Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova receive Mercedes, US$ 120,000 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya, Sotnikova receive Mercedes, US$ 120,000

dcnative

On the Ice
Solovyev posted a picture of his Mercedes keys on instagram. He and Bobrova are gold medalists too.

bsfan

On the Ice
Chinese athelates also get huge bonous from chinese government, province and local government. They may get car(s), apartment(s) or condo from bussines owners. Or get gold. There is big difference btw gold medalists and other medalists, btw popular sports and non-popular sports. Figure skating attracts huge number of viewers.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this sort of thing. I realize the rules for amateurs have changed from the old days and they can't be the same, but my Mom is old enough to remember when Barbara Ann Scott had to return the car she was given after the 1948 Olympics.

We don't have to be quite so strict nowadays, but I'm not sure we should have gone in the opposite direction by giving out expensive cars and huge amounts of $$ to Olympic athletes. It does kind of change some of the original concept about keeping Olympic athletics untainted by glitzy gifts.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"Russian Winter Olympics winners in Turin got Toyota and Lexus cars in 2006 and Audi vehicles after the Games in Vancouver in 2010."
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/russian-medal-winners-rewarded-luxury-cars-223202775--oly.html

(i wasn't searching for that, but if i found it anyway....)

That'll be an impressive collection, then.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this sort of thing. I realize the rules for amateurs have changed from the old days and they can't be the same, but my Mom is old enough to remember when Barbara Ann Scott had to return the car she was given after the 1948 Olympics.

We don't have to be quite so strict nowadays, but I'm not sure we should have gone in the opposite direction by giving out expensive cars and huge amounts of $$ to Olympic athletes. It does kind of change some of the original concept about keeping Olympic athletics untainted by glitzy gifts.

When you have NHL players in the Olympics earning tens of millions of dollars a season, a car looks like peanuts.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
According to Forbes, American medalists also receive cash bonuses -- but via the USOC, not the U.S. government.
The U.S. Olympic Committee pays out a $25,000 bonus per gold medal, $15,000 for silver and $10,000 for bronze. (The money does not come from the U.S. government — the USOC gets its money from the sale of broadcast rights, licensing and trademark income, and corporate sponsorships.)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm...already-owed-240000-in-olympic-medal-bonuses/ (Feb 2014)​

(And according to the article, each of the eight U.S. skaters in the team event is entitled to the bronze bonus.)​

Would Davis/White get both the gold and bronze bonus or just the higher of the two?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It says per medal, so it sounds like Meryl and Charlie each are paid for bronze and gold. The article says each woman's hockey team member is paid, so I would guess each skater of a 2 person team gets paid too?

Amei

Record Breaker

A) NHL and NBA players who have multi-million dollar a year contracts get to play in the Olympics
B) a lot of the big name athletes, like Shaun White, Ashley Wagner, get huge endorsement deals from their time in the Olympics (or even prior to)
C) countries like China, Russia, (at least these are the 2 that I know) help their athletes with the cost of training, should that be stopped - where it's literally only people like Gracie Gold - whose parents are both doctors and probably make a couple $100k a year? Because skating is expensive, the financial support they receive could easily be $25k plus a year.

Glen Parry

Rinkside
No, we tend to give them a gong, like the OBE or a knighthood (Dame) for women. Not worth much in itself, financially, but as the majority are still students/have just left uni, it does look good on the resume.
The big problem of course is that, figure skating isn't the big TV draw it used to be in the days of Curry, Cousins and Torvill and Dean, so they don't get the chance to coin it on the commentary side of things, like the summer athletes (please don't mention the shameful "Torvill and Dean, Dancing on Ice", celebrity show).

cooper

Medalist
correct me if i'm wrong.. american athletes are not exempted in terms of tax? i read somewhere that even if you win gold you still have to pay taxes and even bigger?? :confused:

Amei

Record Breaker
correct me if i'm wrong.. american athletes are not exempted in terms of tax? i read somewhere that even if you win gold you still have to pay taxes and even bigger?? :confused:

I had read on yahoo during the Summer Olympics that the U.S. athletes had to pay taxes on their medals. I agree on taxing them for their prize money, but not the physical medals.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I'm happy Adelina and Yulia got such amazing rewards for a job well done at the Olympics!! :clap:

Out of curiosity--How old do you have to be to drive in Russia?

You got to be 16 to drive a motorcycle, and 18 to drive a car. One can start learning rules two years before that age, but he/she won't get a license until he/she is 16 or 18 respectively.
But unlike in Canada and USA, there are no restrictions or limitations for new drivers.

ks777

Record Breaker
I am so happy for them!! I wish the US would do the same.. some athletes sacrifice so much, they deserve it. I agree, they shouldn't have to pay taxes. Does anyone know how much Japanese athletes got from the government? How about Canada?

ks777

Record Breaker
Ok I just found out that Yuzuru Hanyu got $30,000 from JOC and another $30,000 from Japan figure skating.