Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved Gracie's performance of it @ SOI last night! Her costume was gorgeous, too!

JayW

Final Flight
They also said the closing ceremony would be "Time to Say Goodbye" - by Lucio Quarantotto & Francesco Sartori. The music will be played by the orchestra. :):):)

It looks like Yuna made her mind firmly to leave the competitive skating. I hope KSU won't press her in 2018, she's already done plenty for her country.

I already start to miss Yuna.

chalk5

Match Penalty
Hi Guys.

Looks like Yuna Kim will be performing Let it Go in her ice show.
http://sports.media.daum.net/sports/general/newsview?newsId=20140410160914058

Google Translate

'Figure Queen' Kim (24, All That Sports) Hot bye stage of active retirement and decorate a beautiful time of blessing 'Samsung Galaxy ★ Smart Air All That Skate 2014 "program was unveiled in the opening and finale.

Organizers of the ice shows All That Sports (CEO Park Mi Hee) is 4 to 6 May in Seoul Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium three days held in special ice rink 'Samsung Galaxy ★ Smart Air All That Skate 2014' program, the opening animation 'Winter Kingdom' the OST of 'let-Piece (Let it go)' medley, including the winter kingdom, Francesco Sartori finale of the program 'Time to Say Goodbye' to showcase said.

chalk5

Match Penalty
Gracie and Yuna seem to respect each other, and Gracie especially looks up to Yuna given similar age gap, and the role model she is for many skaters.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
she saw Gracie's SOI skate ? :)
glad Yuna saw how amazing Gracie skated to it and following the trend !

I want to quote someone else from some random thread

Wise words of wisdom said:
Stop trying to make Gracie happen. It's not going to happen.

Okay but really, I am sure this version will be totally different from Gracie's. Yuna never skated anything that remotely resembled somebody else, even though her style in the beginning was very reminiscent in maturity and clarity to Michelle Kwan. I am willing to bet that it will be completely unique.

Plus as someone else has already noted, the choreography of Gracie's program leaves much to be desired. It is a joke to say that it is what could have "motivated Yuna to skate to it".

flutzy13

On the Ice
I loved Gracie's performance of it @ SOI last night! Her costume was gorgeous, too!

I saw Gracie's Let It Go last night as well and was underwhelmed. The program feels very thrown together (which I believe it was in a weekend)- its pretty much jump, exaggerated arm movements, repeat three times, final spin. And then she doesn't even do anything exciting on the big note of the final chorus. The costume is blindingly sparkly but she looked very pretty. And I will give her that the song seemed to excite her littlest fans in the audience. Conversely, her Chicago is much better and she actually gives a performance.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Plus as someone else has already noted, the choreography of Gracie's program leaves much to be desired. It is a joke to say that it is what could have "motivated Yuna to skate to it".

Gracie skated to it first
so Yuna must have seen or heard Gracie has already skated to Frozen ;)

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist

Let it Go is a really, really, really popular song. I doubt Yuna cares about what Gracie does, and if she skates to something it's not because someone else skated to that music, it's because she or ATS people wanted her to.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a video of Gracie skating in SOI to "Let it Go." It's a nice program but kind of bland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbKdMG-NiU4

And to be nitpicky, what is going on w/ her 2A? And her spiral position is just not good. I'm spoiled by someone like Mao who has such lovely extension on her spirals and they have impact.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

As mentioned, the song is very popular. I'm sure CanSkaters and junior skaters started skating to it the moment it came out and before the movie/song became as popular as it is.

Gracie isn't a trend-setter by skating to Let It Go, she's riding a trend... and the tail end of it at that.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As mentioned, the song is very popular. I'm sure CanSkaters and junior skaters started skating to it the moment it came out and before the movie/song became as popular as it is.

Gracie isn't a trend-setter by skating to Let It Go, she's riding a trend... and the tail end of it at that.

all Im saying Frozen will mostly now be associated with Gracie
being the first elite World level skater to skate to it

pamela

Rinkside
First of all, Yuna was skating to the song "Imagine" by John Lennon - about world peace. I thought the dress was perfect for that, and far from boring. Meanwhile Gracie has a very fitting sparkly dress very much similar to the movie itself.

I was talking about the costume she's using at the end, in the photoshoot. Being a gala I hope it had more details.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Let it Go is a really, really, really popular song. I doubt Yuna cares about what Gracie does, and if she skates to something it's not because someone else skated to that music, it's because she or ATS people wanted her to.

This. Additionally, it was Gracie who was fangirling and drooling to get a pic with Yuna at the Olympics (just like every other young skater there). When some top-10 in the world skaters is drooling and fangirling to get a picture with Gracie (and it may someday happen), then I'll think someone as famous and successful as Yuna might possibly give a crap what Gracie does (though Yuna still won't... she seems beyond all that to me).

cooper

Medalist
lol @ this thread now.. i think "let it go" is very popular all around the world.. because of the movie frozen.. though i still don't get the song..

desertskates

Medalist
This. Additionally, it was Gracie who was fangirling and drooling to get a pic with Yuna at the Olympics (just like every other young skater there). When some top-10 in the world skaters is drooling and fangirling to get a picture with Gracie (and it may someday happen), then I'll think someone as famous and successful as Yuna might possibly give a crap what Gracie does (though Yuna still won't... she seems beyond all that to me).
:thumbsup:

jaylee

Medalist

all Im saying Frozen will mostly now be associated with Gracie

she saw Gracie's SOI skate ? :)
glad Yuna saw how amazing Gracie skated to it and following the trend !

Quite right.

When Gracie Gold announced she was skating to "Let it Go" with much fanfare in the footnote of an Icenetwork article that was about a different skater, there was an immediate storm of excitement and anticipation among figure skating fans in South Korea. After a fuzzy fancam of her performance on SOI appeared on Youtube, it immediately received hundreds of thousands of hits within the first twenty-four hours--the majority from Korea. The performance, and the song, became so wildly popularly that it retroactively was responsible for the animated film, Frozen, becoming the #1 most successful animated film in South Korea of all time, inspiring numerous covers by Korean singers that received hundreds of thousands--even millions--of views. All South Korean fans immediately became Gracie Gold fans via her moving and inspiring performance. One fan, also a Yuna Kim fan, created a Yuna Kim montage to "Let it Go," but barely anyone noticed--only 856,000 views so far (but some little website called the Hollywood Reporter took note of it). Samsung ingeniously decided to take advantage of the "Gracie Gold wave" and had Yuna Kim sing "Let it Go" to a montage of her skating--but unfortunately, since it didn't feature Gracie, it has only garnered 1.4 million views.

Hence, the decision to have Let it Go in the All That Skate show can only be attributed to Yuna seeing Gracie's SOI performance and an instantaneous reaction to copy the one and only Gracie Gold.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
all Im saying Frozen in the scope of figure skating will be associated with Gracie Gold for those who have actually watched her skate to it

Fixed. Most of the world currently associates Frozen with being an Oscar-winning movie with an Oscar-winning song and being a worldwide phenomenon, and have absolutely no idea Gracie Gold skated to it, let alone who she is. Gracie Gold, in the skating world, is associated with Frozen. Not the other way around.

It's a great exhibition song, and hopefully the choreography gets better. Right now there are far more memorable exhibition pieces, and iconic skating pieces in general. Usually Disney movie soundtracks don't make for iconic, timeless performances (I guess Kwan's "Reflections" is about the only exception).

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Most of the world really doesn't care about Frozen or Let it and does not consider it worth being skated to at all.

And in my mind the only thing associated with Gracie Gold in 20 years from now will be sky_fly20