wagner didn't have a really great skate at the Team Event (63.xx points) and no matter where Edmunds finished in the Team SP, Team USA would still have won a bronze medal.

I think USFSA thought they really had a good shot at a Gold medal or at least a Silver medal in the Team Event, which is why they put Wagner in the SP. But, even if Edmunds finished last in the Team SP it would not have affected the overall results at all.

Based on her Nationals performance, I think Edmunds earned a spot at the Team Event along with Gracie Gold.

No, that's not true. Ashley's 4th place finished ensured they would have finished in the top 5 so they be in the final and be in contention for a medal. Had Ashley (or Polina) done poorly the U.S. would have been in a lot of hurt, especially with Jeremy's poor SP.

If Polina/Ashley finished last (1 point), with all other results the same:

Russia: 37
Canada: 33
Japan: 24
Italy: 23
France 23:
---
USA: 21
China: 21

U.S. would have been out of the running for the final round and the medal.

That said, I don't think Polina would have have finished last.

And that said...

Congrats Polina on a steller senior international debut!

b-man

Final Flight
I think people are suggesting that the Mirai psychos who wanted to boot her off the team in favour of Mirai ought to apologise...

But I reiterate my opinion: there are a lot of people who owe both Polina AND Ashley an apology.
And apologize for what. Wagner supporters said Wagner was entitled, had to be on the team, and didn't care if Edmunds or Nagasu was left home. Nagasu supporters said she should go as third, didn't care if Wagner was left off as 4th or Edmunds, who had zero senior international edperience, was left home. Edmnds supporters, as few as they were, said either 3rd Nagasu or 4th place Wagner should stay home., not 2nd place Edmunds. No one, not Wagner supporters, or Nagasu supporters said Edmunds couldn't skate or wouldn't perform in Sochi. And I, whom you consider a psycho, predicted on this forum Edmunds would finish 9th to 12th in Sochi, which Edmunds did, and further said she will be a great addition in the next quad, which she will be.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Team USA was hurt more by putting Abbott in the SP than by Wagner.

PftJump

On the Ice
She' shining on the Olympic icerink.

It was good experience to her.

Just Pray for stopping her growth...(No more!!)

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't need to apologize because I felt she earned her way to the Olympics and she ended up in a top 10 finish. Kudos to her.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Edmunds did the most difficult combination of any of the ladies with that flip/loop/salchow. She probably has the highest potential of the US ladies.

caelum

On the Ice
Edmunds did the most difficult combination of any of the ladies with that flip/loop/salchow. She probably has the highest potential of the US ladies.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this. At that age, it's fairly easy to pop these tricks out, and that's why it's pretty popular on the junior circuit (off the top of my head, Serafima Sakhanovich, Alexandra Proklova, and Lutricia Bock also do a variation of this, as well as a few other girls). She'll likely lose that jump (or at least be unable to keep it at competitive levels) as she ages.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She was still the 3rd U.S lady so those who still cry Nagasu should have gone, Edmunds is still the obvious target. FWIW I think Nagasu would have placed the same or lower as Edmunds did in Sochi (probably lower) and agreed with the team selections all along, but still mantain Wagner's spot was and should have been more of a lock than either Edmunds or Nagasu even after Nationals.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nagasu, Gold, and Wagner got the SOI spots over Edmunds. That might serve Nagasu better in the long run than going to Olympics, especially as she has already been. Edmunds did a nice job at Olympics. She may not be done growing and developing; whether she will keep all her jumps is just not known at this point. She has good technique though, so she has a decent chance.

usethis2

Medalist
I wouldn't put too much stock into this. At that age, it's fairly easy to pop these tricks out, and that's why it's pretty popular on the junior circuit (off the top of my head, Serafima Sakhanovich, Alexandra Proklova, and Lutricia Bock also do a variation of this, as well as a few other girls). She'll likely lose that jump (or at least be unable to keep it at competitive levels) as she ages.

Isn't she 17? Her body doesn't look like a type that will become more lady-like in the future. And gosh, is she tall. Just how tall is she? 5'10"?

Edit: My bad. She's 15. So yeah, perhaps she may go through growth spurt.

slutskayafann

Rinkside
Good Luck to her. And actually "grown-ups" who talk passive about any 15 year girl cause she went to Olympics scare me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll say it: I think it's a totally rubbish joke that Nagasu gets Stars on Ice and Edmunds doesn't.