Closing Ceremony | Golden Skate

Closing Ceremony

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
will be live showed just like opening
some figure skaters will be flag bearers like Maxim Trankov

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Partly watched a BBC stream without commentary. Was mostly on my tablet. Would like to see the beautiful fairy-tale/classical music section again on a bigger screen, but unless there's a replay to view on my PC, I'd have to sit thru NBC telling me "This is Rach, this is Scheherezade" etc. :p

The little segment on South Korea was OK too. Rest of it was the typical closing stuff: Wasn't this a great games? (well, to me, no), long speech by IOC guy etc. Glad I don't have to look at Putin's face almost daily anymore.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dang Russia knows how to do a Closing Ceremony. I throughly enjoyed it! Thank you Russia!

nycskate2014

Rinkside
"Glad I don't have to look at Putin's face almost daily anymore"

Me as well...that's why I left Russia two ago years...never going back

Barb

Record Breaker
Beautiful, beautiful ceremony, I loved it :bow: !!, and the bear was soooooo cute!!!:love:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Looved it! It is rare that I truly enjoy closing ceremonies but this one was on the same level as the opening ceremony! Had a shed of tear with the bear, it was soo cute. And, of course, ballet, classical music, circus...well, everything!

(loved the beginning of korean part, but towards the end it looked sloppy...)

I knew that the thing I'd enjoy most about the ceremonies here would be the music and the references to the various other creative and performing arts. Russia has one of the richest cultural traditions of all. The closing ceremony is doing a great job of showing that tradition.

Edit: I just love that floating steampunk air-boat!

Amei

Record Breaker
I give Russia a lot of credit - they have done 2 captivating ceremonies - good luck to the countries that have to follow.

On American TV they usually have a quick retrospective video montage after the end of the ceremonies, with some beautiful slow-motion footage of the various sports, and I always wait for that. It makes you realize, especially in the winter sports where so many athletes end up airborne, that there is artistry inherent in many sports, not just in skating. Look at snowboarding halfpipe, for example, or ski jumping. As an old American pop song says, poetry in motion.

My only regret this year is that they didn't do the montage to music from the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. But it was still exhilarating.

b-man

Final Flight
Agree, opening and closing ceremonies were well done, well planned, both spectacular and tasteful. Usually winter games are nowhere near as good as summer games in this respect, but russian had openings/closing ceremonies to rival any summer games.

Angryyew

Rinkside
Watching on DVR now. Huge props to the producers for having a sense of humor with the ring that didn't open reference.

I thought both opening and closing was quite lovely. Other than the problems caused by weather, they mostly seemed to do a nice job with venues and overall, I think they did a nice job hosting the games.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Do you guys know where I can see the full ceremony? CBC online version is all just cuts and advertising ;(

Manitou

Medalist
Beautiful ceremony, funny resolution of the fifth Olympic ring mishap.
Beautiful execution of the Russian anthem. Funny to see the skaters sing.
Adelina looks really beautiful with loose hair.
I am disappointed I could't find Mikaela in the US crowd. Is she really there?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
in the end Sochi was great and spectacular
not even the propaganda and slamming deterred the games

Russia is proud
and people in Russia are crying because they don't want the games to end and are very happy of their athletes performance
but alas everything always comes to an end

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I watched and re-watched the closing ceremony on CBC/CTV but I hated as they butchered it with the stupid adds. I managed to watch the first part on NBC late, at midnight, only to realize how much I lost with thous boring adds. I wonder if anybody cares for those adds, as I always cut off the sound and look elsewhere. I don't buy things based on advertising. Sorry for the out of topic lament!
I loved it! I love classical music and ballet, so this was a delight!

Manitou

Medalist
I really loved and I truly appreciated the tribute to the Russian writers persecuted by the Stalin's regime. I was shocked when I saw it happening and I never believed it would be possible. So much has changed...:bow: