Nate Bartholomay: 3.2k

For comparison:
Jennifer Lopez (Jason Brown's new BFF): 26.7m
Yuna Kim: 757k
Russell Wilson (Seattle Seahawks quarterback) 726k
Colin Kaepernick (San Francisco 49ers quarterbacK) 568k
Bode Miller (alpine skiier): 88k
Mikaela Shiffrin (alpine skiier): 36.6k

Gracie went up a lot. Ashley had more than she did prior to the Olympic. Good for Gracie, not my cup of tea but she US number 1

Darnella2005

Rinkside
Gracie went up a lot. Ashley had more than she did prior to the Olympic. Good for Gracie, not my cup of tea but she US number 1

Hi Mrs. P. Did you see the video that's going viral from a guy asking Gracie to his Prom? It is so cute. She said he has made her heart melt. No word if she has accepted his invitation. :love:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi Mrs. P. Did you see the video that's going viral from a guy asking Gracie to his Prom? It is so cute. She said he has made her heart melt. No word if she has accepted his invitation. :love:

I did see the video. It was really cute!

merinheart

Rinkside
Cool idea for a thread. :) Here's some more stats for the curious -

# of followers gained during the Olympics: (only done for the top 6 skaters because I'm lazy like that)
Gracie 74k+
Meryl 59k+
Ashley 48k+
Charlie 42k+
Jason 35k+
Jeremy 15k+

That Jason/Yuzuru tweet doesn't surprise me. I suspect the majority of those RTs were from Japanese fans. I know several of them who went crazy over that photo. Apparently they LOVE seeing him and Yuzuru together. They do seem to have a real genuine, cute friendship. :p

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Mrs. P, you always come up with the most interesting stats. You really should compile them and write up a book proposal. I would buy a copy.

Darnella2005

Rinkside
Mrs. P, you always come up with the most interesting stats. You really should compile them and write up a book proposal. I would buy a copy.

Yes, Mrs. P, I would buy a copy too. BTW, Ms. P - thank you for your wonderful explanation to my question as to why the fun dance team of Shibutani and Shibutani's were not receiving
higher scores in competition. I commented on their SP (of what ever it is called) LOL. a while back on the boards.:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Expanding Mrs. P's topic of Sochi tweeting beyond the Team USA skaters:

(1) ‏@TwitterData
The most-mentioned athletes at #Sochi2014 on Twitter: 1 Mao Asada, 2 @Yunaaa, 3 @OSH74
https://blog.twitter.com/2014/farewell-sochi2014pic.twitter.com/l9FsQl7msq
11:50 AM - 24 Feb 2014
https://twitter.com/TwitterData/status/438038189786148864

#4 Shaun White; #5 Mark McMorris; #6 Akiko Suzuki @Mariakko2010​

(2) Hanyu's gold was the the third-highest "peak moment" driving Twitter conversation, generating 45,750 tweets per minute.
The other Top Five peak moments all were from hockey.
https://twitter.com/TwitterData/status/438038396871532544 (Feb 24)​

(3) ‏@TwitterData
… And this is where in the world is Tweeting about figure skating at #Sochi2014
http://cf.datawrapper.de/vqqQ9/1/ pic.twitter.com/SuU3dSJtRG
9:04 AM - 20 Feb 2014
https://twitter.com/TwitterData/status/436546904575315968 (click on this link to see map)​

(4) These were the most-mentioned sports on Twitter during the Games [source: blog link in Item (1)]:
  • Ice Hockey
  • Curling
  • Figure Skating
  • Bobsled
  • Snowboard

ice coverage

Record Breaker
More Sochi-related social media stats:

Sochi 2014 social media metrics: Hot numbers. Cool conversations. All yours.

A few skating-related excerpts:

28/02/2014

Olympic athletes and fans took social media engagement to new heights during the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, accounting for some 2 billion impressions across all Olympic platforms.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) tracked social media activity on the Olympic Athletes’ Hub, the IOC’s social media platform that combines feeds from more than 6,000 Olympians across Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. The metrics included mentions, likes, shares, photos and interactions across these platforms and VKontakte (VK), the most popular social network in the world for Russian speakers.

By the numbers, the Olympic Athletes’ Hub saw: ...

· The most @mentions across all social feeds were @cdnolympicteam, with over 2,000, followed by @teamgb, @sochi2014, @usolympicn and @pechalatbourzat

· The busiest days were 7 February, the day of the Opening Ceremony, and 8 February, when the figure skating team competition and women’s free style skiing moguls took place.​

Gold medallist and figure skating sensation Lipnitskaya became the No. 1 Olympic celebrity on VK with over 700,000 likes posted on her wall, and over 2 million likes of her photos in a single photo album.

A photo of Davis/White was the fourth most popular on FB and Instagram, with over 130,000 likes.​

Orange Cat

On the Ice
I'm shocked! :eek:

Haha I reckon the popularity of curling increased fairly exponentially following the Vancouver Olympics and the decision of the Norwegian men's team to turn their last-minute crazy pants thing into a running fashion statement. Their pants have a lot of fans. I'm one of them. I followed curling a little bit chiefly because I wanted to see whether the flamboyantly dressed Norwegians would improve on their Vancouver silver...

Going to say what everyone has said, but I love the stats you compile, Mrs P! They're fascinating. I'm surprised Jason doesn't have more followers, actually.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia