Canadian Entries at Worlds 2014? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadian Entries at Worlds 2014?

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
But Chan said, "I don't even know if I want to go to another Olympics" -- according to Lynn Rutherford for IN.

I'll have to rewatch it for his exact words. Maybe it was not a definite "yes, I'll be there", but it sounded like a real possibility.

ETA: I watched it again, and to the question will you be in Korea in 2018, he said that 4 years was a long time to do the same thing every day, and that he would take a year off "avant de recommencer à nouveau" - before starting over again. I thought he meant starting the process of training for the Olympics over again. But I did read that he wants to compete at Worlds next year and the following years, I guess I mixed up the interviews. I'll try to find that article when I have time.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'll have to rewatch it for his exact words. Maybe it was not a definite "yes, I'll be there", but it sounded like a real possibility.

ETA: I watched it again, and to the question will you be in Korea in 2018, he said that 4 years was a long time to do the same thing every day, and that he would take a year off "avant de recommencer à nouveau" - before starting over again. I thought he meant starting the process of training for the Olympics over again. But I did read that he wants to compete at Worlds next year and the following years, I guess I mixed up the interviews. I'll try to find that article when I have time.

Some of what Rutherford wrote about Chan and Worlds:

In the same IN article, another Chan quote is, "My long, long-term goal is to win another world championship."

And from @LynnRutherford's live-tweeting of yesterday's Skate Canada presser:
Chan says not sure about another Olympics; may tackle "worlds in '16, '17, '18 even '15."
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/440585160694960128 (Mar 3)​

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Oh cool, you understand French! Those of us who participate in Patrick's Fan Fest thread are curious what the questions and responses were. Can you translate the Patrick parts? (Some of it is probably just "normal" media answers, but you never know with Patrick).

Alvyne has done a good job of summarizing most of it. Chan doesn't know if he'll go to another Olympics, but he did say in yesterday's Skate Canada press conference that he might come back for another Worlds. (We'll have to see since the technical level in singles advances quickly these days and it can be difficult to catch up). Yuna Kim is one of the only recent Olympic medalists that has come back after taking time off. Others like Lysacek, etc. who said they would later changed their minds.

Anyway, Patrick was on a panel with a couple of other athletes and with a new Montreal city supervisor or somebody, so the show featured several different people on other topics with Montreal politics, etc. But I think the main thing people will remember with Patrick was his discussion of how his parents were Chinese immigrants who felt it was important for their family to learn both official languages, and the French audience was impressed with that. Patrick learned English from his Mom and French from his Dad.

Patrick went to French high school in Toronto with Paul Poirier.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
Yeah so originally on Nam's new twitter account in the bio it said that he was representing Canada at his first Senior Worlds.. Hoping he has a solid showing since he just got the triple axel consistent this year.

Did not realize Liam Firus did not get the minimum score for Senior Worlds this year. Were the technical scores lower then for the Olympics?? Because I was pretty disappointed in Skate Canada's decision not to send Elladje over Liam since they knew Elladje could do a 4T...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
There was a close contest between men's skaters at Nationals with the guys in positions 2-4 (eg. Reynolds, Firus, Baljdé, etc.) working hard to see who would go to Sochi with Chan. I was there in person this year, and it was probably the most intense contest after the one for the 3rd Dance spot. EB skated pretty well in the long, but missed out on 3rd to Firus. If I remember correctly, I think Firus even had a slight lead over Reynolds after the SP, so although he dropped from 2nd to 3rd in the LP, I think people assumed at the time that he would have a better Olympics result than he did. No one would have expected him not to qualify for the LP - that hasn't happened to Canada in quite a while.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Skate Canada announces ISU World Figure Skating Championship teams:
Senior Men’s
Elladj Baldé, 23, Pierrefonds, Que.

Senior Ice Dance
Piper Gilles, 22, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 22, Unionville, Ont.

:party::party:

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
I was there in person too Ryan O!

I was really pushing for EB over Liam since he did have the ability with a better skate to score higher..

But yes I was really disappointed to see Liam skate so poorly in his short program and not even qualify for the long.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Funny that Chan wants to compete at Worlds, even in 2018, yet not the 2018 Olympics, but I guess it's more stressful to go to the Olympics since you have to stay in the village (or most do, anyway) and are sometimes expected to remain there longer. Plus, he would have to complete the team competition too, I guess.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I was there in person too Ryan O!

I was really pushing for EB over Liam since he did have the ability with a better skate to score higher..

But yes I was really disappointed to see Liam skate so poorly in his short program and not even qualify for the long.

I guess the challenge for Canada right now is that none of the Canadian guys are really that consistent yet. Reynolds has times where he can be very on (eg. when he won 4 Continents) and other times where he can be off (finishing only 15th at the Olympics). The same goes for Firus, Nam, and Elijah. Firus was pretty good at Nationals, but then finished too low in Sochi to make it to the LP. And Nam and Elijah finished far down from the podium at 4 Continents this year (as did Jeremy Ten, who may retire).

The objective will be for at least one of these guys to try and become more consistent so they can start moving up!