Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities? | Golden Skate

Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Will Kim Yu-na be remembered more for her artistry or for technical abilities?

When Kim Yu-na first burst into skating, she was renowned for her jumps and skating skills. Her triple-triple and double axel triple toe made her famous. However, at these last olympics, some commentators remarked on Kim's artistry. Sandra on NBC thought Kim was head and shoulder's above the rest of the women in terms of artistry. Do you think Kim will be remembered as an artist or for her powerful jumps?

ahy

Final Flight
The whole package
Edit : and her great personality and humility

jkun

Final Flight
I think she will be remembered for being complete and dependable, especially under an unquantifiable amount of pressure.

edit: and for her grace as a person

wootie

Match Penalty
She'll be remembered for having everything...essentially a complete and beautiful skater.

Ven

Match Penalty
I hope she's remembered most as a good woman.

I think it was Tracy Wilson who called her a "gentle soul".

usethis2

Medalist
The reason why she could pull off such an artistic presence is because she had technical prowess. You cannot be artistic if you are scared of jumps or anything else for that matter. Just ask David Wilson and why Yuna is a special case. Alternatively, you can watch other skaters who were choreographed by Wilson and see the difference. :biggrin:

gds102

Rinkside
Complete package. Both techniques and artistry.
plus humble and graceful personality.

kslr0816

On the Ice
not to mention how much she's donated to charities.. her entire twitter is filled with tweets about children in need, etc etc etc

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
A great combination of both and probably above all a great competitor, the main characteristic synonymous with the great champions like Kwan, Kim, Witt, etc...

vegarin

On the Ice
The skater with the nerve of steel.

If her showing in 2010 Olympics wasn't evidence enough, Sochi 2014 tells me she may possibly be the gutsiest skater in the history of skating. Going into that free skating last, under that terrifying circumstance of the audience rooting desperately against you, and she never wilted. She didn't crumble and rose above everything.

I'd like to see Tara (ugh), or any other skater, to be able to pull out the program of that technical precision and artistry in her shoes.

Ugh, Tara's comment. Still infuriates me.

usethis2

Medalist
"There was a skater called Kim Yuna."

Indeed. Technical prowess + Magical artistry + Nerve of steel + Graceful demeanor + Aura of Queen on the ice.

We may not see the like again, I am afraid.

Those who are bitter about her accomplishment and reputations on this forum are pathetic beings. I have tried to ignore them and will continue to do so even in her absence.

Ven

Match Penalty
Ugh, Tara's comment. Still infuriates me.

Did anyone else see the comment yet or just go off my report? I saw her say it at 1 a.m. late night and posted on here, but I don't know if any others watched it either.

usethis2

Medalist
I did not hear her saying anything after the games because I turn channels whenever I see her. ;)

csunny7

Rinkside
Yuna Kim will be remembered "Queen Yuna" not only for having text book technical abilities & exquisite artistry but for her golden heart with virtues and true beauty. 'Queen Yuna' will be cherished in the history book and the hearts of mankind forever.

Ven

Match Penalty
I did not hear her saying anything after the games because I turn channels whenever I see her. ;)

She said Yuna "didn't have any guts out there" during the LP.

Shame Tara Lipinski. Shame figure skater. Brings shame to her own name.

usethis2

Medalist
She said Yuna "didn't have any guts out there" during the LP.

Shame Tara Lipinski. Shame figure skater. Brings shame to her own name.

She received such criticism EVERY TIME in the past 5 years or so. Go check the Archives on 2013 worlds and heck, even 2010 vancouver. You will see how "uninspiring," "unemotional," "businessman-like," "machine," etc. That's par for the course for some critics because they want to see her fall or want to see her excited because she didn't fall like their average skaters. Heck, I've even seen a criticism that she didn't make enough eye contacts with the judges. :biggrin:

Edit: For example, check this page (and the thread) after her Les Miserables performance in 2013 worlds.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?40487-2013-Worlds-Ladies-FS/page112

Edit 2: or this

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...gure-Skating-Championships-Ladies-Free-Report

The choreography was not as nuanced as in the short, however and this meant all of her flaws were on display. Lines were not fully extended, toes were not pointed, she had pretty much the same facial expression throughout and there was not a lot of eye contact with the judges (if at all). In the SP this was all offset by the fact that there was busy upper body movement throughout (that she seemed to deliver with a bit more conviction as well). But in the FS, it was rather sparse. The element layout was pretty standard as well. She definitely deserves more interesting choreography and hopefully Wilson is going to be more creative and original next season. Given she's just come back, maybe her team didn't want to overburden her with too complex choreography whilst she's getting back to form.

I think those who declare that she lost because of "only" 6 triples are the same people who criticized her for her "lack of artistry" in the past. They suffer from bipolar.