Does this mean Abbott is done? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Does this mean Abbott is done?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If Jeremy changes his mind and decides not to go, I hope Jason Brown will have enough time to prepare (in other words, not a last minute decision by Jeremy). No doubt that Jason continues to train in the event of this possibility.

Jason has posted several photos of him training at the Sochi practice rink, so should he should be fine training wise.

Skaters, who can/may beat whoever USA sends

Almost definitely
1. Hanyu
2. Machida
3. Takahashi
4. Fernandez

Add Chan, if he competes

Likely
5. Denis Ten
6. Han Yan
7. Russian man (Kovtun)?
8. Brezina
9. Reynolds

Maybe
10. Liebers
11. Amodio
12. Majorov

I think Joubert and Verner will not compete, but add those if you will.

The American men cannot hope to beat the first group, but must limit the "Likely" group. A tough task.

A great analysis, sequins, though I think Machida is beatable. Jason has already beaten him in the SP. The judges show they're not willing to give him that much PCS love, compared to the others in that top group.

Best case scenario is our U.S. men finish 6th and 7th.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since Plushy is having back surgery in early March, that's unlikely.

I was hoping that Jeremy would give Jason his spot, but doesn't look like it unless he changes his mind. Does anyone know the deadline for deciding to go to Worlds?

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Well Jeremy does have a twitter page. Enough people twitter him he might change his mind. How Cruel of me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Let's hope the US men get two spots at least. That is not a given.

Not a given, but would take some epic bombing on the part of Jeremy AND Max. 28 is the number for two spots.

Scenarios where this could happen
1.) One doesn't qualify for the FS and other finishes 11th or lower.
2.) Both skaters finish below 14th place. (14+15=29)

If both bomb, well.....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joubert and Verner have definitely retired. Chan is not going to Worlds. Denis Ten probably will not go, because he has a foot injury and boot problems.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Not a given, but would take some epic bombing on the part of Jeremy AND Max. 28 is the number for two spots.

If both bomb, well.....

Yeah, I don't view it as impossible that one of these things could happen but I think it's EXTREMELY unlikely. I have more faith in them than that.

That is really uncalled for. No athlete should be harassed via social media about anything.

:thumbsup: Agreed.

Flaya

Match Penalty
His best place at World was 5th. I doubt he'll be able to improve on that, even if many favs withdraw.

And he is 28, it would be difficult to be competitive at 32 at US Nationals.

I agree with him on denouncing his haters, a big **** U to them. He's just doing his thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Skaters, who can/may beat whoever USA sends

Almost definitely
1. Hanyu
2. Machida
3. Takahashi
4. Fernandez

Add Chan, if he competes

Likely
5. Denis Ten
6. Han Yan
7. Russian man (Kovtun)?
8. Brezina
9. Reynolds

Maybe
10. Liebers
11. Amodio
12. Majorov

I think Joubert and Verner will not compete, but add those if you will.

The American men cannot hope to beat the first group, but must limit the "Likely" group. A tough task.

Thx, sequins.

I realize that this season has been very different for Max from last, but at London Worlds, he finished seventh behind Chan, Ten, Fernandez, Hanyu, Reynolds, and Takahashi.

A bit of a silver lining to Max's absence from the Olympic team is that he has been able to train at home per usual -- with Worlds as his sole focus. I have no doubt that he will be fresh and rarin' to go in Japan.

Olympic hangover is a possibility for the other guys (with Kovtun the only exception, I think). They have expended a lot of physical and mental energy to enjoy all that the Games have to offer -- in terms of competing, socializing with athletes from other sports and other countries, cheering for others, travel, etc., etc. (all of which Max would have dearly loved, of course). Some of the Olympians destined for Worlds competed in three segments in Sochi.

I am hopeful that Max can maintain last year's placement at the very least. :)

Well Jeremy does have a twitter page. Enough people twitter him he might change his mind. How Cruel of me.

Yes, it is cruel. And I think that a social media campaign against Jeremy would be nothing but upsetting to Jason, who would never condone such a thing.

adamlondon

On the Ice
does it matter if any of them go, it's going to be a bore anyway. he'll be psyching himself up to fall and splat everywhere

9jerremy that is) and then axt all valiant when he 'comes back fighting' and all that nonsense. no patrick chn, no plushy, no denis ten. actually jeremy should definitely go because when he bombs himself right left and centre he might just get on the podium due to people simply not being there.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Joubert and Verner have definitely retired. Chan is not going to Worlds. Denis Ten probably will not go, because he has a foot injury and boot problems.

Has Patrick Chan made that official? When I watched CBC's coverage of Patrick arriving in America at the airport yesterday morning, I thought he said he hadn't decided yet.

Did that change later in the day?

BlackPack

Medalist
With Jeremy it's getting to be like the Rolling Stones. Just how many "we swear this is the very last, final, ending, never see us again tour ever" (so get your wayyyyyyyy overpriced tickets now) have they had now?

Until the next very last, final, etc. etc etc.

Hope drives humanity. Unlike the Rolling Stones' ability to perform through old age, Jeremy won't likely be able to do a 4-3 at 32.

BlackPack

Medalist

If both bomb, well.....

As Jeremy, it's better not to hope.

Frank said D10's foot has a natural discrepancy; no boot fully fits him. It is very uncomfortable. I wonder if custom order boots help or not. But I am sad that D10 might not go. He is inconsistent so we don't know if he'll skate well or not. But unlike Jeremy, he's had some awesome performances on the world stage.

noskates

Record Breaker
Quite frankly, I think just about any man in the top 10 at Olys can beat Max on GOE. He has beautiful jumps but IMO nothing in between. I wish he had skated to something besides Carmen this year that would have perhaps downplayed his lack of grace and up-played (is that a word?) his athleticism. I have no hopes for him placing in the top 10. I think it's going to be a bleak Worlds this year.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Quite frankly, I think just about any man in the top 10 at Olys can beat Max on GOE. He has beautiful jumps but IMO nothing in between. I wish he had skated to something besides Carmen this year that would have perhaps downplayed his lack of grace and up-played (is that a word?) his athleticism. I have no hopes for him placing in the top 10. I think it's going to be a bleak Worlds this year.

FWIW, Max currently has the 12th highest season's best in the FS, despite not competing since the GP.

Take out Oda, Plushenko, Voronov and Menshov (since there's only going to be one Russian at Worlds, likely Kovtun) and he goes into 8th.

Max is also one of only FIVE men to score 90+ in TES in the free skate. The others being Hanyu, Chan, Oda and Machida.

Overall Max is 15th in Season's Best as of right now, but there are several guys above him who won't be at Worlds: Nobunari Oda, Sergei Voronov, Jason Brown (waaahhh!), Takahiko Mura and Adam Rippon.

So that puts him in the top 10. In addition, he was not at his absolute best at the competition where he got that score.

Max is great at training and I think he'll peak at Worlds since he hasn't had a competition since Nationals. I think Jason could peak at Worlds as well if he was able to go. Given what we seen in the past, he tends to do a solid job in the fall, sort of muddle through the middle then end strongly.

So that's why I think a Jason/Max combo is most ideal, but perhaps Jeremy can prove us all wrong.