Agnes & Mirai | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Agnes & Mirai

Nocturne

On the Ice
Agnes is done

so is Flatt, Gao - full time Harvard plans now ?and Zhang
Nagasu - too inconsistent and age is not on her side

This is a thread about these two young ladies and their current skating situation discussed by supportive fans.
If you have nothing good to say about it, then dont say anything at all!
No need to spread your negative opinion about certain skaters again and again. We understand by now that anyone who's not gracie gold is a bad skater and should just kill herself.
It's gotten really annoying.

b-man

Final Flight
Just hope Mirai doesn't end up with Zakrajec as a coach. Never met him, but he has always been among my least favored coaches.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Agnes is done

so is Flatt, Gao - full time Harvard plans now ?and Zhang
Nagasu - too inconsistent and age is not on her side

If Nagasu gets a consistent coach that works with her style and helps her with more technical stuff, as well as consistency - I think she still has some opportunity. Mirai's only 20, she has some time left.

Gracie's only two years younger than Mirai, and Wagner is two years older. Wagner's already said she's shooting for Pyeongchang - in this case, time is favoring Mirai over Ashley. And if Mirai can keep doing programs with the same fire she did at Nationals, she could still have a future in the sport. And for all you know, Gracie could be taking the same spiral that Mirai did - placing right off the podium at her first Olympics then losing consistency. It's improbable but there is a chance it could happen.

Flatt retired with class and dignity after doing her best while on a full Stanford workload. Gao placed right off the podium this year at Skate Canada while on a full Harvard workload. Zhang, I will admit, has been off her game for a while now, but there's no need to target them in a thread about Mirai and her hopes for the future.

I hope being in SOI will light the fire under Mirai and encourage her to keep going forward. I hope she continues to train and act with class and dignity even after the Sochi decision.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Nagasu gets a consistent coach that works with her style and helps her with more technical stuff, as well as consistency - I think she still has some opportunity. Mirai's only 20, she has some time left.

Gracie's only two years younger than Mirai, and Wagner is two years older. Wagner's already said she's shooting for Pyeongchang - in this case, time is favoring Mirai over Ashley. And if Mirai can keep doing programs with the same fire she did at Nationals, she could still have a future in the sport. And for all you know, Gracie could be taking the same spiral that Mirai did - placing right off the podium at her first Olympics then losing consistency. It's improbable but there is a chance it could happen.

Flatt retired with class and dignity after doing her best while on a full Stanford workload. Gao placed right off the podium this year at Skate Canada while on a full Harvard workload. Zhang, I will admit, has been off her game for a while now, but there's no need to target them in a thread about Mirai and her hopes for the future.

I hope being in SOI will light the fire under Mirai and encourage her to keep going forward. I hope she continues to train and act with class and dignity even after the Sochi decision.

Mirai cannot continue to be nonchalant about her skating. There are other girls perhaps more hungry coming up who also have better jumps and age is on their side.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I so wish Agnes had the $$ to go to another coach. There is an elegant skater in her.....I see bits of it at times. I just don't think Z et al know what to do with Agnes. I also hope Mirai looks elsewhere for coaching.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I felt for some time Polina Edmunds is a younger, and probably a better version of Agnes. So Agnes decided not to retire after all. Competition next year is going to be tough as well at nationals.

flying camel

Medalist
Tom is not one of my favorite coaches, but I don't think he would be that bad of a coach for Mirai. He does have a reputation for being able to teach the jumps. That's what she needs. She can always look elsewhere for choreography.

I also don't see Agnes going any further. Her nerves are just not cut out for competition. It is just torture watching her trying to compete.

Nigel

On the Ice

Actually, Gao took a leave of absence from Harvard to train/compete this season. She has not been taking classes since her first semester as a freshman at Harvard.

Zawadski: she needs an influx of funds to keep training at the highest level and that is unlikely. She also needs a "skate whisperer"... Someone who can reign in her nerves. :-/

Flatt was a class act in Boston. :). Went out on her own terms. She looked so happy at the conclusion of her LP and beautiful in her SP.

Nagasu: also needs funds to continue to train at the highest level. She should be at least on the B envelope with USFS, but she really needs someone who will help her completely narrow her focus on each individual element within a program, so that she doesn't make the mistakes that have have marred her programs in recent years.

Spinerette

On the Ice
It's really terrible how things have turned for Mirai. She's so talented. Watching Mirai is as frustrating as watching Jeremy. They're both so talented. They could even be olympic gold medalists and world champions. I think she should go to Orser and maybe represent Canada. It's strange skating is popular in Canada but you don't see too many great female skaters. Osmond doesn't really do it for me. She's second tier, IMO.

b-man

Final Flight
Nagasu: also needs funds to continue to train at the highest level. She should be on the B envelope with USFS,

I thought Mirai was on B envelope this year due to a bronze medal at NHK (2012-13) season. I thought a bronze at Boston Nationals this year would put her in envelope A next year, though I could be wrong. She should also get some kind of paycheck for all the SOI tour appearances coming up.

desertskates

Medalist
This is just random speculation, but since Mirai is being paid for SOI, and if they both worked part time, perhaps they could pool their resources and start fresh in a tiny apartment roommate sitch somewhere else entirely. But it's silly enough for me to think that much money grows on trees :/ Mirai showed spark at Nationals, and I'm not yet ready to write Agnes off.
So for now, I'll just hope Kori Ade scoops them both up :)

jdlee

Spectator
I've come across many posts regarding Mirai Nagasu's alleged poor work ethics, etc. I'm curious as to the sources regarding this info, or perhaps they themselves have seen Ms.Nagasu in training? The limited times I've seen her practice skate in the past, didn't think she was any different from other skaters on the ice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is just random speculation, but since Mirai is being paid for SOI, and if they both worked part time, perhaps they could pool their resources and start fresh in a tiny apartment roommate sitch somewhere else entirely. But it's silly enough for me to think that much money grows on trees :/ Mirai showed spark at Nationals, and I'm not yet ready to write Agnes off.
So for now, I'll just hope Kori Ade scoops them both up :)

Yep! That would awesome. Actually it would be quite beneficial. There's a lot of ice time in Monument.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I thought Mirai was on B envelope this year due to a bronze medal at NHK (2012-13) season. I thought a bronze at Boston Nationals this year would put her in envelope A next year, though I could be wrong. She should also get some kind of paycheck for all the SOI tour appearances coming up.
A envelope is National Champion, World/Olympic medalists usually

mskater93

Record Breaker
I've come across many posts regarding Mirai Nagasu's alleged poor work ethics, etc. I'm curious as to the sources regarding this info, or perhaps they themselves have seen Ms.Nagasu in training? The limited times I've seen her practice skate in the past, didn't think she was any different from other skaters on the ice.

Most of this belief revolves around her own admitance that she didn't work that hard in Artesia on the days she didn't commute to Palm Springs which she mentioned in her telecon pre-nationals in 2012 (when FrankC was in PS and she was commuting) and other implications from Charlene Wong when they parted ways after 2009 Nationals (she didn't come out and SAY that Nagasu's work ethic was questionable, but she did dance around it and imply it). These, along with the story about her leaving the ice in tears during the first week she was working with FrankC because of his training methods/plans make people question it. Also, a lot of people around this sport have eyes and either she doesn't work hard or she doesn't work smart in practice because her programs typically start well but as they progress, she slows down and the number of UR and DG jumps increases which implies that she's not well trained. This implies that she doesn't do full runthroughs consistently in practice.

b-man

Final Flight
A envelope is National Champion, World/Olympic medalists usually

I looked it up, Mirai gets envelope B, tier 1 next year, as either 2nd to 4th at Boston Nats, or as 1st Alternate to Olympics and World's team.
Agnes, with her 6th and 7th in grand prix events, 4th in a senior B, and 11th at Nationals, goes from envelope B this year, to apparently not qualyfying for any funding next year, not envelope B or C.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

usethis2

Medalist
Well, I've recently re-watched the final flight of Vancouver, and Mirai's performance had quite a similar quality to Adelina's performance in Sochi. (including flutz) Mirai had all the qualities she needed to become a top skater - Good speed, solid jumps, amazing spins, etc. And she had a post-puberty body already in 2010.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is not 2010 any more. Mirai has a different body and unfortunately she no longer skates with the expression and enthusiasm she had four years ago. Even at 2010 Worlds just a month later, she was a completely different skater and the Vancouver Mirai was already gone.

It's unrealistic for Mirai fans to expect a reincarnation of the 2010 Mirai. No matter how hard she trains or how good a coach she finds, her body is completely different and so is her outlook. She can certainly improve her skating deficiencies (URs, stamina issues) but she has to want to express some kind of personality on the ice, something that she has seemingly been reluctant to do for the past four years. Technically correct skating alone won't help the sagging PCS scores she's been receiving from ISU judges. She has to show that she is fully invested in her skating and even feels some kind of joy in it, or she'll never get the high PCS scores she used to get back in 2010.