Time to apologise to Edmunds! | Golden Skate

Time to apologise to Edmunds!

So apparently - based on most posters who have discussed this matter - Polina Edmunds didn't deserve to go to Olympics because of her 'lack of experience' (even though she has had a solid - if not long - competition record) and would likely implode at Olympics.

So much for that happening. In a very shocking and unexpected twist, Edmunds who has competed quite consistently last season and again this season, was again quite consistent at Olympics. Who would have thought? The fact that it was a senior competition didn't suddenly make her forget her choreography, freeze in terror and pop all her jumps.

She gave decent performances in both programs, presenting them to the best of her ability. In the SP she got a < call on the 3toe but given the preceding 3lutz had a slightly scratchy landing without a lot of speed out, it was a gutsy attempt. In the FS she fell on a 3flip< but landed 3lutz/3toe and 3flip/half-loop/3salchow (despite being too close to the boards and having had to navigate that) combination and the rest of her jumps.

You can apologise to her now. Please form an orderly queue.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I will say, I enjoyed her skating at the Olympics more than I did at Nationals. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think the future for her is bright. She needs to get hooked up with a better choreographer, though.

mwk81

Rinkside
Agreed. To think this was her first senior Intl event, and she went top 10 is still incredible

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think apologies are in order for both Edmunds and Wagner.

Because no way would Nagasu have finished as high as they did.

On a side note: I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED Edmunds. Such huge, airy jumps. Contrast that with the other fifteen year old - well, there's no contrast. Polina's jump technique is amazing. I'd be placing more money on Edmunds' success in the future than I would Lipnitskaya's.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup, because Edmunds has already gone through puberty, has huge jumps, and doesn't rely on quick turns in the air.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
On a side note: I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED Edmunds. Such huge, airy jumps. Contrast that with the other fifteen year old - well, there's no contrast. Polina's jump technique is amazing. I'd be placing more money on Edmunds' success in the future than I would Lipnitskaya's.

Agreed. As great as she was at nationals, I was skeptical about her for the Olys. And yes, that other 15-year-old should definitely watch out...

To Polina, a huge :bow: !!!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was impressed with her @ Nationals, but enjoyed her even more @ the Olympics. She brought her A game with her, and I apologize (even though I was still heartbroken for Mirai). Polina has a bright future.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm beginning to really like Paulina. She is adorable and interprets music well. I loved the sp but felt the lp choreo was fairly generic with nearly the same arm movements throughout. Her basics are good and she seems to handle her nerves well and seems to have a good head on her shoulders. I think she has a great future ahead of her.

In general I WAS REALLY PROUD OF THE THREE US WOMEN!!!!!!

Matt K

On the Ice
I wonder if Edmunds feels cheated out of the bronze medal from being left off the Team Competition in favor of Wagner. I would.

mintx

On the Ice
Polina got the shortest Olympic experience for the US team. She was the last one to arrive in Sochi so it seemed she missed out on some of the fun but she also missed out on some of the pressure. At 15, I think keeping her out of the team event was a smart choice.

Matt K

On the Ice
So? She was placed two spots higher than Wagner at Nationals. And Wagner didn't skate that well in the Team Event SP either. It's not like she helped propel Team USA to bronze.

If it were me I'd be irritated to not have a medal because my federation's short-sighted greed played out in a decision that didn't do any benefit.

amc987

On the Ice
So? She was placed two spots higher than Wagner at Nationals. And Wagner didn't skate that well in the Team Event SP either. It's not like she helped propel Team USA to bronze.

If it were me I'd be irritated to not have a medal.

Wagner skated fine in the team SP. She is the #2 US lady despite Nationals. Polina performed well in Sochi, but she wasn't cheated out of a thing by not being on the bronze medal-winning team.

Dots

Final Flight
So apparently - based on most posters who have discussed this matter - Polina Edmunds didn't deserve to go to Olympics because of her 'lack of experience' (even though she has had a solid - if not long - competition record) and would likely implode at Olympics.

So much for that happening. In a very shocking and unexpected twist, Edmunds who has competed quite consistently last season and again this season, was again quite consistent at Olympics. Who would have thought? The fact that it was a senior competition didn't suddenly make her forget her choreography, freeze in terror and pop all her jumps.

She gave decent performances in both programs, presenting them to the best of her ability. In the SP she got a < call on the 3toe but given the preceding 3lutz had a slightly scratchy landing without a lot of speed out, it was a gutsy attempt. In the FS she fell on a 3flip< but landed 3lutz/3toe and 3flip/half-loop/3salchow (despite being too close to the boards and having had to navigate that) combination and the rest of her jumps.

You can apologise to her now. Please form an orderly queue.

Ziggy I forgot you also post here. :agree:

Polina has nerves of steel and she(and Chen) will give Gracie a run for her money!

Matt K

On the Ice

She was robbed of competing in the Team SP event, and thus, a bronze medal.

Becki

Medalist
I don't like how she telegraphs her jumps like crazy. She takes forever to land them too....it's just not pretty.

I personally don't like her skating, but I see potential.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't like how she telegraphs her jumps like crazy. She takes forever to land them too....it's just not pretty.

I personally don't like her skating, but I see potential.

Other skaters do the same thing like Carolina Kostner. Didn't hurt her career.

All the U.S. ladies did fine. Polina expected top ten, got ninth. Ashley had a chance for top six, got seventh. Gracie I thought would get fifth, she got fourth. :rock: