Michael Christian Martinez inspires FS in his Country | Golden Skate

Michael Christian Martinez inspires FS in his Country

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's always great having new countries pioneering FS like Yuna did for South Korea, looks like we have next in line
but oh boy get ready for some new uber fans coming this next quad :disapp:

Martinez inspires tropical country Phlippines and philippino children to take FS with his new superstar status:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D-3yW12VnQ&app=desktop

Barb

Record Breaker
Video not available, but it is great, I think he has a bright future too :popcorn:. And about fans I think there are not more passionate fans than koreans, may be only brazilians :yes: ( but lucky for us they are not very good in figure skating)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Well I think is good he is receiving a lot of attention so his country supports him more in the future

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I believe he will be at Jr. Worlds, where he can definitely make top ten, perhaps medal?

I think he has the goods to medal. He isn't unique but he is special. I wish he had better choreography though.

I think his SP is very decent but the FS is really not suited to his strengths or the music and is a big miss.

He has a lot of special qualities and I hope that all of this attention will secure him some sponsorships to enable him to train in US full time and work with highest level choreographers.

According to Kudriavtsev, who coached him before the Olympics, he has an incredible work ethic, is very committed and works really hard. He's also been improving his performance skills are showing more showmanship which coupled with his flexibility, make a big impact.

I wish him all the best.

P.S. It's interesting how both of the male Filippino skaters are very interesting presentation-wise. :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I am so happyfor him. I really hope that this sudden popularity will mean that skating will grow in popularity globally. What a dream.

spikydurian

Medalist
It's always great having new countries pioneering FS like Yuna did for South Korea, looks like we have next in line
but oh boy get ready for some new uber fans coming this next quad :disapp:
Why are you shaking your head? The more fans the better.

emma

Record Breaker
I was so delighted to watch Michael skate! And I really hope this exposure means positive things for his training situation. As others have noted, he has a lot to work on, for sure, but a show-man quality and lovely flexibility and posture. I can't wait to see more of him!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^So happy! Congratulations Michael! Continue working hard and hopefully I can see you at Pyeongchang in 2018 in medal contention!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
normal fans will be a great addition
but new potential rabid and bots are not

Yeah, rabid fans who are obsessed with a skater are the absolute worst. :sarcasm:

I'm thrilled that MCM is garnering popularity of FS in his country! :clap: And he's a fun skater to watch.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thrilled for his great results for Philippines. Not a bad looker this kid either. Has pin up potential in a few years maybe even rival Hanyu?, BBC raved about him and he has a big fan in Robin Cousins.

The more minority countries do well in this sport the more healthy it thrives. Brazilians do celebrate their athletes too, and they have Isadora Williams also upcoming who I was lucky to have seen live and enjoyed her Memoir of a Geisha program.

arcticwolf

Rinkside
Congratulations to Michael! Let's focus on positive things first, like his getting recognition in the Philippines and hopefully, more support from the government. I think our country needs a new Manny Pacquiao hahaha XD Kidding aside, I hope he comes back next season more healed up with a more polished and competitive program (and maybe a quad!).