Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Actually you all are wrong... It wasn't Gracie. Yuna Kim was the first to skate to Let It Go AND not only she skate the song but she SINGS it http://youtu.be/6tZaMLObLCI

She does sing it, but they are using clips from her "Imagine" exhibition, which is beautiful. She would make a great Elsa even though she isn't blonde. *restraints herself from gushing about the sheer angelic quality of skating in that video*

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I doubt it. I liked a few of her movements where she mimicked Elsa's hand motions, but I found that she repeated almost the exact same step/movement sequence two times, in almost the same part of the rink and direction. I was really hoping for more variety. Maybe she is the perfect exterior image for Elsa but the program itself could be better. I think if someone else skates to Frozen in his/her own way, it will not be associated with her.

I have a feeling that this program was thrown together very hastily between Worlds and the start of the tour. It sure looks that way to me.

I'm not at all worried about the quality of jumps at this point. It's been a long hard season and she hasn't stopped or rested yet. Yeesh.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She does sing it, but they are using clips from her "Imagine" exhibition, which is beautiful. She would make a great Elsa even though she isn't blonde. *restraints herself from gushing about the sheer angelic quality of skating in that video*

Oh gush away! That video makes me want to see Kim to a rendition of it. Although, Kim can turn most types of music into something special.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The only problem I have with his song is I dislike it. Don't really get the hype over Frozen. :scratch: maybe it's just my taste but I prefer Tangled. If there is anyone who would skate to Tangled's "I see the light"...:love:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The only problem I have with his song is I dislike it. Don't really get the hype over Frozen. :scratch: maybe it's just my taste but I prefer Tangled. If there is anyone who would skate to Tangled's "I see the light"...:love:

A lot of kids like it and it won the Oscar for best animated movie and best song. And a lot of people are doing covers and the like. So it'll be popular for the next few months.

cooper

Medalist
why so many people obsessed w/ frozen's let it go?? in korea the song and the movie is very popular.. i just don't get it.. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
A lot of kids like it and it won the Oscar for best animated movie and best song. And a lot of people are doing covers and the like. So it'll be popular for the next few months.
I mean, I don't even think it's a good song. I think it's cliche' and kind of melodrama which is not my taste. I like Tangled, though. I would love to see people skate to "I see the light".

sk8in

Match Penalty
I think its popular because its a 'girl power' anthem, which is a first in a Disney movie kind of. Its basically a rewrite of the song the same singer (Idina Menzel) performed in Wicked, Defying Gravity. Like it is literally the same arc of, 'Oh I am a witch who has just discovered her power! Now I am going to go realize my true potential and be an outcast! And PS: I don't care watchu thaink!! *snap snap* People just eat that crap up. With regards to figure skating OBVIOUSLY it is perfect---because it is an ice princess song. Plus, everyone says Gracie Gold is icey and has no connection with the audience haha. So it works in this ironic kind of way.

pamela

Rinkside
I can't see Gracie's costume because the video is blocked in my country, but I saw Yuna's and it's boring, she has a cute voice tho n.n

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I can't see Gracie's costume because the video is blocked in my country, but I saw Yuna's and it's boring, she has a cute voice tho n.n

First of all, Yuna was skating to the song "Imagine" by John Lennon - about world peace. I thought the dress was perfect for that, and far from boring. Meanwhile Gracie has a very fitting sparkly dress very much similar to the movie itself.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Gracie's Sleeping Beauty costume was already pretty on point for a Let It Go exhibition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I mean, I don't even think it's a good song. I think it's cliche' and kind of melodrama which is not my taste. I like Tangled, though. I would love to see people skate to "I see the light".

I'm not a fan of the song either. It sounds screechy, and personally I think Idina Menzel's voice doesn't "fit" Elsa's character. I've seen a lot more pleasant covers/renditions on Youtube.

I mean, it's not like it really matters that it won best song, seeing as how Three Six Mafia won for "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" a few years earlier, so you can't exactly take the category very seriously.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I'm not a fan of the song either. It sounds screechy, and personally I think Idina Menzel's voice doesn't "fit" Elsa's character. I've seen a lot more pleasant covers/renditions on Youtube.

I mean, it's not like it really matters that it won best song, seeing as how Three Six Mafia won for "It's Hard Out Here For a Pimp" a few years earlier, so you can't exactly take the category very seriously.
I agree, but some winners were truly deserving. I love Ghibli's animation such as Spirited Away. Come to think of it, if only some skaters choose Joe Hishashi's music as background. It would bring something fresh.:)

dasani

On the Ice
I agree, but some winners were truly deserving. I love Ghibli's animation such as Spirited Away. Come to think of it, if only some skaters choose Joe Hishashi's music as background. It would bring something fresh.:)

Actually, Kozuka used Fantasia for Nausicaa from Ghibli's Valley of the Wind as his Free Skate music for the 2011-12 season. ;)

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice
Yuna's ice show will be presenting

Yuna will be presenting Frozen medley as her ice show opening :):) including 'let it go'

They also said the closing ceremony would be "Time to Say Goodbye" - by Lucio Quarantotto & Francesco Sartori. The music will be played by the orchestra. :):):) So excited to see the grandeur of the ice show.

I think I will be crying during the closing ceremony.

Just in case if anyone is curious of Yuna's gala program, It's "Nessum Dorma" a song from musical Turandot. of course with the orchestra too.

I wish I could be there.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Actually, Kozuka used Fantasia for Nausicaa from Ghibli's Valley of the Wind as his Free Skate music for the 2011-12 season. ;)
Yeah, I remember that.

However, my inner anime otaku urges me to point out that - while we all consider Nausicaa to be a Ghibli movie... technically it is not, because it was produced before Studio Ghibli was officially formed :-D

Interspectator

Record Breaker
...It's not a very good song to skate to. Besides the theme, of course, but the music itself is kinda, not bad, not terribly good, just okay.
And it's not that I don't like Disney songs, I love the sound track to Tarzan, Brave, Lion King etc, but 'Let it Go' doesn't seem to have much going for it in terms of crescendo or beats that would be good for a skater.