PCS of Japanese Skaters | Page 3 | Golden Skate

PCS of Japanese Skaters

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Hanyu's score was fine. He fell but didnt skate badly otherwise and got 10 points lower than he got at the Olympics. Machida's score was the official opening of Japanese inflation at these worlds though.

chloepoco

Medalist
Thus far, looks like Machida and Hanyu are getting home PCS at their home Worlds competition.

Kozuka still has to find a judge to hug :yes:

The European commentators thought he deserved a world record for his performance. Perhaps the fact that Machida just had the skate of his life had something to do with his PCS?

FTnoona

Final Flight
The European commentators thought he deserved a world record for his performance. Perhaps the fact that Machida just had the skate of his life had something to do with his PCS?

And that shouldn't though. Having a skate of your life doesn't change the choreography, the transition, and the skating skills. Even at nationals Machida's PCS for a comparable skate was 42.40 unless the argument there was that he was being held down for Hanyu. The judges were being generous in front of a home crowd - it happens and people eventually move on.

usethis2

Medalist
They don't want to reward people too much for skating cleanly pretty much due to luck. I think this is pretty fair.
I liked majority of your post but I don't agree with that part. That is not fair at all. Besides which, being able to skate a clean program requires tons of practice. Yes, some may get lucky that day and some may have a diarrhea all day, but unless we have rules accommodating all those nuances before a competition, there should not be any reward for past performances on any given performance. No one argues Michael Phelp coming back and winning 4 more golds without breaking records ilegitimate. Figure skating fans are a little too hung up on the notion of desert, IMO.

David21

On the Ice
And that shouldn't though. Having a skate of your life doesn't change the choreography, the transition, and the skating skills.

Of course it does. If you do your crossovers and your transitions with more speed, committment, attack etc., the scores for skating skills and transitions should go up. I admit the score for choreography shoud be relatively stable but we all know that, sadly, the judges do not differenciate between the diferent components anyway.