What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program? | Golden Skate

What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program?

wootie

Match Penalty
I'm curious as to what exactly Sotnikova was trying to convey through her long program. The Saint-Saens Rondo Capriccioso musical number was trying to evoke...what? What exactly was interesting about her choreography aside from the jumps? Do you think the program was assembled as a showpiece for lots of triple jumps rather than having any real theme? Let's dissect that long program.

FSfan99

Rinkside
The piece that Adelina skated to is "absolute music" and there's no story or plot line behind it. It's different from say "Carmen" which has an obvious story. Regardless, I was confused by her interpretation because it seemed rather disjointed and inconsistent with the music. I get that there's no tangible story to tell, but I don't think she connected with the music at all, unlike someone like Carolina Kostner who absorbed the Bolero rhythm from the very beginning. But maybe there's something deeply abstract about her choreography that none of us (aside from the judges) can understand.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm curious as to what exactly Sotnikova was trying to convey through her long program. The Saint-Saens Rondo Capriccioso musical number was trying to evoke...what? What exactly was interesting about her choreography aside from the jumps? Do you think the program was assembled as a showpiece for lots of triple jumps rather than having any real theme? Let's dissect that long program.

Or let's dissect the passionless Adios Goldmedalo complete with slow spins.

caelum

On the Ice
It wasn't trying to evoke anything. Not only was the choreography awful, but it elicited at least 3 eye-rolls from me (Kostner also got eyerolls for that stupid face mugging), especially that opening which is outright laughable. Whoever choreographed that should be embarrassed. To be frank though, it wouldn't matter if her team hired a good choreographer anyway, she has no connection to the musical structure - at all - so she couldn't execute good choreography anyway. This Saint-Saens piece is beautiful, and it would be amazing to see a better skater take advantage of its remarkable harmonic and rhythmic instability. But Adelina is a tone-deaf robot. Maybe she can develop into something, but I doubt it. Basically, the choreography is just meaningless inserting to carry her to the next element with complete disconnect to a broader notion of a program.

donezo

On the Ice
I enjoyed the first five seconds. Then we devolve into waving to the audience during the spiral. It truly is a baffling program.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I thought the music sounded like electro pop at some moments, and the end was particularly screechy. Adelina has great spirals and spins (not as good as Lipniskaia), but her choreography needs some work. Towards the end, I felt like the music and her skating were two separate things.

This also applies to her short program. In the second half of the short program, I felt like I was just watching her run around on the ice.

CarneAsada

Medalist
I think it was a triumphant farewell to good taste.
No, she was taking inspiration from Aliya Mustafina, another teenage brunette Russian Olympian who was expected to get overshadowed by her younger, blonder teammate. Her wave was a gesture to her haters. The meaning was, "Is that a hater I see? Bye hater!"

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No, she was taking inspiration from Aliya Mustafina, another teenage brunette Russian Olympian who was expected to get overshadowed by her younger, blonder teammate. Her wave was a gesture to her haters. The meaning was, "Is that a hater I see? Bye hater!"

:laugh:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Well, she did a similar wave at Europeans, so I guess it was choreographed and not a spontaneous addition in the moment at the Olympics.

I don't know what the intentions were, but in general it seemed to me that she was trying to match movement to the musical phrasing in abstract ways with some emotional implications, and also to include a variety of skating movements between the elements to earn points. I could analyze in depth, but here at my office while I'm working, and it would only be my perceptions, not Sotnikova's or her choreographer's stated intentions.

BRASILwmr

Rinkside
I thought the music sounded like electro pop at some moments, and the end was particularly screechy. Adelina has great spirals and spins (not as good as Lipniskaia), but her choreography needs some work. Towards the end, I felt like the music and her skating were two separate things.

This also applies to her short program. In the second half of the short program, I felt like I was just watching her run around on the ice.

I totally agree with you. Technically, she is really very well (not perfect) but artistically not impressive. In fact I saw only her technical elements and some frenetic dance and steps in both programs. Too abstract.