Saturday Night Live Korea Parodies Adelina | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Saturday Night Live Korea Parodies Adelina

usethis2

Medalist
The judging in Sochi was itself a parody of the scoring system. And it was done with a straight face. So this is basically the parody of a parody. OTT is a given.

You should have not ruined this hilarious thread with such truism.

Alba

Record Breaker
But let's face it...the Russians didn't really even pretend to hide what was going on (LOVE that pic of the Russian judge hugging and celebrating with Adelina a few minutes after handing her the gold medal). I mean, come on!

There is nothing wrong with that really, not in figure skating anyway.
Judges are involved with "their" skaters, you can see the scores they give to them. They even advice them on their costumes, what to do and what not, etc. The Japanese judge called over Hanyu while the judge was still at the boards.
This was told in a documentary about Tonya Harding "Anything to win" for example.
The judge from UK in Ice Dance, Courtney Jones helped Torvill and Dean choose the music, designed the costumes and advised Torvill and Dean as to the legality of their boundary-pushing moves. So nothing new there.

This is not to say that there is no fixing etc., far from it, but the arguments brought about the nationality and the parental links of the judges are ridiculous. The judges are nominated by the national federations, not by the ISU. As such, these "national" judges cannot be expected to be impartial per se. It's not right but that's the way it is, and it's for everybody: Russian, Germans, USA, Canadians included.
Family ties or even personal high-level involvement in national federations is common.
Samuel Auxier is the First Vice President of the US Figure Skating Association, and judged both men's programs. Karen Butcher is a Director of Skate Canada’s Board of Directors, and judged the Olympic pairs' short program. Franco Benini is a counselor to ITA Federation, and he was a judge in the ladies free. Rossella Ceccattini is a council member of ITA Fed, and was a judge in both Ice Dance Competitions.
I'm sure you will find plenty of further examples, if you can be bothered to Google some judges' names.
As I said, all judges are members of their respective federations, often holding administrative positions themselves. Not only in figure skating, but also in other judged sports.
The objectivity of all of the judges representing nations is questionable (the german judge in Pair's free in Nagano anyone?).
They are all friendly close with each other because it’s a small community. Its considered the job of the nation's judge to advocate for their skater.

I have nothing against an opinion. I myself think that Sotnikova's scores in components were too high, but if people and especially the press wants to accuse the judges than better bring solid evidence not stupid arguments, which frankly it's a double standard judgment and therefore sounds very hypocritical and sour grapes.
My suspicion is that very few people are really interested in changing the figure skating in a positive, and the press it's certainly not among these few people. Very easy to shout about corruption and fixing after you don't get the result that you're rooting for, and very easy to write about "a high official said" this or that. Give us names not gossip!!! But I guess that's what they want in the end, gossip, scandals and controversy.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If the Russian TV had (and should have) a similar skit on Yuna then this forum would explode with outrage.
That's what it is: laughing at my fave's opponent is hilarious and classy, but the same laughing at my fave is a serious offense.

For the record I am not a Yuna uber and a fan of Adelina's skating and I found it funny for the reasons stated above.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the record I am not a Yuna uber and a fan of Adelina's skating and I found it funny for the reasons stated above.

And I thought the GTA Korean independence fighter skit was hilarious...thanks for sharing:)

sowcow

On the Ice
I cannot believe so many of you thought it's funny. ...The disgusting person who is meant to be Adelina does not resemble Adelina in the slightest way, and therefore, this whole "parody" fails to persuade.

So, you must have enjoyed this MadTV skit about Figure Skating Commentators (parodying Scott Hamilton) which also included the scene-stealing appearance by Michelle Kwan! (hmmm ... she does seem huskier in real life!)

:rofl:

winky97

Medalist
Ok, I am sorry, but this was hilarious to me. I try to remember that Adelina is a 17 year old girl, but them doing that "gala" performance was funny.

prettykeys

Medalist
The judging in Sochi was itself a parody of the scoring system. And it was done with a straight face. So this is basically the parody of a parody. OTT is a given.
I thought this exact same thing. ;)

It was funny to me, and I'm not feeling apologetic about finding it funny. Then again, I have an easy sense of humour. Few things are too low for me. :p

And yes, people have different senses of humour. I once laughed at a video of someone who thought they would neatly jump over some divider-rail in an office...and he failed, tripping with baskets falling over him. Someone else was appalled, saying that I lacked sympathy. hahahaha

Nadya

On the Ice
Judges are involved with "their" skaters, you can see the scores they give to them. They even advice them on their costumes, what to do and what not, etc. The Japanese judge called over Hanyu while the judge was still at the boards.
This was told in a documentary about Tonya Harding "Anything to win" for example.
The judge from UK in Ice Dance, Courtney Jones helped Torvill and Dean choose the music, designed the costumes and advised Torvill and Dean as to the legality of their boundary-pushing moves. So nothing new there.

This is not to say that there is no fixing etc., far from it, but the arguments brought about the nationality and the parental links of the judges are ridiculous. The judges are nominated by the national federations, not by the ISU. As such, these "national" judges cannot be expected to be impartial per se. It's not right but that's the way it is, and it's for everybody: Russian, Germans, USA, Canadians included.
Family ties or even personal high-level involvement in national federations is common.
Samuel Auxier is the First Vice President of the US Figure Skating Association, and judged both men's programs. Karen Butcher is a Director of Skate Canada’s Board of Directors, and judged the Olympic pairs' short program. Franco Benini is a counselor to ITA Federation, and he was a judge in the ladies free. Rossella Ceccattini is a council member of ITA Fed, and was a judge in both Ice Dance Competitions.
I'm sure you will find plenty of further examples, if you can be bothered to Google some judges' names.
As I said, all judges are members of their respective federations, often holding administrative positions themselves. Not only in figure skating, but also in other judged sports.
The objectivity of all of the judges representing nations is questionable (the german judge in Pair's free in Nagano anyone?).
They are all friendly close with each other because it’s a small community. Its considered the job of the nation's judge to advocate for their skater.

I have nothing against an opinion. I myself think that Sotnikova's scores in components were too high, but if people and especially the press wants to accuse the judges than better bring solid evidence not stupid arguments, which frankly it's a double standard judgment and therefore sounds very hypocritical and sour grapes.
My suspicion is that very few people are really interested in changing the figure skating in a positive, and the press it's certainly not among these few people. Very easy to shout about corruption and fixing after you don't get the result that you're rooting for, and very easy to write about "a high official said" this or that. Give us names not gossip!!! But I guess that's what they want in the end, gossip, scandals and controversy.

Yes! It absolutely boggles the mind when the media clings to the story of "judge A knows Skater B" as if it is a proof of anything. It's figure skating! It's a small community, everyone knows everyone, works with everyone, coaches everyone, supports everyone.

I also think that the time to question the judges' integrity is before the event, not after it. I agree that Balkov should not be judging but he should not be judging REGARDLESS of how he votes. Do people have a problem with Shekhovtsova on the panel? It's stupid, but OK, let's bring this up before the event. Otherwise, what people are saying is they don't mind questionable judges as long as they judge the way people like.

BlackPack

Medalist
I dunno if there is such a thing as Russian SNL, but if they did a skit poking fun at Yuna fans for wuzrobbing and Yuna for popping a jump in her EX, it would be interesting to see the reaction.

The bots were bad enough even when Yuna was winning everything.

You are wise...

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia

This is an awfully good post. I'd say exceptionally good, true, and grounded post that stands out from other posts in those often fruitless discussions that have been around lately. Except one thing:

So, the community of figure skating has developed a weird world of their own whose internal relationships are as odd as the costumes that skaters wear. What reaction of the outer world did you actually expect after confrontation, then?

BlackPack

Medalist
Personally, I thought the video was quite funny.

It's too bad Adelina is thrust into the limelight in this manner. I just hope she has a good support group to guide her through this media bashing.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yes! It absolutely boggles the mind when the media clings to the story of "judge A knows Skater B" as if it is a proof of anything. It's figure skating! It's a small community, everyone knows everyone, works with everyone, coaches everyone, supports everyone.

I also think that the time to question the judges' integrity is before the event, not after it. I agree that Balkov should not be judging but he should not be judging REGARDLESS of how he votes. Do people have a problem with Shekhovtsova on the panel? It's stupid, but OK, let's bring this up before the event. Otherwise, what people are saying is they don't mind questionable judges as long as they judge the way people like.

Yeah, the things I wonder all this time about the press: why didn't they call out the questionable judges before the competition? Why didn't they protest when Balkov was chosen in the first place?

Spinerette

On the Ice
I♥Yuna;880541 said:
Funny skit - but I wonder how long the bitterness will last? It'll be sad if she remains the butt of jokes like this for the next four years (this is part of the consequences of handing her the title undeservedly).

Unfortunately, Adelina will be remembered for the undeserved gold. The score was too big. If they were clever they should have made it a little closer. But of course they didn't want to take any chances. I doubt Adelina will ever win Worlds.

chronos13

Rinkside
It's a comedy show that's parodying the ridiculous judging at the Olympics. Seriously, people should just calm down because shows like this aren't meant to be taken seriously. I personally thought that it was funny, especially when they were saying "thank you" in Russian.