Happy International Women's Day! Let's celebrate women in figure skating! | Golden Skate

Happy International Women's Day! Let's celebrate women in figure skating!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Happy International Women's Day! Let's celebrate women in figure skating!

i had mentioned this in another thread, but thought it would be fun to have a thread in honor International Women's Day, which is today!

So let's talk about the women in figure skating, past and present, that have contributed greatly to this sport.

As I mentioned elsewhere I like to give props to Kori Ade. I admire her because she basically built her career from the ground up. She started coaching in her mid-20s as a way to pay for medical school but ended up sticking to for the long-haul thanks in part to a little boy from Highland Park, Ill. named Jason Brown. :biggrin:

It sounds like many times in her career she was told that she couldn't do it or that she needed to pass Jason on to a "bigger name" coach. But yet she preserved and got to reap the rewards to taking Jason from the basics to the Olympics! Not only that she's became quite well-respected among the figure skating coaching community for her coaching techniques.

Regardless of what happens with Jason's career, I will always be a Kori Ade fangirl!

Speaking of which, if you want to give props to her to on Int'l Women's Day, be sure to vote for her for the O.C. Tanner Inspiration Award: http://www.octanner.com/olympics/2014/jason-brown/

So tell me about the women in figure skating that you think are awesome!

This is indeed a great thread. Happy Women's Day, everyone. We could also mention Linda Leaver, Brian Boitano's coach from the beginning to the end of his career. I'd also put in Sandra Bezic, especially in her capacity as a landmark choreographer for both competitive skaters (Kristi, Tara, Chen Lu, Kurt Brian B., and innumerable others) and for pro skaters and the entire Stars on Ice ensemble.

Maribel Vinson Owen, the pillar of American skating for decades, also deserves a shout-out.

And I have to mention Michelle....just because!

LRK

Record Breaker
I know this isn't quite what you meant, Mrs P - but I hope you can overlook that, as I didn't know quite where else to put this?

Evgeni Plushenko‏@EvgeniPlushenko·15 tim
Happy 8th March,ladies! Аnd happy 73rd birthday to my dear Alexei Mishin!

Plushenko News_Eng‏@PlushenkoNews·14 tim
RT @EvgeniPlushenko: These flowers are for you, dear women! I love you all
https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko/status/442243663713009664/photo/1

Plushenko News_Eng‏@PlushenkoNews·14 tim
RT @EvgeniPlushenko: Dear girls, women, mothers, grandmothers - Happy Holiday! I wish you love, happiness, good health! And more smiles!

To be in keeping with the intent of this thread.... Midori Ito. My favourite lady skater - ever. No one will ever take her place in my heart. Her 3A was amazing - and the infectious joyfulness of her skating no less so! Love her!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:bow:Yulia Lipnitskaya!! I know she is a kid but she brought attention to one of the worst human tragedies in history and gave a voice to the children who endured it. It may have only been a few minutes out of the Olympics but anyone who saw her skate was reminded of the horrors that took place. May we never forget! :clap:

Yuzuru Hanyu's Mother(can't find her name) for raising a shining example for the world to see and for being by his side as he travelled the world over in search of success! :clap:

Miki Ando for more than I could possibly articulate into words! :clap:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The Moms of all our skaters...they get them to the rinks, hold their hands and foot the bills!! A special shout out to Cheryl Davis and Jacqui White, who handled themselves with grace in all the Sochi interviews.