Stars On Ice 2014 American Cast Announced | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice 2014 American Cast Announced

samson

Medalist
Stars On Ice just made a press release about the US cast for Stars On Ice this spring.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.starsonice.com/news.html?n_id=432

But to save you guys time the skaters mentioned are:
Meryl Davis and Charlie White Headline (GREAT FOR THEM!)
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold
Jeremy Abbott
Jason Brown
Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Ryan Bradley
Mirai Nagasu

It's a small cast and I guess I was also hoping for some international artists but I guess in these days of belt tightening you prioritize your skaters. They made a point of noting that the entire Bronze Medal winning group from the Team Event is on the tour and I'm really REALLY pleased to see Mirai is also doing it.

She made such a strong impression at Nationals this year with the crowd. She also posted to great videos on twitter from her instagram of her practicing a layback with a hair cutter into the bielmann where she holds her boot (the position looked great!) and then a second one today where she does the pearl into the beillmann with the boot hold. Both very impressive.

Does anyone know if they'll be adding to the cast or how the format of the show will be? Either way it's nice to see the announcement. I may actually consider going to the Anaheim show. I haven't been in years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manitou

Medalist
Stars On Ice just made a press release about the US cast for Stars On Ice this spring.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.starsonice.com/news.html?n_id=432

But to save you guys time the skaters mentioned are:
Meryl Davis and Charlie White Headline (GREAT FOR THEM!)
Ashley Wagner
Gracie Gold
Jeremy Abbott
Jason Brown
Marissa Castelli and Simon Shnapir
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Ryan Bradley
Mirai Nagasu

It's actually a great cast. I will attend the Portland show and will try to take advantage of my DSLR camera. Hopefully I won't be kicked out. It should be a fine addition to my existing gallery:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.229347823774674.55423.147640021945455

w4300

Rinkside
Oh, this makes me so happy. I am going to the Chicago show and was really hoping that Jason Brown and Davis/White would be there. Will be thrilled to see all the others as well.

mintx

On the Ice
They say on the website that additional guest skaters will be added. I'm assuming that Polina will be a guest at the CA shows.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The article forgets to mention that Mirai is also a former National Champion in addition to being the current US Bronze medalist.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
Oh, this makes me so happy. I am going to the Chicago show and was really hoping that Jason Brown and Davis/White would be there. Will be thrilled to see all the others as well.

I'm going in Chicago as well. Can't wait to see Jason and Gracie skating in their hometown!!!
And also, Meryl and Charlie, gosh, I can't describe my level of excitement there.

noskates

Record Breaker
Great to see some new people in this cast. It looks to be a good show!!! So glad Mirai was included. There is another life after Nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What about the Shibutani's? POlina Edmund?

As mentioned in the other SOI thread, the Shibutanis are cast members for the entire SOI Japan tour this year.

I wonder (b/c of wishful thinking ;)) whether the Shibs also might be announced as guest performers for certain stops on the SOI U.S. tour -- e.g., for the Apr 27 Detroit show at Joe Louis Arena, which takes place after the Japan tour ends.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Where in PA? Near Hershey or Pittsburgh? We usually go to the Hershey show, but this time we're going to the Newark, NJ one (closer to Philly).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
joshDfarris 11:31am via Twitter for Android
So excited to announce that I will be performing in the full @starsonice US Tour!! #dreamcometrue

That's great news.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Kerrs apparently are part of the SOI creative team this year.

sinead kerr ‏@sineadskate
Having a blast working with @starsonice creative team in LA:) it's gonna be an awesome show!!:) #starsonice
11:00 AM - 16 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/sineadskate/status/445258440105918464 (Mar 16)​

See also: https://twitter.com/DavidBaden/status/443725703297916928 (Mar 12 tweet mentions both Kerrs + Buttle and Roca)

Digression: I wonder whether SOI prep is the reason that Jason Brown still is in LA today.​

(The Kerrs are not on the announced cast lists for any country.
http://www.starsonice.com/the-skaters.html [BTW, also joining the U.S. cast along with Farris: Czisny; Navarro/Bommentre; and for select shows, Aaron, Castelli/Shnapir, Edmunds. Brown listed for select shows; Chock/Bates MIA.]
http://www.starsonice.ca/the-skaters.html [Canada: Chan, Virtue/Moir, Browning, Rochette, Buttle, Duhamel/Radford, Osmond, Weaver/Poje, Sawyer.]
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/ [Japan: Buttle, Rochette, Arakawa, Oda, Mao Asada, Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, the Reeds, Takahashi/Kihara, Kozuka, Chan, Pang/Tong, Fernandez, Machida (I think), and a female whose face I don't recognize (maybe Miyahara?).]​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That's Yuzuru Hanyu! :rofl:

(The caption under the photo definitely says so.)

:eek: Thx, and so sorry. His hair looks so different to me, and on the city pages that show the thumbnail faces of all skaters, I obviously did not recognize him. :bang:
(And I did not realize that if I waited long enough, a bigger version would show up in the rotation of photos on the home page.)

CrystalClear

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I just attended the Stars on Ice 2014 show in Orlando, FL yesterday, and it was all shades of awesome!

Jason Brown and Polina Edmunds were the guest performers. Of course we got to see Riverdance and Can't Touch This from Jason. Polina Edmunds did a very nice routine to Billy Joel's Uptown Girl. She really showed a lot of showmanship and pizzazz. I hope for good things for her skating in the future.

There was a group routine with the ladies and with the men. The guy's routine was more fun with lots of dancing and hamming for the crowd. The two ladies behind us could not say enough times "How cute is Charlie White!"
The ladies did a very interesting contemporary routine with a barre. It was quite enchanting which I think was the desired effect. The only part that made me nervous was when the other ladies lifted Meryl overhead. All I could think was, "Don't drop Meryl. She's got Dancing with the Stars tomorrow, and she still has to skate Scheherazade tonight!" Nevertheless, the trick went off flawlessly. Meryl was safe and all is well.

The other skaters performed the routines as listed on the SOI program (listed under music on the website). Suffice to say that everyone performed really well. Sure there were some saved landings here and some two-footed landings there, but nobody hit the ice and the performances were not "watered down." No need to go into detail because this show happened to be the one that was filmed for television broadcast! I did not know that until the show began and Scott Hamilton came out and made the announcement. I think the show will air April 13th on NBC.

Of course, they allowed the skaters to repeat some of the elements with shaky landings, so with the magic of television editing, the performances should be flawless.

I am certainly glad that we made the trip to see the show live. I doubt they will air all of the performances on television, so I certainly feel that it is worth it to see the show if you are anywhere near the tour stops.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you, CrystalClear for the lovely review! I hope SOI really sells lots of tickets this year!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I second Doris' thanks, CrystalClear! I'm looking forward to going myself in May!

And welcome to Golden Skate, post often and post long! :)