The 1 Loop Jump in a jump combo | Golden Skate

The 1 Loop Jump in a jump combo

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm hoping its just me and I'm searching for words of encouragement here. I try to stay positive about skating and find the best in it. However I find the 1Lo in the middle of a jump combination to be very disruptive and kind of ugly(like a bird with a broken wing). To me it's similar to a beautiful Christmas tree but a few lights are burnt out and my OCD takes over until I eventually find replacement bulbs and tidy it up. Maybe I'm over analyzing here but maybe some positive insight/words of encouragement could help me not :rolleye: when I see it and instead :clap:

Icey

Record Breaker
I agree. When I first see one, my reaction is always that a mistake has been made . Just can't get used to them.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
The loop is used to reset the take off edge for the third jump of the half loop combo, such as shifting to a back inside edge for a triple salchow.

I know! It always looks like the skater made a mistake and had to hop on the other foot to keep from falling. Either that or he forgot is choreography and then said, oops, I was supposed to do another jump there. :laugh:

I think we will get used to it, though, as more and more skaters use that trick to squeeze in an extra jump without Zayak problems. I finally got used to Patrick Chan's half-loop combo. I think the key is to really stomp on the half-loop, like you are saying, yes, this really is what I am trying to do!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't like half-loop combos either.

caelum

On the Ice
No, I dislike the half-loop in the middle of combos too. I find it generally unattractive and every time I see it my brain immediately just thinks it's a mistake. The problem is that it's not a seamless motion. Hopping into the half-loop is usually awkward and then there is this disruptive delay before the take-off into the salchow. Patrick Chan occasionally make it look alright, and Hanyu's at Japanese nationals wasn't too bad either, but it's just an unattractive move. More generally, I'm not too big of a fan of most people's 3-jump combo's, but that's a different story.

jkun

Final Flight
It's ridiculous and ugly! I think Patrick Chan is only person I've seen that has made it look semi-OK..

bebevia

On the Ice
All single (=placed at the beginning of combo, or no combo) Loops are awkward in my eyes. I guess it's the awkwardly long, no short, no long... length of gliding time into it? It's always so... off by not too much, but awkward much. Looks so unbalanced. Though, I was okay when they came as the second part of a 3-3Lo or 3-2Lo, since the combo in-between timing suits Loops better. Single Loops I didn't hate (not like) were timed less awkward, but they are often technically not great loops. Maybe I'm just not a fan of backward takeoff edge jumps, since I also like salchow less than toe jumps; good salchows are great.

CarneAsada

Medalist
haha, that would have to be someone absolutely OBSESSED with getting the maximum points possible from their jumping passes..
It would be interesting to see multirevolution jumps used as setups for the 3S. Like a 2(one-foot)Axel-3S combination. I'd love to see that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
haha, that would have to be someone absolutely OBSESSED with getting the maximum points possible from their jumping passes..

Shoosh. Don't tell Plushy.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Maria Butyrskaya's use of the .5 loop was funny (it seemed as if her knees cracked). Sasha Cohen's .5 loop in between her 3TL-3S combo (often displayed in her Rach #2 from the 02-03 season), was so much aesthetically pleasant.

koheikun90

On the Ice
i like that combination. i like how hanyu does it in particular. my fav though is plushenkos 3axel 1 loop 3flip. crazy combination and it hasnt been peformed since.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It reallyis a difficult combo even if it looks awwkward. I thought Joannie did it too. It really is amazing though when you think a triple lutz loop triple salchow combo or even triple toe loop triple salchow although I think it would be easier usually to do a triple salchow triple toe combo instead and save the three jump combo.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It would be interesting to see multirevolution jumps used as setups for the 3S. Like a 2(one-foot)Axel-3S combination. I'd love to see that.
It was actually done frequently and quite beautifully by Jill Trenary; should be on YouTube.

I think the problem with some of today's .5 loop combos is that the skater just steps into it instead of jumping it with some height and flow. There should be a definite jump-jump-jump cadence.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I would like to see someone do a full loop in this combo instead of doing the half loop. That would be tricky.

It is this combo and the 2A sequence that i dont fully like- if they are not done confidently, they dort of look like mistakes.
(on a side note what are peoples opinions on skaters who do 3T+2A instead of the more talked about 2A+3T?)