Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

KJGL

Rinkside
I think this is exactly what DWTS's aim is. It is not a show about talent, or dancing pedigree, it's a popularity contest. Yes, popularity contest. Which says to me that D/W won't last long :slink: I wonder if Nene Leakes will make it to the finals :laugh:.

You don't need to be good dancers, heck you don't even need to have any natural ability at all. It does take stamina every week though. All these things mirrors D/W's own ice dancing career.

I know, those darned DWTS fans--sportsmanship is important to them.

And sure, if Bill Engvall can make the final, why couldn't NeNe Leakes?

Matt K

On the Ice
I know, those darned DWTS fans--sportsmanship is important to them.

And sure, if Bill Engvall can make the final, why couldn't NeNe Leakes?

Not necessarily just sportsmanship, but personality and charisma. With this current lineup I'm not sure D/W will last long in those two areas. Hopefully Maks brings out better qualities in M. Davis. Maks/M. Davis might, just might have a good chance.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Yay for Meryl and Charlie! Can't wait to see what sort of routines they'll do. I think Meryl would be especially lovely in ballroom, especially the Viennese Waltz and Foxtrot :biggrin:

On the other hand, given that M&C have probably had substantial ballroom/ latin training, hopefully we'll get some really interesting and difficult choreography (possibly more akin to what you'd actually see at a dancesport competition).

Hikaru

Final Flight
Yeah, but just when Maks finally gets a good partner they're going to have to switch partners mid-season, which figures.
lol the first thing I thought when reading about a rule change, was "just like in The Hunger Games!".

millie

Medalist
Lol yea. Do they have a 2nd rate Canadian version they can get on?

Of all the competitors on this seasons Dancing with the Stars, Davis and White are the least famous.....other than a few figure skating fans. Davis doesn't have the assets to get votes, plus these judges will be fair. I was hoping that she would have gotten cosmetic surgery on her nose.......like Virtue did hehe.

Jayhawk

Spectator
Just for fun, I think it would be cool to see Tessa dance with Charlie and Scott dance with Meryl. Each team could have a professional coach - - maybe Derrick Hough and Mark Ballas.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
Of all the competitors on this seasons Dancing with the Stars, Davis and White are the least famous.....other than a few figure skating fans. Davis doesn't have the assets to get votes, plus these judges will be fair.

lol, uhhh no the z-listers they got this year are particularly and especially z-listery. apart from maybe nene leakes and the chick from full house, meryl and charlie are probably the most recognizable, even if it's just because they just came off the olympics

Matt K

On the Ice
lol, uhhh no the z-listers they got this year are particularly and especially z-listery. apart from maybe nene leakes and the chick from full house, meryl and charlie are probably the most recognizable, even if it's just because they just came off the olympics

He/she was talking about the most FAMOUS. Regardless of being a D or Z Lister. Snooki was on DWTS, was she not? I would think more people in America recognize/know her more than Davis, no?

As for the others, I think more people know who Drew Carey and Sean Avery are than D/W.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
He/she was talking about the most FAMOUS. Regardless of being a D or Z Lister. Snooki was on DWTS, was she not? I would think more people in America recognize/know her more than Davis, no?

uhhh they didn't even get anyone particularly 'infamous' this year like snooki either. meryl and charlie are up there as far as name recognition goes with this group of nobodies they're in

some people are already saying meryl and charlie being on the show is unfair, but i'm not sure i really see meryl and charlie as particularly natural dancers. someone like tessa is a natural, fluid dancer, you can see it in the way she moves and the way she does cheesy group choreography during galas. i see meryl and charlie as primarily figure skaters who have dance training

although i guess the 'training' part is their point

tulosai

Record Breaker

Yes, and also Drew Carrey is more recognizable, but I think Meryl and Charlie have attained more widespread recognition than you seem to think in the past month here in the USA. They have made the media circuit. Nearly everyone has seen their picture and knows who they are and what they did. This is good timing for them with the show, since this level of recognition that they currently have will not last long, that I strongly agree with/admit.

ks777

Record Breaker
DWTS is for beginners, those with no dance training. Aside from the cheesetastic production and vibe (which I don't really mind), it's quite mockish and not about showcasing exceptional dance talent. It's a popularity contest, which is okay too, those are always fun. The best dancers don't necessarily win. Weaker dance teams are more likely to win, but I guess D/W know all about that in their competitive careers as ice dancers :laugh:.

Now that D/W are going to be dancing on the floor, I'm glad we won't be seeing their shallow edges and toe picking steps running on the ice. That said, Charlie is by far the weakest ice dancer out of the team (and among the top 3 men in ice dance) so it will be interesting how he fares with his partner. I want to see some passion and commitment, and better leg lines and unison, which is probably easier on the floor than on the ice when they actually have to be on edges.

Whatever they do, I hope D/W start actually enjoying their performance. Over these last seasons, especially this current one they don't look like they enjoy ice dancing together. True, they don't have that IT factor nor charisma, so hopefully their superior partners bring something sparkly out of them. Both D/W have very limited range of movement as shown in their ice dancing careers, maybe the professionals on the show will help improve these things.
Your comments are getting old. don't you have anything better to do?

Hikaru

Final Flight
Just for fun, I think it would be cool to see Tessa dance with Charlie and Scott dance with Meryl. Each team could have a professional coach - - maybe Derrick Hough and Mark Ballas.

Tha show would be call "dancing with the ice dance stars" for sure.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'll put a request in the NYPL (the public library here is awesome!).

For those who have seen the movie, would the soundtrack make good skating music? I'm surprised no one has done a Hunger Games program.