IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview | Page 4 | Golden Skate

IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is starting to sound like that 30 Rock episode where NBC claimed that they faked the 2008 Olympics by adding "Events" like tetherball, synchronized running, and octuples tennis. http://youtu.be/BnxxzbC3djs

I think I'll post this in the NBC thread as well. Good to know they didn't lose hundreds of millions again. Or did they?

Spinerette

On the Ice
What difference does it make at this point? The medals have been given out. Yuna has retired and is hopefully moving on with her life. Adelina is doing whatever Adelina does. What possible outcome can come from this other than another 200 page thread on GS?

Well IOC is definitely making harder for the everyone to forget. They're attempting lame tactics to change people's thoughts. So I guess it doesn't matter to you then that an organization is constantly lying to people. Even a casual viewer can tell a difference between a toe and a lutz. And also printing fake quotes from Yuna, how low could they get? The IOC made a pact with the devil.

Spinerette

On the Ice
First, there should be prove that this quote actually existed. It's so easy to manipulate digital images, and everyone knows it. Yet, everyone is so eager to think bad of everyone else and believe the worst - I am just shocked. What about "innocent before his guilt is proven"?

If it was the truth, they would have not removed it. Besides Kim's agency has declared that the quote is false. If they're telling the truth the quote would be still up there. And why would Kim' agency request it to be removed. It is the agency's job to remove such things that are fake and to remove things that falsely represents their client.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Julie K., what if these Olympics were in the US, would you have the same opinion? Just say that an American skater won under the same circumstances, would you have the same opinion of America as you do Russia, corrupted and manipulative.
I don't think so!!.

The world wasn't watching figure skating, only a select few. I live in Canada and I listen to the news .....I have yet to hear any propaganda of how Russia is corrupt and manipulative because of the outcome in figure skating at the Sochi games.

It is widely acknowledged that there was widespread corruption at the run-up to the Salt Lake City games. Rather than do everything possible to deny that anything wasn't peachy keen, the charges were brought to light, and an entirely new management team was brought in to run the games. The USOC didn't issue press releases with made-up quotations.

The corruption in the figure skating judging has taken a backseat to the invasion of Crimea by Russia, which is a far more important story. And yet another example of how Russia is corrupt and manipulative.

starrynight

On the Ice
I don't work for IOC, why should I find excuses for their actions? Seriously I had to Google to know what IOC stands for. :laugh: The whole thing sounds very shady, very fishy indeed. But other than this there is no more obvious proof that I can find, so I just don't quickly jump to a harsh conclusion right away. IOC is not one person, you know. The writer might get paid by certain someone to fabricated the quote, or he/she just misquoted it from an unreliable sources, we can never tell for sure, can't we? That does not mean the whole IOC is corrupted. It's common sense.:p

This is a false light tort case. Do you really think it will make any difference whether the writer was an employee, an independent contractor or an intern of the IOC? Even if the writer was a volunteer worker, he or she is the "agent" of the IOC and IOC is clearly liable as a principal under respondeat superior. This may not be your common sense but this is law.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I don't agree with the "what's done is done" approach,
Even if the outcome of this specific event will never change,
Any person or organisation who might think they can get away with **** like that in the future should feel the heat every! single! time!

Respect the future of the sport and the skaters you admire and don't hush controversy down, The best approach for skaters will always be graciousness,
That's why the fans and supporters (and federations) need to do the "dirty work" for them ;)

usethis2

Medalist
This is a false light tort case. Do you really think it will make any difference whether the writer was an employee, an independent contractor or an intern of the IOC? Even if the writer was a volunteer worker, he or she is the "agent" of the IOC and IOC is clearly liable as a principal under respondeat superior. This may not be your common sense but this is law.

While I do not think there is enough wrong to bring a suit in a court of law from this, the principle you subscribe to is correct. Chain of command exists for a reason.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I do not think there is enough wrong to bring a suit in a court of law from this, the principle you subscribe to is correct. Chain of command exists for a reason.

This is a great point but I have to wonder if the IOC has signed statements and release forms regarding the athletes willing or unwilling use in promotion of the games. Be it TV,Web, press release etc. Lawyers make everything quite sticky...lawyers and PR people equals a lot of slimey potential. I'm not a fan of mis-quoting or taking things out of context. That's for sure!!

RABID

Final Flight
IOC being the overlord of olympic games, I thought this organization getting caught fabricating non-existing interviews to make things look nice was 'mildly' news-worthy, don't you?

Obvious to you and me, not so to others apparently.

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
INMO Ioc conducted itself as if it's overlord at era of absolutism and the FS fans being Analphabet.
Goodness, this organization is realla behind the times. :bang: