Can Anyone Tell Me Whereabouts of Triple Polinas? | Golden Skate

Can Anyone Tell Me Whereabouts of Triple Polinas?

on_the_horizon

Rinkside
I remember three Polinas who were active during a couple of seasons post Vancouver: Polina Shelepen, Polina Korobeynikova, and Polina Agafonova. They were pretty decent skaters in my memory. Shelepen was two-time JGPF/Russian Jr. National silver medalist. Korobeynikova was 2011 JGPF bronze medalist and 4th at the 2012 Eurioean Championships. Agafonova was 2010 Jr. World bronze medalist and 2010 Russian Jr. Champion.
I haven't heard anything about them recently. Does anyone on this forum know what they have been up to? Would appreciate if you can let me know. Thanks.

on_the_horizon

Rinkside
Thank you Sam-Skwantch and bebevia for giving me info. Russia's pool of talents in women's figure skating is truly frightening. So many talented young girls...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
polina edmunds ate them and absorbed their power

Well done hyperinflation! :clap: :points: I LOVED that comment!!! Very clever and witty! ;) :biggrin:

Polina Shelpen: She's in Israel
Polina Korobeynikova: Injury & growth
Polina Agafonova: Competing Senior-B's

Good summary, bebevia.

When I read this thread when it was first started, something was bugging me. It kept going though my head "was there not already a fourth Polina before Polina E came along...?"

But, I couldn't think who this Polina could be. So I kept quiet.

Fast-forward 3 weeks, and I was just looking though my Facebook news feed. And I saw a list of Instagram photos that had been "liked" by a certain Ukrainian Ice Dancer (Anastasiia Vykhodtseva, in case you are interested). And one of the photos jumped out at me, and I shouted "That's her!"

Polina Ogareva

Polina O was quite successful in the Ukrainian Championships a few years back:

3rd in Junior Ladies in 2007/08;
1st in Junior Ladies in 2008/09 (SP);
6th in Junior Ladies in 2009/10 (SP, FS);
3rd in Senior Ladies in 2010/11 (SP, FS).

But, I can't find any results for her since then. It is like she has disappeared from the face of the Earth.

HOWEVER, what I have found out that she has been doing a lot of modelling the past few years. Catwalk stuff (example), magazine stuff (example), that sort of thing.

I haven't a clue if Polina O is still skating. So, does anybody else know?

CaroLiza_fan

gmyers

Record Breaker
If I'm not mistaken agafanova experimented briefly with pairs but it was only a brief flirtation. Then she placed second to leonova in the big leonova gosviani battle of 2013.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So is Polina like the name Ashley for Russian girls born in the 90s?

Not quite. Especially when you consider that Ashley is supposed to be a boy's name...

When I was growing up (in the 90's), all the Ashleys I knew were male. Sure, there were 2 boys called "Ashley" in my P1 class!

So how "Ashley" became a girl's name, I don't know! :confused:

On the very rare occasion that you came across a female with the same name as Miss Wagner, it was spelt "Ashleigh".

They are other cases where boys names have become girls names. But, usually it is with a different spelling.

For example, my uncle is called "Leslie", but I went to school with a girl called "Lesley" (who, incidentally, is the cousin of one of the male Ashleys I was talking about earlier...)

Personally, I reckon that it was just laziness that the female spelling became the same as the male spelling.

Sure, look at the name pronounced "Lee". This spelling is now often used for both the male and female versions of the name. But, when I was growing up, the female version was always spelt "Leigh".

That said, when I was at University, I became friends with a girl who spelt her name "Lee". And she is older than me...

Anyway, back to your question. If you translate a Russian results page in Google, it always translates Polina as "Pauline" (my cousin's name!) Which is the female equivalent of "Paul".

The name "Paul" and its derivatives have been around for donkey's years. So, it is hardly a new thing.

However, a lot of names go in and out of fashion. In the late 80's, the name "Kylie" became a very popular name to give baby girls in the UK. The Australian soap "Neighbours" was very popular at the time, and one of the stars was a certain Kylie Minogue. But, then the name went out of fashion after Kylie left "Neighbours".

There might be a similar reason why "Polina" became a fashionable name to give baby girls in the former Soviet states in the 90's. But, I can't think of any obvious candidates that would have caused this trend.

Similarly, I can't think of any obvious reason that it became fashionable in the 90's for Americans to give their daughters a boy's name... :p

CaroLiza_fan

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Similarly, I can't think of any obvious reason that it became fashionable in the 90's for Americans to give their daughters a boy's name... :p
No rules when it comes to fashion.

I would also add that in my day, only boys were named Michael, Robin, or Sean too...

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
My name, when I was born, was #600 something in popularity. Now it is in the top 10. Babies stealing my name!!!

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
My name, when I was born, was #600 something in popularity. Now it is in the top 10. Babies stealing my name!!!

The same happened to me! My name sounded very old-fashioned when I was born, but lately it's gaining popularity. I feel a bit robbed, too!